Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not dog beds, people beds. We have a 10 month old BC/Boxer/Greyhound/Other stuff mix. She's in full teenager mode and does get into stuff, which is to be expected and she's not left alone unsupervised.

She has this strange obsession with two of the four human beds in the house. I've been trying and trying to train my husband and young son to keep the doors to bedrooms closed when they are not in them, but they forget. If the dog gets a chance, she goes in either my 9 year old son's room or my 23 year old stepson's room and tears up the sheets and mattress pad, right in the middle of the bed. It's like she's trying to get at something. Neither of them wets their bed ;). The older boy doesn't live here any more and only sleeps in that bed when he's staying here overnight for some reason, maybe once a month. My husband and the ACD mix occasionally sleep in it when my husband can't sleep and doesn't want to bother me. The dog never tears up the master bed where I sleep every night and never tears up my 21 year old son's bed (he is at college and only sleeps there when he's home on vacation).

The dog sleeps with my 9 year old son at night and she never tears up the bed when he's in it and she's in it. Tearing that up is like tearing up her own bed.

Why is she so obsessed with this? And why only some beds? I'm sick of replacing sheets ;). Keeping the doors closed is the obvious answer, I need to keep after the other people who live here. If I catch her in one of those rooms because someone left the door open, I tell her "no" and shoo her out.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have a "diggingest dog" too. She will dig up my bed and I also have had to replace 2 sets of sheets.

I have watched her do this and am confident that she does it for the sheer joy of it, like digging in a yard. And it's really hard for me to make her stop because she is so focused and joyful when she does it. She will also flip all of the pillows around and strip the bed of comforters. It's just a fun thing to do!

It sounds like your dog is doing it in less travelled rooms where she is less likely to get caught.

For my dog, it's really that simple.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, she is a digger. We've got holes in the yard to show for it and she's even dug in a large, potted, plant. She also "digs" in her water bowl. I guess a bed is the next best thing to a garden inside the house! I was wondering if there wasn't some weird smell in there that she was after, but maybe it is as simple as you say...it's fun. I'll have to start charging those who leave bedroom doors open when I have to buy new sheets ;).

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've been trying and trying to train my husband and young son to keep the doors to bedrooms closed when they are not in them, but they forget.
Have you tried some positive reinforcements? Maybe introduce a clicker?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried some positive reinforcements? Maybe introduce a clicker?
:laugh: That might work! A beer or a Heath Bar for the husband and a cookie or a .99 cent Ipad game for the boy. Click...beer. Click...cookie. They'd probably learn their new trick in no time ;).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My dog has started doing this in the last few months. He will remove 5 layers of comforters, quilts, blankets and sheets from a king-sized bed, even when I'm sleeping in it. He's pretty quick about it, too. I should figure out how to get him to do this when I want to change the sheets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts