Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good family dog. Had a female weimaraner for 12 years. We got her before kids and she was definitely my "velcro" dog (I was a stay-at-home mom, she was my buddy). Loved that dog. People always commented on how good she was ("But, I thought these dogs were hyper"-- we did lots of obedience training -- it payed off). After she passed, we got a 3 y.o. rescue weim and it didn't work out (super dog-aggressive, bit/snapped at people). Kinda scared me off the rescue route and maybe even the breed a little. Would like to go the puppy route again. Still considering a weim, but I have my eye on another breed, although I have no experience with them: the English Pointer (bench/show type vs. field).

We do not hunt, but I'd love a walking/running pal. We live in a rural subdivision (subdiv. surrounded by woods/fields). We have a invisible fence (cannot have standard fences). Kids are ages 8, 10 & 12. I now work at 8am - 4pm, M-F with summers off.

Things I liked about my weim:
Tons of personality
Smart (which can be good and bad, you just have to laugh sometimes)
Low maintenance coat/minimal vacuuming, too :)
Generally well behaved /obedient
Beautiful (admittedly not the most important trait, but she was stunning)

Things I didn't like about my weim:
Not particularly friendly toward other dogs (but not aggressive)
Tolerant of my kids, but not particularly interested in playing with them (only me or husband)
Anxious when away from home

Anyone care to compare/contrast Weims & Bench Type English Pointers. Or suggest other breeds?

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well when field trialing we used to say an English Pointer had more bird working ability in a toe nail than popular German Breeds GSPs/Weimies etc and the German breeds had more brains in toe nail than the average English Pointer. If you had a great Weimie why would you change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well when field trialing we used to say an English Pointer had more bird working ability in a toe nail than popular German Breeds GSPs/Weimies etc and the German breeds had more brains in toe nail than the average English Pointer. If you had a great Weimie why would you change.
My Sadie was a great dog, but I think our 4 month stint with the rescue weim scared me. The girl we rescued was like a lot of other weims I'd heard about over the years and I guess I'm wondering if my Sadie was more an exception than the rule.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
My Sadie was a great dog, but I think our 4 month stint with the rescue weim scared me. The girl we rescued was like a lot of other weims I'd heard about over the years and I guess I'm wondering if my Sadie was more an exception than the rule.
My experience was long time ago and then with dogs that were competition and some that weren't. The breeding was a tad different then and the Weimie was starting to get popular on the bench and sometimes as it happened to the Irish Setter, field work/brains breeding sometimes goes downhill. In spite of that I just have a preference for German breeds.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Well you have to understand, that was a rescue dog, probably did not have great genetics going into the dog. My weimies are not dog aggressive, if they were I would not have as many dogs as I do. Human aggression should never be tolerated in any breed, weims are people oriented so something was wrong with this dog.

I am sorry you had a bad experience, but put yourself in this dogs situation, he was probably tossed around, and was probably never properly socialized or trained, not to mention the great possibility of poor genetics again. I am surprised the rescue even adopted him out, that is just a liability right there.

I don't know anything about Pointers, as I have never had one. But I do know I will always have a weimaraner, as they bring me great joy.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Weimies will always have a special place in heart and many good memories, my 1st weimie the dog I put CD on never pointed a bird till she was 3 yrs old and never bumped one after that age.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Human aggression should never be tolerated in any breed
I disagree, but that's because I own a breed of dog that was meant to apprehend criminals as one of its jobs ;-)

I would agree that unwarranted aggression should never be tolerated.

I'd personally get a Weim. I love the German breeds.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I disagree, but that's because I own a breed of dog that was meant to apprehend criminals as one of its jobs ;-)

I would agree that unwarranted aggression should never be tolerated.

I'd personally get a Weim. I love the German breeds.
That is what I meant, I guess I should have been more specific.

My youngest weim pointed a bird at around 4 months, just before I got her, not sure if she did any pointing earlier. Some of my others pointed birds at a young age to.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Human aggression should never be tolerated in any breed
I like the term controlled human agression and this with any dog that has teeth. I have been fortunate enough to own 2 weimies that would/could kick butt if needed. German breeds rule.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
That is what I meant, I guess I should have been more specific.
For the record, I wasn't trying to be snotty :) Just trying to add a little more clarity in terms of what is breed appropriate and what isn't.

I still wanna show a Weim. Love their outlines and personality. Flashy without a ton of hair :D

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
For the record, I wasn't trying to be snotty :) Just trying to add a little more clarity in terms of what is breed appropriate and what isn't.

I still wanna show a Weim. Love their outlines and personality. Flashy without a ton of hair :D
Find me in Raliegh, if both my girls win their classes, I will need help. You of course would get the puppy. And I didn't think you were being snotty, just wanted to clarify myself.

I guess I could say my weims are wary of people they don't know, and will bark at them, but they would not outright attack them for no reason in a million years. Although I do pity the person who dares enter my house at night, with three loose weimaraners (one sleeps in a crate), and a house full of barking bulldogs. The workers, renovating my house, will just have to get use to loud barking I suppose.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I guess I could say my weims are wary of people they don't know, and will bark at them, but they would not outright attack them for no reason in a million years
There is not a single German breed I've met where the majority of individuals weren't a bit aloof (even the sporters)! Well, maybe the Rotts (most of them seem to love everybody xD)!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well you have to understand, that was a rescue dog, probably did not have great genetics going into the dog. My weimies are not dog aggressive, if they were I would not have as many dogs as I do. Human aggression should never be tolerated in any breed, weims are people oriented so something was wrong with this dog.

I am sorry you had a bad experience, but put yourself in this dogs situation, he was probably tossed around, and was probably never properly socialized or trained, not to mention the great possibility of poor genetics again. I am surprised the rescue even adopted him out, that is just a liability right there.

I don't know anything about Pointers, as I have never had one. But I do know I will always have a weimaraner, as they bring me great joy.

@Chaos: Yeah I know that with a rescue dog you never know what you are going to get in regards to socialization/training (which I know are both key to having a great dog). I didn't really think about bad genetics, but that surely could have added to the mix. I don't blame that dog...I feel bad for her. Wished I could have "fixed" her. Worked with her and a trainer for 5 months. I just couldn't take the chance of her biting my kids (or anyone else) again. That is why I won't go the rescue route again.

My experience was long time ago and then with dogs that were competition and some that weren't. The breeding was a tad different then and the Weimie was starting to get popular on the bench and sometimes as it happened to the Irish Setter, field work/brains breeding sometimes goes downhill. In spite of that I just have a preference for German breeds.
Just for clarification: You are comparing the EP to the IS regarding fieldwork/brains going downhill, right?

Does anyone have any insight on kids and weims? Like I said, we got our weimy girl before we had kids -- she was about 1 year old when our son was born. She was never really very interested in them. I mean she would rather be indoors with me than go play with the kids -- she'd fetch ball for me all day, but only for the kids if I was right there encouraging her. I'm thinking, this time, if we brought a pup into the house and it grew up with kids, it should be more interested/attached to them, too. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Just for clarification: You are comparing the EP to the IS regarding fieldwork/brains going downhill, right?
No the English Pointer was and I'm sure still is very strong in field work. The Irish Setter is not involved much in field competition. I believe they now have something called a Red Setter but it's an offshoot.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
If raised with them, they should be fine. My older dogs have never been raised with little kids, so all their hoopla annoys them. I just don't allow any kids to run up to my dogs. My youngest weim however is just fine with kids, she loves everybody though.

But I know people who have raised kids with weims, I person I sold a couple puppies too, had two kids after getting them and they just let the kids crawl all over them, Remy allows the kids to ride him (he is a large dog, top of the standard) and Maya never left the babies room when they were babies. So it really is a toss up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My kids are good with dogs - they truly are- and Sadie was always well behaved with them -- just uninterested. And when we did have some more "energetic" kids come over that wanted to rough-house with her, she just looked bewildered. I always steered them away from her because she looked uncomfortable with that attention from them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
English Pointers make excellent family dogs. The Pointer is a very people-friendly dog breed, and when raised with children they are very tolerant. The Pointer will make a great jogging partner too. About the only difficulty that people have with English Pointers is that they are a high-energy breed and need plenty of daily exercise. Fortunately, if you have owned weimaraners, this shouldn't be a problem. I know a great breeder in the northwest with an upcoming litter if you're interested.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
English Pointers make excellent family dogs. The Pointer is a very people-friendly dog breed, and when raised with children they are very tolerant. The Pointer will make a great jogging partner too. About the only difficulty that people have with English Pointers is that they are a high-energy breed and need plenty of daily exercise. Fortunately, if you have owned weimaraners, this shouldn't be a problem. I know a great breeder in the northwest with an upcoming litter if you're interested.
I'm not gonna argue with above either, the term "great breeder" is the answer to any breed picked. I have never met an angry pointer. Of course it's not only the breed picked it's what you do when you get it that builds a good family member.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate your POVs and insights, everyone. My family is going to visit a English Pointer breeder this weekend and I've got the name of some Weim breeders to check out (the one we got our weim from isn't breeding weims now). Thank you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts