Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer (and early fall, it seems) has been horrible for both my dogs in terms of bowel issues. Soro has rarely ever had diarrhea in his 10+ years with me! But this summer, he's had 5? 7? bouts of diarrhea. I have no idea why. Negative fecals and all.

Anyways, I'm not here to talk about that. But here's something interesting... Twice this year Soro has pooped inside (unheard of!). And both times, he went AWAY from the door and on tile/linoleum. Both rooms (two different buildings) where he's had accidents have been all-carpet except for the kitchen areas. I have never in his life punished him for going inside. Most dogs go by the front door where they are usually let out. And most dogs prefer going on carpet because it's absorbent. It seems so... thoughtful?... to me that he is going on the ONLY non-absorbent area and the area is far removed from the door.

I am not one to anthropomorphize dog behavior. But I am of course very grateful that the diarrhea was not on the carpet. I jokingly say that he is trying to make it easy for me to clean up :D It's probably something else, like the tile area is not a space he usually occupies (slippery) and he is choosing to mess outside of his comfortable and frequently used spaces (carpet). Or something. Anyways, interesting for me!

Also he greeted me by picking up a toy, sitting down, lowering his head and wagging his tail. He's never greeted me like that before! He looked 'guilty' (read: appeasing). But my partner cleaned up his mess hours before I got home and I've never punished him for accidents. So I have no idea how he 'knows' something is different and why he'd act that way!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
When Snowball has had accidents inside (rarely), he too has gone away from the door - more specifically, away from the door that leads to his normal pooping area. In our condo, if he was going to have an accident, it would be on the bathroom floor, the furthest room from the door. Of course, half the time he pooped on the bathmat instead of the tile, but it seemed like the good intentions were there.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Max would pee in front of the back door if we were late. Ginger once chose to pee in front of the toilet. Guessing those are signs of a desperate and well house trained dog.

Once I called the dogs in. Bucky came in pooping as he ran. Now we check before we call.

Old dogs are so cool. I do think they can keep much longer sequences of events in mind because they aren't being distracted by the bright shiny object all the time. He knows nobody is happy if there's a mess to clean up. I do think my dogs cannot tell the difference between my upset when I spill and when they spill.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
We know dogs don't like to soil their homes, when given a chance. Not sure why they select where they have accidents, except due to smell. So, maybe the tile has a simpler smell than the carpet?

Mikee doesn't have the experience, so he doesn't distinguish .. yet. And, I was spoiled by Shep, who would even vomit inside ... until he was about 15yo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts