Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got St. Vincent, a shichi, on Monday and so far so good! We call her 'Vinnie' and she already responds to her name. She's pretty cute! Colored like a Saint Bernard but the size of half my forearm!
The people who I got her from, unfortunately, let me take her before she was ready. She's only about six weeks old but, is eating dry food really well. My boyfriend and I are dealing with her being without a mommy by letting her play with dogs we know have had their full rounds of vaccinations. She's socializing really well and, hasn't even bothered to bark at anything. She's just very very curious and seems to really like new people and things. Her favorite game is to prance over to the kitty and try to lick her. Kitty doesn't know what to think of the game and usually just walks away.

When we got her, the people she had been with had a dog bed for the mom and pups set out on carpet, on which the puppies piddled!
So, Vinnie is having a hard time learning about wee wee pads but, this morning I caught her just in time, gave her a treat and then! Later, she had most of her body on the pad but, still kinda missed. I said good girl and didn't treat her.
Vinnie is doing REALLY well with her crate so far though. When she got home we didn't have it yet so, I just made a little bed for her and when she'd plop, I'd just stick her in there for her nap. After we got the crate, I packed it with all the stuff she'd been sleeping on and with and now she does great! She takes all her naps in there and seems to really love it!
I don't think she's really old enough to have the door closed on her, so we made a kennel space in the back room. Since she's so little it wasn't that hard. I put wee wee pads down EVERYWHERE and put boards up so she couldn't get out.

The only problem that we are having is that when she wakes up she won't go on the wee wee pads in the kennel! She only likes the feel of carpet under her feet, which we only have 1 small area rug, so she waits until she feels that carpet under her feet! Which, since we're catching her quick enough to put her on the wee wee pads, hasn't been a problem. I just don't want this to be her long term area!

Other than that, Vinnie is settling in very well. I'm surprised at all the adorable things she does! She's still very chewy since she's a baby but, she responds well to 'OUCH' said shrilly.

I love my new puppy lady!!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
It might help removing the area rug for now until she sees the pads as the primary place to go. If the pup isn't being left alone for long periods of time while she is in her crate, I think it would be ok to close the door.

Sounds like you're off to a good start, minus where you got her from. Next time you consider bringing a puppy into your home, either rescue or buy from a reputable breeder.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts