Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if anybody has tried feeding raw chicken as the 1st weaning food! There is some on the market it consists of ground raw chicken & bones with no additives! What are your thoughts I like the idea!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Three weeks is too young for weaning, consult with your mentor.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Weaning is started at 4 weeks by most I know, the food used Is ground down and liquefied to a gruel with milk substitute. As far as weaning to raw, this is done after the pups have more teeth (6 weeks plus) as they cannot break down bone and bone cannot be ground down effectively without back teeth.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
I weaned a recent foster puppy starting at three weeks with no issue. If I were going to do raw I would probably just get a blender to blend ground chicken, turkey, etc. with some milk and gradually increase the density of the gruel with more chunks of chicken as the puppy grew teeth. I know a lot of breeders that DO wean straight onto raw food, but I'm not sure of the details as to how they do it.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
In uk there is a company that sells it especially for weaning (pre ground) www.naturalinstinct !
That would be fine, but it would still need to cut with milk (goats milk or canine milk replacement) to make a gruel the first couple weeks and IF you're going to start at 3 weeks it should be a supplemental feeding only, four weeks really is when you get more serious with weaning (due to teeth coming in).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yes I realise that, I have had litters already but always used Royal canin & mum feeds till she fed up with it really cos those teeth hurt!

·
Registered
943 Posts
My Shiba Inu breeder starts introducing commercial ground raw meats (bone and all) at around 4 weeks too I believe, they still nurse until they are weaned right around the 7-8 week mark, and she supplements with goats milk once a day until 12 weeks I believe (if she doesn't sell them by this point). She also feeds %100 raw for the first 4 months for pups she keeps, and starts introducing kibble as 1 meal/day after that a long with 1 raw meal a day (kibble in AM's, raw in PM's)

I followed this diet with my Kelpie puppy, although I got him at 7-1/2 weeks, I fed him %100 premade ground raw with bone/organs until 4 months old supplemented with goats milk once a day, then slowly introduced kibble after 12 weeks of age. Both my dogs ate a 50/50 kibble and raw diet for a bit and I slowly started cutting back the kibble and introducing some prey model raw into the diet.

I've been pretty happy with the commercial pre made fresh frozen raw diet I feed, my Shiba Inu as been on it since he was a pup and he's now 6.5 yrs with no issues, My Kelpie mix has been eating it steadily now for a year with no issues, but now that I finally got a deep freeze I've been adding in prey model raw varieties for the last 6 months and decreasing kibble, just to have a bit more variety. So, If you can afford to wean your pups onto ground raw, I would definitely encourage it :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I know breeders here that wean right onto ground raw. No milk added, just a bit of warm water to make it a bit soupy. But the ground product is well ground - no bone shards - so that might be something to consider. There is a few foods on the market that are ground but there are small chunks of bone still in. They usually start with chicken for a few days, then add in a different meat for a few days, much like you would for human babies, in case there's an issue with something. By 8 weeks they are getting ground raw and bones to chew on and play with and go home on the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts