Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several issues... that I haven't encountered before. It's like they popped up over night.
1. My puppy eats poop. LOTS of poop. We have neighborhood cats and the poop is everywhere and he eats it. He then gets a severe upset stomach. How do I fix this??? It's only the cats poop he goes after. I've started giving him a probiotic thinking that might be it but it's like he enjoys the taste.
2. Biting ! This hasn't been an issue until the last few weeks because he hasn't been a biter. But it seems he just discovered his teeth. We do what our trainer said and hold his mouth and "no bite" and then put him down and ignore him but it doesn't seem to be working. At all.
3. STICKS. I live in an area hit my hurricane Irma - and our trees shed all of their limbs but a few. Belka is enjoying the sticks and eating them as well as the pecans from our only pecan tree. Will this create blockages? He had an X-ray last week due to a blockage but it passed (sock monkey tail).

Please help.... my hands and legs look like I've been through a cat fight....

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Ah, there's that puppy wonderfulness! Yeah, sounds about normal, haha.

1. I would start teaching him a "leave it" command. Use really awesome treats like hot dogs or something, you know, better than cat poop. Puppies eat really terrible things. So, is the poop out in your yard, or what? If you can, avoid the poopy areas. If its in your yard, I would get those motion-detecting water sprayers. Perfectly harmless, but really encourages animals to stay out of your yard. Just remember to turn them off when you go out!

2. Holding the mouth shut typically doesn't work because they just think you're playing. it can also cause some other not-great behaviors, so I wouldn't recommend it. Because Belka was taken from his litter earlier, you may have more of a problem with biting. When Belka bites, redirect to a toy and praise for using it. If he still insists on eating you, get up and leave. Step over a baby gate, close a door, whatever, just leave the pup for a minute or so. Belka will learn that biting = happy fun time ends. This will take MONTHS of consistency. Don't expect overnight results, and it may start up again when he starts teething again.

3. Sorry about Irma. Rake or pick up your yard, if you can, or even just a part of it that you can block off until you can complete clean-up. Again, the "leave it" will help. Use great treats. If he chomps up the sticks really well, it probably won't cause a blockage, but I don't know about pecans. Probably keep her away from them.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
I would recommend finding another trainer. Based on the advice given to you for very normal, simple puppy behaviors, this is not a trainer I would trust for advice in general.

1. Most dogs enjoy cat poop if given the chance. Finding a good trainer to help you with leave it may help. But keeping cats off property, if possible, is an easier solution. Or just not letting your dog out in those areas.
2. Biting should mean an immediate end in attention. Holding his mouth and saying "no bite" is reinforcing because you are touching him and giving him attention. Also, it riles up a lot of dogs. I would create a management space where he can't reach you (crate, tether, xpen, baby gate, etc.) and the moment he bites you exit the space and leave him alone for 10-15 minutes. Also, teaching and playing tug and incorporating it into training will give him an appropriate outlet so you can head off the biting entirely. Also, at this age I recommend carrying around a bite rag so you can provide an appropriate outlet in a pinch if he is getting wild.
3. Yes they can cause a blockage. My puppy almost had one from eating too many sticks. They are everywhere so developing a good play routine and teaching your dog to love playing with you and his toys is key. Also, finding a good trainer to teach you "drop" or "trade" or leave it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts