Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made some weave poles for my backyard for the pups to play with. I'm not ever going to compete with them, its just something for us to do for fun. Two of my pups will weave if I lure them with a treat. Does anyone know of a website or book that goes into how to train them to do the poles faster and without the lure? Theyr'e not ready for that yet, but if I read up, I'll probably be better able to teach them.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
In the early stages of training it's often easier to create an enclosed course with chicken wire or plastic tubing along with the weave poles...basically a 'tunnel'....only one way in and one way out. You still use the pushing/pulling hands (luring) while building the muscle memory. Weave pole training can often take a year for the dog to learn correctly and with speed so, don't get discouraged if you don't see any improvement right away.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I'm not disappointed, I'm proud that they did it the first time they've ever seen poles. I was impressed. I just wanted to make sure that the stupid human (me) wasn't doing something wrong.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The link LWB gave is what my siter in law uses.....and she uses a treat like you did.......Our class did learn with 3 at first. you can use anything.....stick a plant stake in the ground.....I think it's 20 inches to 23? inches wide.....just remember to start the dog going in the weave on the right side...

Goog Luck and have fun!! :)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
There's a variety of methods. I do NOT like the luring method- you end up with dogs who can't weave ahead of you.

I'd recommend picking up a copy of the Jane Simmons Moake books on Amazon (the first one has 3 ways to teach weaves and they're all good) OR Susan Garrett's 2x2 Weaves DVD set. The 2x2 method is a little strange but the results it produces are spectacular, and it obvoiusly makes sense to the dogs.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
There are many methods, including weave-o-matic, wires, channels. You can usually spot the dogs in competition who have been lured through. If you are absolutely sure you're not going to compete, there's nothing wrong with that. If there is the slightest chance that you might compete at some point later on, I suggest you seek out the help of a successful Agility trainer. My favorite method is Susan Garrett's 2x2, seen here in action:

http://www.clickerdogs.com/2x2_weave_training.php

Susan has several very helpful DVDs available, including "2x2 Weave Pole Training: 12 Poles in 12 Days." Watching her "Crate Games" and "Success with One Jump" DVDs, and reading her book, "Shaping Success" first is a good idea to help you understand her methods and to give your dog a solid foundation on some basics while building drive and self control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts