Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we've had our dog (about 1 year) we've kept her choker chain on all the time, that way it's easy to attach when we take her outside to go for a walk or potty.

Lately I've been taking it off of her when she is inside and just putting it on when I take her out because I read somewhere that dogs can choke themselves on them..? Is that true?

Anyways, my husband wants to keep it on her all the time because it's more convenient, I want to leave it off and only put it on when she has a leash on.

Is it safe to leave it on her all the time? Or should we just deal with the extra little bit of work of taking it off when inside and putting it on when outside?

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
no it is not safe.

besides trachea damage I have seen with my own eyes a dog hook its dewclaw on the chain when scratching and break the dewclaw trying to untangle himself...

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Safety is the big concern. Dogs have hung themselves on decks, stair railings and gotten their paws caught in the collars. With long haired breeds matting can get pretty bad.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
It is extremely dangerous to leave a choke chain on a dog at all times. It is so easy for them to get it caught on things and strangle themselves or do other damage. If you want a collar you can leave on all of the time a buckle collar is safer, and a break away collar being safest. We only put collars on our dogs when we are going outside.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
sure...

some dogs have rear dewclaws...the thumb like claw on their feet. He started scratching his neck and one of his rear dewclaws got stuck in the links and he couldn't pull it loose immediately and I was walking over to help him and he yelped...because the nail cracked and cut into the quick(the vein all dogs have in their nails) and he was bleeding.

and choke chains can cause trachea damage. So if your dog is say...in the house wandering around and she get the choke caught on something and ties to free herself she can hurt herself like that. Or if you correct with it too hard.

those things come with a warning about it not to tied a dog up with one or have them wear it all the time.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Tori is the only dog in our household that always wears a collar, and it's just a regular buckle collar. Chokers aren't even meant to be used for taking dogs outside, and if you don't use it correctly it can injure the dog. Investing in a regular collar (and if your dog slips, they have some no-slip collars I believe) is the best thing to do.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Sorry, could you explain this a little more?
The Dewclaw is the little toe on the inside of the ankle on the front and/or back legs. some dogs have them some don't

Ya choke chain collars should ONLY be used for training or conformation shows if you do not intend to train the dog while he is wearing it (and I asume you arn't showing) then don't put one on him.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Oooh, dangerous dangerous. It is a CHOKER, after all. Dogs do choke to death on them all the time. I would never leave a choker on an unsupervised dog. A good flat collar to hold her tags on, or no collar at all would be better.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Agree that chokers should not be worn as everyday jewelry, but investing in a decent set of clippers should solve the dew claw problem.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all, she won't be wearing it in the house. Hubby wants to put it on her when we take her potty...but we are hopefully building a fence, so if that happens we wont' need any leashes in the backyard at all, yay!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Call me weird if you want but my dogs are rarely collared in the house. Too many bad things can happen when you aren't watching..and maybe even when you are. My families first dog..Snoopy..was kept outside and tethered to the clothes line. Not my choice. I rescued her a few times. That's another story.

Anyway..my beliefs were reinforced just last week.

I'm taking care of a dog who is epileptic. He has a comforter on the floor close to my computer chair. I had been up and about before I settled again and the dogs..being dogs..followed suit. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until I heard Mr T whimpering and I looked over at him.

He was quivering and whimpering. It looked like a seizure coming on and I hussled the other dogs away and went to comfort him. I wasn't sure what was going on because nothing progressed. He had one paw raised up as if in a spasm. As I soothed him I explored his paw and finally it led me to his dew claw.

It was caught in the leash hook of his cloth collar!!

Talking with a friend the other day..the same thing happened to her "well manicured" dog.

Nope..as long as I am boss of this house the rules are..inside is collar free zone.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Choke collars imo shouldn't be used at all. If used the wrong way even in training they can cause damage. I stopped using them in 2000 after my obedience club banned them. When we did use them we were told to only use them while at training & never leave them on the dog. Even flat collars with dog tags on them can get caught on things. A friends dog got its tags caught between the boards on her patio.
My dogs don't wear their collars at all, at home. Only when we go for walks & training.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
ANYTHING around a dog's neck can be a danger. My dogs never wear collars at home, and they walk with harnesses. To me it doesn't matter if it's a clicker or a "choker", my end goal is to eliminate the training tool. They work fine as a tool, but if you're having to ask about proper use on the forum, I would suggest another way of training.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Very dangerous.

My dog never wears a collar, hardly ever. if we leave the house and he needs to be on leash, then yes he wears one. Even if we go to the dog park he doesnt wear one.

Is putting a collar on that takes all of 15 seconds to do worth the death of your dog, or a emergency vet visit?

Chokers are training tools, not collars.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is putting a collar on that takes all of 15 seconds to do worth the death of your dog, or a emergency vet visit?

This is what I said to my hubby last night. Resulted in a fight, lol...great way to end valentine's day. Should have waited to post this til another time...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts