Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adopted an 18 month old Maltese Male. We have him crated. From the crate we take him straight out side to relieve himself and give him the command to go to the bathroom. He just sits there very disinterested. Last week it looked like we had a break through. He did go and we praised him and rewarded him but that lasted a day or two and now its back to him holding it in until he pees outside his crate when we open it to take him out because he can no longer hold it in. We have another dog that we have had 8 years and she learned very quickly. I tried to move his spot over a little because someone told me he may not want to go where my older dog goes but nothing. He poops with no problem it's just the peeing. 7 weeks have pasted and I am beside myself and have run out of patience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yesterday morning he did pee outside so I let him out and he had play time for most of the day. (I took him to relieve himself a few times and he did not go). I took him out 4 times so far today and he still has not gone( He has not gone since yesterday morning.) I will not let him out of his crate unless he goes because he most likely than goes all over my floor as soon as he gets excited. So he spends a lot of time in the crate unless he goes, even when it is an accident I let him out because I feel terrible he is in there. I have even tried bringing him to the spot and stepping away not looking to give him his privacy and that worked once or twice and than nothing.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Can you leave him in the yard alone and watch from the window? Or put up a small pen in the yard to put him in?

That might work, just give him privacy to do his thing then let him back in. He may have been corrected on leash or for peeing so he might not want to go near you, if that makes sense.

Lana

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The area I bring him is away from the house blocked by a pool. There is an area with Rocks, there is an area with Sand, and there is an area with grass. He can take his pick!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Another thing is walking him usually help, I'm not sure if you're just letting him into the yard or actually walking him around the block. Take him on a short 15 min walk whenever you take him out of the crate.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Ugh, I feel your pain. My dog was exactly like this when we first got her, although it didn't last that long. Is he on a leash when you're out there? It does sound like it might be a privacy thing -- you could try a long (like 30-foot) training leash if your yard isn't fenced. That was what worked for us eventually. You could also carry him outside so he doesn't have a chance to pee in between the crate and the great outdoors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sure a walk would work but I would like him to learn a specific area in the yard so he can eventually do this on his own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hahaha hamandeggs I have carried him out and he has peed in the air a few times (just from anxiety I think.) Original owner told me he was house broken and I am finding that hard to believe.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I would just start by getting him to walk and pee somewhere that's not in the house. Lots of treats, praise and put a key word to it like do your business or something.

Then as he's consistently peeing when you walk him, slowly reduce the walking time from 15 to 10 to 5 and eventually take him and walk him around in the yard. Always make sure he's consistently peeing, if you walk him for 10 min but he doesn't pee most of the time anymore, go back up to 12, 13 min and slowly decrease.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Ha! That will seem funny eventually, I'm sure.

I would try walking him, using your chosen command, and giving him a treat and throwing a praise party when he goes on your walk. It sounds like he's scared to do his business in the chosen place right now for whatever reason, so maybe your first order of business should be getting him to feel comfortable going outdoors at all. You can transition him to the specified location once he's more comfortable/less anxious and scared.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Michiyo-Fir. He does not have a problem peeing when we walk him so I will start from there and see where it goes. He is lucky he is such a cutie!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanted to update... We are walking Nino 4 to 5 times a day and he is relieving himself with no problem. He did fine with the walking from day one. Unfortunately we are trying to reintroduce the back yard corner to him again and he wants nothing to do with it. The positive thing with walking him is that there are less accidents in the house because he is now at least going outside but I honestly do not have the time to walk him 4 times a day. Any suggestions??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts