Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of my rescue today. I found out when I got to the shelter that today was supposed to be her day to be put down. I had to take her home after finding that out. She was in horrible condition. I have been raking/brushing her all night...her hair was so matted that she couldn't have been brushed for a year! Her teeth need to be cleaned badly, she has fleas, but the biggest deal so far is that she is in heat...ugh...I haven't ever had any experiences with a dog in heat before since I've never had a female dog before. She has a vet visit tomorrow to find out about the rest of her health. So, Rascal is staying inside for now and she is outside. Not the ideal situation, but she is very friendly and is a sweetheart. She doesn't mind being brushed at all (which is a very good thing!) and my daughter already loves her.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
She's beautiful. Have you done rescue before? I love the red huskies!
I hope she gets a clean bill of health so you can spay her asap and start getting her used to your boy, your family and your home.
Please be aware that dogs in heat can also be cranky, I don't know how old your daughter is but to watch carefully when they are together. Rescues also take a while to show their true personality so don't assume she is fine until you KNOW she is fine, successful adoption depends on you setting her up to succeed by not putting her in any situation where she may feel the need to make her own behavioural decisions.

Oh, and I'm assuming since you have Rascal..that your "outside" is escape proof? LOL..you know huskies!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Her tail looks pretty in the picture, but it is actually a big ball of matted fur. I have been raking and brushing all night and this morning and she looks a lot better now. The groomer won't take her until Thursday though since we aren't sure of her medical status/shots yet. She is really going to be pretty once she is groomed properly.

I have not done a rescue before. My first dog was from a pet store. (I know, I know...) DH bought Rascal from a couple out in the country on a quasi-farm. I consider him rescued by looking at the conditions, but he was not a rescue.

I am not assuming she is fine yet. My daughter got mad at me yesterday because she is not allowed to be around her by herself. She has to have me or her daddy with her. She seems really sweet, but you never know...

I was really worried all night that I would wake up and she would be gone after finding some way to escape the yard. They are a sneaky breed! LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts