Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy was 17 pounds when we adopted him from the Humane Society last month. He's now 24! Is this a normal wt gain for a puppy?

He eats 2 times a day about 2 1/2 cups of food (orijen dog food) and occationally gets a treat (some left over chicken or eggs from breakfast 2 times a week).

He's pretty active outside with the kids. Loves running around the yard and chasing after animals or the kids.

I'm concerned he gained too much. But not sure. What's normal wt gain for a puppy.

We were told he's a dalmatian, but he looks like he could have some german shorthair pointer in him too. He looks just like this dog:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/dogs/anonymous/bellaann_dalmatianpointer20.jpg_w450.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dailypuppy.com/dogs/bella-ann-the-dalmatian-x-pointer_2007-01-16&usg=__gSJtIrnDu_TM0X3TuMCm92EWTqc=&h=588&w=450&sz=50&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=qctSYfuMYc5g6M:&tbnh=135&tbnw=103&prev=/images?q=dalmatian+pointer+mix&hl=en&rlz=1R2TSHB_en&sa=N&um=1

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You didn't say how old Chevy is but, no matter...Orijen puppy food is measured in grams not cups so I don't know if 2 1/2 cups is right. The amount he should get at 17 pounds is between 5oz and 12.5oz. fed 2x a day depending on his age.

You also have to take into account his activity level. The recommended feeding schedules tend to be on the high side....the manufacturers must think dogs herd sheep all day long.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I think you're feeding a bit too much. On my Orijen bag it says a 10kg dog should eat 1 cup to 1 1/2 cup(very active dog) a day. 10 kg is more than 20 lbs so you're probably over feeding plus treats. Our 19 lb Cavalier (moderately active) gets about 1 cup a day plus the odd treat.

Also, feel your dog's ribs. Run your hands along his side and see if you can feel the ribs. if you can feel them easily and a very thin layer of fat under the skin, you're fine. If the ribs are hard to locate or you feel a lot of fat then you're probably feeding too much.

Try this. Chart to Determine Proper Weight

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback!
When I took him in last month, they said he was underwieght. I can still feel his ribs and backbone, very easily, even with this weight gain.

I'll try to decrease his food, but he acts hungry. Is there anything I can give him that's "empty calories"? He eats his food in just a matter of minutes, then he's sniffing around for more. And he sits outside when the kids eat (so he doesn't eat the food that falls on the ground), and when we bring him in, he'll sniff food out.

BTW, he's 5 months old.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Well if he was underweight(sorry I wasn't aware) then feeding him more makes sense. If you can still feel his ribs and backbone and he's still underweight, then it's fine to keep feeding the amount you're doing.

If he's starting to feel like he's a good weight, then you might want to decrease a little so that he seems to maintain weight but not gain too much.

You can try feeding him some treats of fruits and veggies, most dogs love them and it fills them up a bit. But honestly, some dogs will eat themselves to death and will always act hungry no matter how much you feed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he loves fruits and veggies (chopped apples, carrots, ect), so I'll try feeding him some fruits and veggies between meals.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I also know that when people are trying to get a dog to loose weight they feed plain unsalted canned green beans. They are full of fiber and will fill up his tummy and make him feel more full. Maybe feed him his regular meal and when he's eaten that all up let him "fill up" on the green beans?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts