Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Nah, Mike dislikes being picked up or standing on a scale. So no. And if a 73 lbs dog decides he does not want to, it is pretty difficult to convince him otherwise. ;)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Nah, Mike dislikes being picked up or standing on a scale. So no. And if a 73 lbs dog decides he does not want to, it is pretty difficult to convince him otherwise. ;)
I remember the time my husband decided to try picking up our 90 lb shepherd mix to weigh him. :laugh: It was sorta like a particularly furry scene from Alien, paws flying everywhere, squealing, my husband frantically trying to put him down without dropping him . . . good times.

I live within walking distance of my vet, so we walk down once a month, do a quick weigh in and leave.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
What's the purpose of weighing that often? Monitoring weight loss or something? I don't really care how much Sydney weighs so long as she's staying shape.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
With our Vet, they have the scale in the waiting room and you can go in and weigh your dogs whenever you want. I also have a scale at home that I can weigh them on up to ten pounds. Never have believed you could get a true weight by standing on your scale and then holding the dog. For some reason (maybe it is my scale) it is never very accurate.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I weigh her between visits when we go to the vet for her meds/preventatives. She's too big for a household scale.

With my cats I always weighed myself first, then held the cat and weighed again. Try keeping a cat on a scale....LOL

·
Registered
878 Posts
We use the WiFit - since Hamish's weight loss then re-gain earlier this year we've tried to monitor his weight weekly. It's been really helpful as we can look back and see the history.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
I'll usually ask Chester to step up on the scale at the pet store whenever I'm there. So maybe every 6 weeks or so. I pay attention to his body condition, but it is good training to listen to the commands to get on the scale and to sit still and its nice to keep an eye on any fluctuations in weight. I notice he gained weight when it started to get really hot outside and our walks were cut shorter and shorter, I couldn't see the 2 lbs weight gain on his frame though.

I think it is good to drop into the vet's sometimes (say, once every other month) and do just a weighing and get a treat and nothing more. Helps with positive associations.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Two reasons for weighing:

First, she's right on the line between two different doses of flea & tick meds. If she needs the higher weight dose, we'd want to know before applying the tube we have. so we can get the appropriate dosage. That's not such a big deal now as we just used the last tube and will need to take her to the vet for a new batch. Second, my husband is concerned about her weight and wants to monitor it.

Our vet is about a half hour away, not really near any place we'd go with Katie. It might be worth a drive, though. She's due for her first booster vaccine next month, so we'll be there soon.

My husband did the weigh with and without holding Katie (she was very cooperative), but isn't convinced the scale is accurate at higher weights. He wants me to do it, but I have weight issues and would prefer to stay off the scale.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
My vet's office as a scale in the lobby I'll stop by and use on occasion. They sometimes mention that one isn't very accurate, the first time I followed them in the back to use one in an exam room... got the same weight. So I figure the one in the lobby is close enough for what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Our local pet food supply store has a scale - we take the puppers in there for weighing.
We asked at one of the local pet stores, but they didn't have a scale. We could try some of the others.

I'll usually ask Chester to step up on the scale at the pet store whenever I'm there. So maybe every 6 weeks or so. I pay attention to his body condition, but it is good training to listen to the commands to get on the scale and to sit still and its nice to keep an eye on any fluctuations in weight. I notice he gained weight when it started to get really hot outside and our walks were cut shorter and shorter, I couldn't see the 2 lbs weight gain on his frame though.
I've read various descriptions of body conditions, but I'm still unsure where she falls.

I think it is good to drop into the vet's sometimes (say, once every other month) and do just a weighing and get a treat and nothing more. Helps with positive associations.
She's been to the vet about a dozen times in the past ten months, so we hadn't been taking extra trips. Most trips were fairly positive for her and she got lots of attention, which she loves. It probably would be a good idea to stop by the vets office more regularly if she's not going in otherwise.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
What's the purpose of weighing that often? Monitoring weight loss or something? I don't really care how much Sydney weighs so long as she's staying shape.
For Kabota, he has an old hip injury and I need to keep him lean. With his fur, it's not obvious what shape he's in, so it's easier to just weigh him regularly. Looking at your signature, it's probably easier to eyeball Sydney than Kabota.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Do you weigh your dog between vet visits? If so, how?
I do occasionally, just to keep tabs and to see what his normal/baseline is. I shaped Wally to get on his scale. So to weigh him, I just put the scale on the floor and he knows what to do. The hardest part is reading the scale since his hair just covers up the read out.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
For Kabota, he has an old hip injury and I need to keep him lean. With his fur, it's not obvious what shape he's in, so it's easier to just weigh him regularly. Looking at your signature, it's probably easier to eyeball Sydney than Kabota.

Haha yeah I can get a much better gauge on Jubel's body condition than my foster Duncan's because his coat is so thick. I had intended on taking him over to the vet's office and popping him on the scale and never did get around too it. He's noticeably lost weight since I first brought him home but I have no clue in pounds what he's shed. I should take him in soon just to get a weight, he appears to have stopped loosing weight but could still stand to loose a few more pounds. It would be good to know where I am now and see if he's making more progress and I just don't notice it before I cut back his food any more.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have small dogs, so it's easy to hold them and weigh them using the bathroom scale, subtracting my weight from the combined weight to get the dog's weight. My scale's digital, and it's pretty accurate, compared to the vet's scale. I weigh them about once a month.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I brirng Hitch to the vet at least once every four weeks, if not sooner, to get his nails trimmed. They usually weigh him, take his temp, and give him a quick look over whenever he goes in.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts