Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Welcome Sophie, What kind of dog am I?

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  fusionrx 
#1 ·
This weekend after much searching, we picked up Sophie. Sophie was a stray picked up in Hillsboro, Ohio who'd been picked up with her sister and brother (pack/littermates). About 1 year old.

She is still skinny (30lbs) and is VERY submissive. Not fully housebroken, nor fully crate trained, but we are working on that. She doesn't climb stairs (is afraid of them) or jump on furniture. She does really well with our dog which was key. They have played together, and there is a minimum of conflict (limited to a bit of growling when she was tired and just wanted to lay down and sleep). Has barely ever barked (maybe 3-4 times, usually when startled).

She went in today to get spayed. We'll get her back tomorrow afternoon.

Now for the $64 000 question: What kind of breed is she?

Rescue org said she was a collie,shepherd mix. Too small for that in my opinion. She looks like a fox. Curly tail like husky. Big paws. Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have any solid guesses as to what she might be but she is soooo flufffyyyy I wanna hug herrrrr <3

#3 ·
I'd say [Golden or Labrador or other] Retriever mixed with collie, husky, or chow.

I vote for Golden x Husky mix. You can go to Google, select images on the top menu bar, and search for pictures of the various mixes... the picture are just a guess, not authoritative, but will give you ideas.

#4 ·
I think she's too small to be Collie/Shepherd or Golden/Husky. Sheltie/Shiba? Aussie mix? And she has rear dew claws! She's a cutie anyway.

#7 ·
What do the rear dew claws signify? From looking at photos I'd say Sheltie Inu, but doesn't have the double coat. Has the curly tail like Husky/Shiba Inu. Floppy ears though. Dog is always panting and hot, and drinks like a retriever (water everywhere!).

#14 ·
I'm gonna stick with Sheltie/Shiba. The more I look at her pics the more I see it (or could be Aussie/Pom. . .but herder/spitz of some sort). I don't think she's big enough to be Golden/Chow either.

#16 ·
I don't see sheltie at all for what it's worth. I think she's got several breeds. Chow was my first thought mixed with a herder, maybe aussie? Probably some other breeds in there too.

For the record, the term 'collie' doesn't always mean rough/smooth collie depending on who labeled her that or where you're located. In a lot of parts of the world and in many farm type areas, a 'collie' is a border collie or just a farm dog. I don't see lassie collie but I could definitely buy that there was some 'collie' type in her.

#20 · (Edited)
Update a couple of weeks out: She has since been spayed, and had the rear dew claws removed. She has adapted to house living well and we have given up crate training her. She HOWLS and is very unhappy in a crate. She is now sleeping and remains allowed to roam during the day (in a confined area). She's put on weight also and is now up around 35lbs.

Housebreaking seems to be going well, although we found she had been using a small dog/cat bed for a piddlepad (thouroughly soaked, and a recent #2 beside it). Wasn't super bad, but showed signs of recent use, maybe 2-3 times. Luckily it wasn't on carpet, but it was on our hardwood floor :-(. We've since cleaned and de-smelled the area with the enzyme cleaner stuff, but are keeping a wary eye on her in that space (just off the living room). To that effect, we'd like to keep her 'contained' to the tile areas during the day. We are looking at the gates to close off an area.

We have a couple in mind, any suggestions as to a good or bad brand? She clears a 'normal' height gate with no problems (shes a jumper) so we are going for the tall+ gates.

These are the ones we are looking at: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18111&cmpid=01cseaz&ref=4144&subref=AA

http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-0941P...-White/dp/B000JJFNJK/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1

Any experience or recommendations for this?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.