Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog's been on her prong collar for a few months now, and she's made a lot of progress with it, but I want to wean her from that and onto a martingale collar. It seems like no one who knows her thinks it's possible. I tend to get blank looks of 'Are you kidding?' every time I bring it up.

What I plan to do is use both collars for a short time [well I'll see if that's possible with her neck skin in the way] and work slowly on loose leash walking with the clicker in the yard, then the driveway, etc etc. The main reason I want to use both is because she still pulls like crazy without the prong on, even if it's not being used, it's just a reminder that there's someone on the other side of the leash.

But would it be more effective to switch right to the martingale collar?

Another thing I'm worried about is that she still jumps on random peopel when we're walking. And I mean random. Half the time she'll ignore them, half the time she tries to say hello. She's at a point where she listens to me perfectly in the house [working on getting everyone else involved in the training so she listens to them too] but outside.. not so much.

/: I guess partially just looking for support with the whole switch. Everyone else thinking it's not possible [except my mum, who seems to be all for it] is kinda making think it's not possible.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You can make the switch anytime to any type of collar after she's learned where she is supposed to walk. If you haven't done that training yet with the prong collar on then you can't make the switch.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's at a point where she knows not to go to the end of the leash, but I have a feeling that's only because the prong is reminding her. In low distraction environments she does great with healing, even off leash in the yard. But as soon as there's something to sniff it all goes to waste.

I think I might just start over completely with her on the martingale.

·
Banned
342 Posts
I am not sure I understand why a person would choose to use a prong collar considering all of the negative issues that can arise if a person is not familiar with the key points in the process of using such a tool. I would think that a person would research how to use one before doing so including how to correctly wean the dog off of the correction based tool so that the dog no longers needs further training on other collars or with other tools. From what I understand a dog should only need to be on a prong collar for a few weeks at most if the collar is being used correctly as to do otherwise would indicate a failure to use corrections properly and effectively. Is'nt the idea of the correction process to administer but one or two good corrections so that the behavior is extinguished from repeating? I am not sure I understand why a dog would need to be subjected to more than a few corrections to resolve an issue. Is it possibly because the dog is not recieving a true correction? If so would this not cause serious backlash behavior?

:confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have my reasons for choosing the prong, and I did research before deciding on it. It's helped with many of her bad walking habits, however for loose leash walking it has not been as affective. As with any other training method every dog will react differently and the time it takes to train using that method will vary greatly.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
There are two parts to loose leash walking...stopping the pulling is the first step.
The second and more important, in my view, is teaching the dog WHERE to walk.
It certainly doesn't have to be precision heeling but, the dog should understand the promixity you want during walks. That can mean 3' ahead, 3' to the side and/or 3' behind is just fine. That needs to be taught....the collar...no matter what it is, doesn't teach that....the handler has to do that.
I said 3' for a reason....it's part of the teaching. Thats the length of your arm and the only time the dog is going to get a treat/reward/praise during the walk is when the dog comes into that 3' circle of your arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts