Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I took my two dogs, Jimmy and Jodie, out for a walk to town and to the beach, whilst going through town, I saw the cutest pug outside a shop tied up, I approached it slowly and it showed that it was friendly...
So me and my dogs said a quick hello and it began to get friendly, doing play bows, jumping up on my lap etc.

We were there for about 5 minutes saying hello to this cute pug, and I was waiting to ask a few questions to the owner of the dog because the pug had a slightly different face and was keen to ask if it was a purebreed.

The owner finally came out of the shop, and in a raised town said "What are you doing?" I responded saying, I'm just saying hello to your dog, and she said "My dog's tied up and vulnerable!" I said to her we were only saying hello to your dog, and she quickly untied the leash and started walking off, of course, staring at me, my partner and my dogs as well as swearing and muttering below her breathe.

I was really suprised at the response I got from this woman... Many people who own pugs (I have found), are delighted when someone takes an interest to there dogs, as is anyone, but this woman was having none of it!

I don't get it!

Has anyone else had any weird experiences with any dog owners?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
She probably got a little sppoked taht you were paying so much attention to her dog and realized just how vulnerable the dog was to being stolen or injured. Frankly I HATE seeing dogs (of any breed) tied up outside like that for that very reason.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yesterday actually. Took the dogs to the lake, and at the boat dock,.this guy walks way around bringing his huge lab mix to "say hello" to my dogs. He was growling, barking, all but dragging his owner. He gets mad at me because I wouldn't let the dogs meet face to face lol.

I have worked very hard with Libby on her dog aggression issues, and Greta, while friendly, does not take kindly to growling dogs. Malinois are so reactive, just isn't a good thing, and I don't allow them to greet any dog face to face.

I wouldn't dare leave a dog tied and vulnerable to passing strangers and dogs, so what did she expect?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She probably got a little sppoked taht you were paying so much attention to her dog and realized just how vulnerable the dog was to being stolen or injured. Frankly I HATE seeing dogs (of any breed) tied up outside like that for that very reason.

Yesterday actually. Took the dogs to the lake, and at the boat dock,.this guy walks way around bringing his huge lab mix to "say hello" to my dogs. He was growling, barking, all but dragging his owner. He gets mad at me because I wouldn't let the dogs meet face to face lol.

I have worked very hard with Libby on her dog aggression issues, and Greta, while friendly, does not take kindly to growling dogs. Malinois are so reactive, just isn't a good thing, and I don't allow them to greet any dog face to face.

I wouldn't dare leave a dog tied and vulnerable to passing strangers and dogs, so what did she expect?
I personally couldn't leave my dog outside a shop or anywhere unattended, just because anything could happen, I could understand if she was a bit shocked, but to turn around and start swearing at me and my partner as well as giving us the death glare even after explaining, is a bit stupid...

With my dogs, I will always let them go up to dogs, my french bulldog often gets told off and I never care too much because he does take it too far sometimes and it's good for him to know his ground, I would totally understand if a person wanted me to put my dogs back on the lead and take them away before letting them off again if they're dogs were getting aggressive and they didn't like it.

I had a situation before as well walking my sisters english bull terrier, and a man with a golden retriever passed us and Dotti (The english bull terrier) ran up to play, the man then turned around and started saying how we should be more careful and have her on a lead with a muzzle, and went on to say "its obvious why you read so much about dogs like that in the news", even though, I personally have never heard of any english bull terrier attacking a dog or human that has been put in the news. He then began swearing again...
I just can't understand how people like that can have dogs because they obviously are so ignorant and naive to understand what it takes to own a dog, a dog needs socialization and it's a good thing if your dog is playing with others, regardless of the size or breed as well as strangers greeting your dog and allowing it to socialize with humans too...
Or it may just be that I look too deeply into what it takes to own a dog...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Back when I was 14 years old I had my first Rough Collie. She had been obedience trained very very well. I used to go up to the corner store and she would just sit outside in a "Stay" position until I picked up a gallon of milk for my Mother. Today ... when I think back at that ... it was not a very smart thing to do. :(

Maybe that woman will have learned a lesson from her experience .... may it be an eye opener.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I would be cautious letting yours approach strange dogs. Health reasons are one concern. Another, is reading body language. One of my females bows down, wags her tail, looks completely friendly, so good in fact she fools other dogs, then attacks. So I would never let mine approach another, unless completely ok with the owner, and then with caution until you see how they react.

Then some people just don't want others playing with their dogs, or other dogs approaching them. I often have mine out training in public places. I don't want a person bringing their dog up to play with mine. It's just rude not to ask permission first.

Also, for your own dogs safety. A small dog can easily be killed by a large dog it approaches. Letting unfamiliar dogs meet and expecting your dog to just learn manners can be dangerous. I agree the woman should not have cursed you, and she never should have left her dog unattended.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I always think it's strange when I run into someone with the same breed of dog I have and they don't want to talk about it, but then I'm one of those weird people that'll start talking to someone in a checkout line too. The oddest thing I've had happen was at petsmart. I was with Frosty who is pretty friendly, and a little girl came up and appropriately asked if she could pet him. I said yes, put him in a sit, and she was petting him , when her dad came around from another aisle and practically screamed "get away from that dog!" and grabbed her arm and dragged her away.

I do think it's strange to tie your dog outside a shop and then get huffy about people petting it. It's pretty risky to tie your dog out like that in the first place.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
We Lab owners don't know better :) We think that a Malinois is just a funny looking GSD that looks like it would play (somewhat similar in body language to a basenji (they may also playbow then nip the dog's nose... but I think it is in play).

As the pest and offender, we were walking in a fenced park last evening when the temperature had finally cooled to 101 degrees :). A family was playing catch and their adolescent Rottie was running all over the empty playground. My dog spotted the Rottie and chased him, then froze giving all kinds of calming signals... I think they would've played but the owner called his Rottie back... I would have asked about playing... except it was 101 degrees... In his younger days, my Lab-mix played with a variety of larger Rotts and Pits, as well as other Labs and Goldens, mainly because they had the same energy and general 'roughness'.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I had a situation before as well walking my sisters english bull terrier, and a man with a golden retriever passed us and Dotti (The english bull terrier) ran up to play, the man then turned around and started saying how we should be more careful and have her on a lead with a muzzle, and went on to say "its obvious why you read so much about dogs like that in the news", even though, I personally have never heard of any english bull terrier attacking a dog or human that has been put in the news. He then began swearing again...
Pretty sure the other owner assumed the english bull terrier was a 'pit bull' and that would be what he was referring to about "reading about in the news." While I don't agree with his sentiments about pit bulls I do agree that you where in the wrong for letting your sister's dog run up to a strange dog. Even if you know your sister's dog is very friendly that stranger doesn't and you have no idea if their dog is friendly.

Also if your dog has a habit of being obnoxious and rude when greeting other dogs you shouldn't let them go run up and greet strange dogs. That's an accident waiting to happen because not all dogs are friendly and not all dogs give properly proportioned corrections. Some will correct your rude dog very harshly and result in your dog being injured. I caution you to be more careful for your own dogs sake.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I personally couldn't leave my dog outside a shop or anywhere unattended, just because anything could happen, I could understand if she was a bit shocked, but to turn around and start swearing at me and my partner as well as giving us the death glare even after explaining, is a bit stupid...

With my dogs, I will always let them go up to dogs, my french bulldog often gets told off and I never care too much because he does take it too far sometimes and it's good for him to know his ground, I would totally understand if a person wanted me to put my dogs back on the lead and take them away before letting them off again if they're dogs were getting aggressive and they didn't like it.

I just can't understand how people like that can have dogs because they obviously are so ignorant and naive to understand what it takes to own a dog, a dog needs socialization and it's a good thing if your dog is playing with others, regardless of the size or breed as well as strangers greeting your dog and allowing it to socialize with humans too...
Or it may just be that I look too deeply into what it takes to own a dog...
I'm sorry but inhsvrnto say that if I met you on a hike or even on the street or thr beach, & you were just letting your dog's be all up in my dogs grills & didn't do anything about it just because the dogs all 'seem to like each other'. I let mine have off leash time too but when I see off leash dogs, weather they have an owner or not, I always put mine on a lead if for nothing else, for their safety, I can better protect them that way.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Please consider that if you let your dog run up to leashed dogs, you are risking the LEASHED dog's life. For instance, if I am working a dog aggressive dog and I have him well-managed and leashed and then your dog runs up to him and gets attacked, it's going to be MY dog facing euthanasia because you wanted your pet to have doggie friends.

A dog can lead a rich and full life without a single dog friend. Not all dogs can even tolerate other dogs. These dogs deserve their lives too.

If you want your dog to have dog friends (and all of my dogs play with other dogs too) have the courtesy to ask premission first or even better, set up playdates with known dogs.

Allowing your dog to encroach on restrained, unknown dogs will get your dog or someone else's hurt.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I don't let my dogs greet unattended dogs just out of caution for my dogs safety. Usually things will be fine but a dog left outside without its owner is usually already a bit stressed and I see no reason to tempt fate (plus I want to respect the owners wishes/training). Its absolutely her responsibility not to leave her dog unattended if shes worried about how he will interact or what other people will do but on my end there are just too many variables to risk it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally, I think I just let my dogs do what they want and just be dogs, if they want to go up and greet a dog, they can, if that dog is not comfortable with other dogs, it should be kept on a lead, and if need be, muzzled. If my dog walks up to another, and begins growling and the owner is there, they will often apologise and I'll say it's fine and just command my dog to walk on and leave it, which they do, if the owner isn't there, I will forcefully move my dog.
If people do not want their dog having interaction with people unattended, then they shouldn't leave their dog outside a shop, and if their dog is aggressive, then definitely not without a muzzle.

I would never allow my dog to not greet a dog, how ever big or small, as I don't think it's right to stop a dog from socialization, even if it is an aggressive encounter, as I want my dogs to understand what crossing the line can be, and I will always stop them before they do cross the line.
If anything did happen and my dogs ever did get attacked, I would never, ever blame anyone whether it's a dog or an owner, even myself, as at the end of the day, they're animals and every dog is unpredictable.

I also would never take my dog off the lead if I knew it wouldn't come at my call, it's not that I don't care about mine or other owners dogs wellbeing, I just believe that a dog is a dog, and it has to experience all different types of behaviours.
I know many people won't agree with what I've just said, but thats my outlook, and I've never faced any dog of mine being caught in a fight or injured by this method of bringing up my dogs. I just like my dogs to lead an unrestricted life, and all of my dogs seem to appreciate this and understand when I say enough is enough

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I don't think I can write a response to how immature and irresponsible your answer is Saures without risking a ban so I'll leave it with this. If I recall correctly you are just a teenager so I sincerely hope you manage to grow up soon and take in to consideration other peoples dogs and what's best for them and not what you'd selfishly like for your own dogs.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Personally, I think I just let my dogs do what they want and just be dogs, if they want to go up and greet a dog, they can, if that dog is not comfortable with other dogs, it should be kept on a lead, and if need be, muzzled. If my dog walks up to another, and begins growling and the owner is there, they will often apologise and I'll say it's fine and just command my dog to walk on and leave it, which they do, if the owner isn't there, I will forcefully move my dog.
If people do not want their dog having interaction with people unattended, then they shouldn't leave their dog outside a shop, and if their dog is aggressive, then definitely not without a muzzle.

I would never allow my dog to not greet a dog, how ever big or small, as I don't think it's right to stop a dog from socialization, even if it is an aggressive encounter, as I want my dogs to understand what crossing the line can be, and I will always stop them before they do cross the line.
If anything did happen and my dogs ever did get attacked, I would never, ever blame anyone whether it's a dog or an owner, even myself, as at the end of the day, they're animals and every dog is unpredictable.

I also would never take my dog off the lead if I knew it wouldn't come at my call, it's not that I don't care about mine or other owners dogs wellbeing, I just believe that a dog is a dog, and it has to experience all different types of behaviours.
I know many people won't agree with what I've just said, but thats my outlook, and I've never faced any dog of mine being caught in a fight or injured by this method of bringing up my dogs. I just like my dogs to lead an unrestricted life, and all of my dogs seem to appreciate this and understand when I say enough is enough
Why should my dog be made uncomfortable because you want to be rude and not obey the leash laws? Good rule of thumb in society, your rights end where the rights of another person begins. Keep your dog leashed (when not in an off leash allowed area) and ask permission to approach other dogs with it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I would NEVER approach someones dog who is tied up outside a shop alone or on any situation that the owner is not present. No matter how friendly it may seem or how much I want to go and give it a pat. I think it is rude and irresponsible and dangerous. Out of common courtesy I always ask if I can approach someones dog, if the owners not around then tough luck. I would like it people asked me if they could pet my dog so I do likewise.
I would rather not risk it otherwise.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

You are going to get your dog killed, to put it bluntly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I don't think I can write a response to how immature and irresponsible your answer is Saures without risking a ban so I'll leave it with this. If I recall correctly you are just a teenager so I sincerely hope you manage to grow up soon and take in to consideration other peoples dogs and what's best for them and not what you'd selfishly like for your own dogs.
I don't think the way I raise my dogs is selfish towards anyone else's dogs at all... I do respect other peoples wishes, if a dog is aggressive towards my dogs, or doesn't want to be associated with me or my dogs, I will lead my dogs away, my dogs are all responsive to my commands and would never continue to pester a dog unless I let it, I don't think my way of raising my dogs is inconsiderate, selfish or irresponsible, I have dominance over my dogs, and by this, I can control what they do and do not do, I just like to allow them to experience as many breeds and personalities as they choose, my dogs also know themselves when to leave a dog alone from experience of me telling them no and associating that with a dogs reaction.

I study animal care at college and know a lot about dogs behaviour and how to raise a dog, yes, I may be a teenager, but that doesn't mean I raise my dogs in an irresponsible way, I would never risk my dogs life or health, and I never have and I certainly do appreciate other people's wishes and dogs.
It's just fair to say that people consider and raise their dogs differently, just like children, my way is different to many of yours, but it suits me, my dogs and people around me as well. I appreciate what you're saying, but I know my dogs are not at risk.

I'd also like to add that, before introducing my dogs to a tied up dog, I introduce myself to the dog to see if it feels comfortable, if the dog shows any sign of aggression or stress, I do move on. My dogs are also only taken off the leash when we're in a suitable area, I would never allow my dog to be walked off a leash along a road, or within a town.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I know many people won't agree with what I've just said, but thats my outlook, and I've never faced any dog of mine being caught in a fight or injured by this method of bringing up my dogs.
Well, you're young. Give it time.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
No matter how much control over the situation you think you have, accidents happen. Id rather do everything I can to prevent it, you just seem to be inviting them to your front door step.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts