Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a little off dog topic.

I've found that I have to be much more observant walking the dog then when I'm out jogging. What are some of the funny, wacky, scary or just unexpected things you've see my on walks?

• Where are all these chicken bones coming from?
  • Last night somebody getting tattoo on their front porch
  • First responder training day in the park (walked in on protesters assaulting a police car. Then looked over to see mock car accidents)

·
Registered
22 Posts
A few weeks ago I heard a 'Whoosh!' and then saw what must have been 10k birds fly about 50m over my head. Stared in disbelief as they passed over. Funnily enough my dogs took one look and carried on. Usually if a single duck flies over they go bonkers!

Not exactly weird but I love seeing the sunrise during the winter walks that I otherwise wouldn't have got to see.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Sorry if this is a little off dog topic.

I've found that I have to be much more observant walking the dog then when I'm out jogging. What are some of the funny, wacky, scary or just unexpected things you've see my on walks?

*Where are all these chicken bones coming from?
LOL - I often wonder the same thing....

For years and years now, our walking routes always have banana peels flung all over the place...usually around the same areas. Always makes me wonder how anyone can eat that many bananas without getting completely sick of them.

Then there's the menagerie of roadkill.

I think the weirdest (and most amusing) thing I've seen is a flock(?) of turkeys that Bella and I accidentally spooked. Watching them trying to fly through the trees was soooooo funny!
"gobble gobble gaggle gaggle aaaak!!!" and the crash and smash of the tree branches they were flying into instead of through....LOL Bella and I just stood there watching them and thinking WTH??

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
I occasionally see this guy riding his motorcycle with a helmet designed to look like Kermit the Frog's head, lol.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Well not unexplained but the weirdest thing Summer and I ever saw (many years ago) was two elephants crossing the road while we were walking. The look on Summer's face was priceless. Her tail went down and she just stared and stared.

I've come across tightrope walkers a few times. And a couple of people fencing.

I kind of miss being in college and walking on campus. :p

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
Well not unexplained but the weirdest thing Summer and I ever saw (many years ago) was two elephants crossing the road while we were walking. The look on Summer's face was priceless. Her tail went down and she just stared and stared.

I've come across tightrope walkers a few times. And a couple of people fencing.

I kind of miss being in college and walking on campus. :p
That's too funny! It also reminded me, we have a really large park near my place, and it contains the city zoo. I was walking Kuma in the park one winter, and I came across a zoo keeper taking one of their camels for a walk through the park, with another zoo keeper following along behind with a shovel, just in case I guess, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A duck turf war. The pekins were all grouped together and the rouens were grouped together. Both were quaking up a storm at each other and then parted ways, still in the same groups. The pekins went into the stream right there and the rouens walked away.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I don't see a lot of weird stuff on my walks, because we're in an almost rural area. I saw a bobcat once from close range, and my husband has seen coyotes a few times. A bunch of beavers crossing the trail was fairly weird. And a crayfish hanging out on the trail (it had just rained, but he wasn't that close to the water, so maybe he was lost). Yeah, my stories are pretty boring. lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
At the end of a road around here, there will every week be new, broken CD's lying around, and the old ones removed. There aren't any stores or even that many people here, so that is definitely one of those weird things. Been happening for more than 5 years.
There is a park right next to a zoo also, and sometimes the zookeepers will take the lemurs out for a walk... to jump around in the trees and what not. They also have a pack of something that looks like big guineafowls running around between the zoo and park.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
A duck turf war. The pekins were all grouped together and the rouens were grouped together. Both were quaking up a storm at each other and then parted ways, still in the same groups. The pekins went into the stream right there and the rouens walked away.
ROFL It's like the Sharks vs the Jets.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Tula and I take a little road to get down to the prairie path for our walks. The road is about a 1/2 mile long and there are only 2 houses and an elementary school on it. People dump things regularly on this road because one of the houses is owned by a waste/garbage hauler.

I have seen: numerous pieces of furniture, old TVs, tires, scrap metal and my favorite was the person who took the time/effort/energy to dump the contents of their whole bathroom remodel. It must have taken more than one trip or vehicle.

Another thing we regularly come across is Gatorade bottles filled with urine that are tossed into the ditch. This is so gross because Tula LOVES plastic bottles, bleh.

Also, the prairie path takes us past a bar & grill with an outside patio. One Saturday night hubby and I were walking Tula and someone clearly had too much to drink and was stripping down on the patio while standing on a picnic table.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I wonder about the Great Chicken Massacre of Arlington, myself. Who the hell eats that many wings? And then throws the bones down next to the sidewalk, no less.

I'm not sure what qualifies as weird, really. I live in a major city with a bunch of colleges, so you'd have to walk by with a third head (or a camel, lol) for me to notice anymore.

Cool things I have seen recently:

Crows stealing shiny bits of metal from a construction site and hiding them on top of a street lamp.
A Raven flew down to sit on a branch right next to me while Kabota was sniffing something. It considered me for a little while and then flew off. Ravens are HUGE.
A whole family of turtles! There was one big turtle and 4 little turtles sunning on a log in a pond. When the big turtle noticed Kabota, it slid into the water and the 4 little turtles immediately followed, although they kinda plopped into the water.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
We have red tail hawks living at our park, they sometimes leave pieces of their meal laying below the trees they eat in.... They do help control the wild rabbits and rats.

There is a man in my neighborhood who hauls home a truck load (as in a flatbed truck) of pallets, unloads them in his garage and then hauls a few at a time away in his pick up all week. I have no idea what he is doing with them. He is almost always sitting in front of his house during the day talking on the phone or smoking.

There is also a man who refinishes wood (and sometimes metal) furniture. It isn't really weird, just sort of interesting. He has done some really nice pieces. He has garage sales once a month (I am pretty sure he isn't allowed to do that, we are only supposed to have 2 a year) to sell it. I kind of wish I had picked up the iron patio set he just did.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Someone who lives near me routinely takes their goats for leashed walks. And I don't exactly live "in the country". I don't live in the city either, but sort of right in between the two.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about the birds. We've seen all sorts including turkeys, herons, swans, etc. The coolest were when a red tail sat on a branch near us and then dove for a squirrel across the path in the woods (the squirrel got away). The other was when a small hawk (I think sharp-shinned hawk maybe?) kept coasting along the trail in front of us. He would fly right above ground level for like 50-100ft, then get into a tree. Then we would catch up to his tree and he'd swoop down again and fly right along ground level. Over and over.

I think the best was when we were walking along and noticed a HUGE owl in a tree by the side of the trail. It was broad daylight, so that was pretty cool. Then this girl and her dad approach from the opposite direction on bikes and startled it, so it swooped across the trail right over top of their heads. It scared the pants off of them.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
My friend had this super awesome ragdoll cat, but he was never home anymore and this is a super social cat who was not ok with being home alone all the time. So my friend was going to give the cat to his sister, but once the cat reached his parents' house he never made it to the sister's house, because mom couldn't let him go. Now she walks the cat in downtown Minneapolis on a leash all the time. LOL She sends us pictures and it's hilarious. I can't imagine most cats enjoying a leash walk, but I can totally see this one loving it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts