Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog broke a record of 82 lbs last night. I make him walk with a 15 lb weight every weekday. I was surpized he was able to do it. What is a safe weight I can use to get him conditioned to pull more? I do not want to wear out his joint prematurely.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I don't know much about weight pulling, but I'm a little uneasy with the idea of making a 1 year old dog pull that much weight on a regular basis (or at all, even).

Other members may have more informed opinions to give you, but I wouldn't start doing strenuous physical exercise with him until he's at least a year and a half. While my knowledge falls more along the lines of giant breeds, who sometimes aren't fully physically mature until almost 2, I think your dog is probably still growing and his joints are more fragile than they will be when he's fully physically mature.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I don't know much about weight pulling. But, I was talking to a couple of guys once when I was out walking Tula and we got to talking about carting with my dog and the one guys said he had a Rottweiler that did weight pulling and he had an old tire that he used and would put weights inside the tire while training. I don't remember exactly what weight he said the dog would train with daily but....Is there a pulling club you can join and they can give some direction?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
What type of equipment are you currently using? Are you using an actual weight pulling harness? How far is he pulling the weight?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts