Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I've relayed in other posts, last week (Friday, 8/5) my wife and I adopted a puppy. On Saturday (8/6), I use my home scale to weigh myself first, then weighed myself while holding the pup. The difference was her weight, 34 lbs. This weekend, I repeated the weigh in, and... well, I had lost 2 lbs. (yay, all that extra walking and running after puppy!), but so had she, now coming in at 32 lbs.

I'm telling myself not to worry about this on several counts:
1) First, no longer tied to a tree, roaming my yard throughout the day, doing lots of fetch play, and going for walks with me, she's way more active than before.
2) I'm feeding her well, with better (actual puppy) food than she was getting, and at around 2 cups per day, which is in line with recommendations for her weight.
3) To my eye, she looks good, not emaciated or anything like that, and certainly shows a lot of energy.
4) I see no worms in her stool, and I see no signs of digestive issues.

But still... one wonders. Should I increase her daily food allotment? What do you think?

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I vote to increase the food by 1/4 cup and maybe a carrot, and watch the results. If she continues to lose weight after 3 days, increase by a total of 1/2 cup.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
I vote to increase the food by 1/4 cup and maybe a carrot, and watch the results. If she continues to lose weight after 3 days, increase by a total of 1/2 cup.
Yeah, I would increase it a bit.

Usually you feed the amount you'd feed an adult of their expected full-grown weight. As in, she's about 33-35 lbs now, so I'd expect her to be at least 50-55 lbs full grown. If she's getting good exercise, I wouldn't be surprised if she needed 3 to 2 1/2 cups a day of a food with a kcal/cup of something around 400 (as in, not a diet food and not a performance/high calorie food).

While every dog's metabolism is different, my former pit bull foster Luna was about 40-45 lbs, 2 years old and she ate 3.5 cups. Frankie was about 55 lbs, about 5 years old, and ate about 3 cups.

(A carrot won't really add any calories, they like to chew on them but you'll likely see bits of carrot come through undigested)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
If a pup's diet is low enough in calories that it's losing weight, I'd be concerned it was too low in nutrition necessary for healthy growth. Even if puppies are fat the thing to do is to let them grow into their weight.

That's not really a pose where body condition can be judged, and even if it were, puppies often go back and forth between pudgy and lanky so body condition isn't easy to judge visually unless it's extremely wrong. But as the dog is growing and therefore gaining body mass you would expect upward weight trends even if the dog is in a lanky phase.

Yes, I would absolutely feed her more.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 4.5 month old, weighs 30 pounds and usually eats 2.5-3 cups of food a day (acana larger breed puppy). In the morning he tends to eat 1/2 of a cup, then in the evening he eats 2 and a 1/2 cups (don't know why he splits it that way, but that's what he does 90% of the time). I pretty much feed him as much as he'll eat. He's definitely gaining weight every week, though is not over weight by any means.

Did you bring the pup to the vet when you first got him? If not, that would probably be a very good thing to do. I got my dog from a very high end breeder and he still went to the vet within 3 days of getting him just to be sure he was healthy.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Interesting... the food bag, which usually tends toward overfeeding, recommends ~2 cups/day. But I'll try bumping it up. If she starts looking pudgy, I can always dial it back.

Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
People scales are often a bit inconsistent, unless you're buying some super-duper fancy ultra-accurate kind. I'd only use it to get a general idea and not panic about fluctuations.

With animals it's better to go by body condition than weight anyway.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
People scales are often a bit inconsistent, unless you're buying some super-duper fancy ultra-accurate kind. I'd only use it to get a general idea and not panic about fluctuations.

With animals it's better to go by body condition than weight anyway.
Good points. It's a pretty high end home scale, but since I'm doing relative measurements (increase or decrease), it should be pretty good anyway. If I were doing static, single time measurements, then I'd take several and average to get out the error.

What brand and formula?
OK, don't bash me, but... Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice for puppies. I may switch to another higher end brand here in a week or two. OTOH, I see a lot of breeders using it, so...

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
OK, don't bash me, but... Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice for puppies. I may switch to another higher end brand here in a week or two. OTOH, I see a lot of breeders using it, so...
Not going to bash, just wanted to get an idea of the protein/fat content and the calories per cup since that can vary pretty widely. Its 457 kcals/cup which is on the higher side of average so it compares in that regards to the foods I feed and was guessing how much she probably needs.

She isn't fixed, correct? Intact dogs generally have higher metabolisms than fixed dogs.

I'd expect to see her steadily gaining a bit of weight each week as she grows so yeah, up the food a bit and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Yeah, I would increase it a bit.

Usually you feed the amount you'd feed an adult of their expected full-grown weight. As in, she's about 33-35 lbs now, so I'd expect her to be at least 50-55 lbs full grown. If she's getting good exercise, I wouldn't be surprised if she needed 3 to 2 1/2 cups a day of a food with a kcal/cup of something around 400 (as in, not a diet food and not a performance/high calorie food).

While every dog's metabolism is different, my former pit bull foster Luna was about 40-45 lbs, 2 years old and she ate 3.5 cups. Frankie was about 55 lbs, about 5 years old, and ate about 3 cups.

(A carrot won't really add any calories, they like to chew on them but you'll likely see bits of carrot come through undigested)
As a contrast, my Luna is about 58lbs and eats a little less than 2 cups.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not going to bash, just wanted to get an idea of the protein/fat content and the calories per cup since that can vary pretty widely. Its 457 kcals/cup which is on the higher side of average so it compares in that regards to the foods I feed and was guessing how much she probably needs.

She isn't fixed, correct? Intact dogs generally have higher metabolisms than fixed dogs.

I'd expect to see her steadily gaining a bit of weight each week as she grows so yeah, up the food a bit and see what happens.
That's right. Not fixed yet, and like I said, she's been getting way more exercise than she was getting before I got her. So yeah, her metabolism is churning. Already started on the higher portions, and... well... she's loving that!

Also looking to switch over to Kirkland Signature brand, and based on reviews, it's looking like a good value for improved quality (though not high end, I realize).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After another week the owner is happy to report to have lost another pound, while puppy jumped up to 37 lbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts