Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the time, when I put the food in the dish, and Snyder goes through his battery of tricks before I let him eat the food, he'll attack the bowl as soon as I say, "Go get it!" Gobble it all down.

Every once in a while, he'll walk over sniff the food, take a drink then walk away.

I had been picking up the dish after 15 minutes and putting it back in the container. But last week I picked up his dish and he wagged his tail and ran in his crate.

I figured, what the heck? I put the food in his crate and he ravenously tore through it.

So this morning, when he didn't attack his food, I picked up the bowl immediately, his tail started wagging wildly and he ran to his crate and looked expectantly at me. I put it in there and he gobbled it down.

My questions:
1. Why?
2. Is there any harm in feeding him in his crate when this happens?
3. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Is he very comfortable with his crate (enjoys being in there, etc)? If so, maybe he just likes the idea of eating in a "safe" zone. I know plenty of people that feed their dogs in their crates without any problem so if you wish to continue, I doubt you would have any issues.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is he very comfortable with his crate (enjoys being in there, etc)? If so, maybe he just likes the idea of eating in a "safe" zone. I know plenty of people that feed their dogs in their crates without any problem so if you wish to continue, I doubt you would have any issues.
He doesn't often spend his free time in his crate, but he happily trots there when I go to work. I often give him treats or special things in his crate to make it a special place.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
There's no harm in feeding the dog in his crate. Dogs are weird. If they want to eat there, I'm not going to argue with them. My dog loves his crate. He would actually prefer to be crated all day inside instead of being outside in the yard. Not entirely sure why this is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine act this way with "certain" treats only. They will automatically go to their crate when they are getting the treat. I use a treat at bedtime and when I have to leave - Works great.

I see no big deal in it, but I have heard people say not to do that because their behavior may change and it may be a suttle way of dominating this area or the food.... therefore they may become terrortorial if eating out of the crate (growling, snapping) Maybe just test him every now and then : )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts