Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few ppl have said that they think that our female, Josefina might have some coyote in her, she has always been a little..... Weird, I can't explain it but she has. She doesnt act like any dog I have ever had & everything I read about coy-dog hybrids fits her to a tee. Here is my photobucket page ( she also is in my sig, she is on the far left) as she matures she is starting to act "less like a dog" http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z392/draggoness1982/ - here is my page, her pics start at the bottom.

I know it's "highly unlikely" but my intuition tells me she has some coy blood in her & when it comes to animals my intuition is never wrong.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
What exactly makes you think she might be part coyote? (What behaviors?)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When she barks it sounds like a coy "yip" when she plays with the other dogs she is "different" Incan explain it, one of these days I will take a vid of it because I wouldn't be able to explain it, it is something you have to see. Sometimes she acts scared of ppl even tho she has never been struck & was raised by ppl since 4wks when they were taken in by the SPCA. Her biggest thing is her desire to always roam off, plus she always looks out at the "wild" like something in her is calling her. She will also act so good like a normal dog, for a while, then she will suddenly go wild & do everything she isn't supposed to.

She of course has been trained since we got her at the age of three months with positive methods & such, also when she barks she has this kind of yip-bark that is btw a coyote yip & a dogs bark. She is supposed to be a heeler but she doesn't even act like one, she doesn't act like any heeler mix..... Or like any dog I have ever had, when she "herds" it's more like prey behavior then herding behavior.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Honestly, nothing you described stands out as being unordinary dog behavior. If anything, she just sounds like a typical Cattle Dog. If she is mixed with something, I highly doubt it's Coyote.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Personally, I think she's purebred cattle dog. I don't really see anything else in her. And most of those behaviors pretty much sound like my Sydney. And really like a lot of dogs IMO.

Unless you think she has some wild animal in her too!! ;)

·
Registered
751 Posts
When she barks it sounds like a coy "yip" when she plays with the other dogs she is "different" Incan explain it, one of these days I will take a vid of it because I wouldn't be able to explain it, it is something you have to see. Sometimes she acts scared of ppl even tho she has never been struck & was raised by ppl since 4wks when they were taken in by the SPCA. Her biggest thing is her desire to always roam off, plus she always looks out at the "wild" like something in her is calling her. She will also act so good like a normal dog, for a while, then she will suddenly go wild & do everything she isn't supposed to.

She of course has been trained since we got her at the age of three months with positive methods & such, also when she barks she has this kind of yip-bark that is btw a coyote yip & a dogs bark. She is supposed to be a heeler but she doesn't even act like one, she doesn't act like any heeler mix..... Or like any dog I have ever had, when she "herds" it's more like prey behavior then herding behavior.

Not to be mean, but thats a very poor arguement as to why you think she may have coyote in her.
She looks like a cattle dog to me.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
My own ACD, Ma'ii (ironically his name is the Navajo word for "Coyote") gives off a "wild dog" vibe all too often. I think this is just the Dingo in them we're seeing.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Your dog is a farm bred ACD with creeping tan.

ACD's are always going to give that "wild" vibe off...... They used Dingos in the development of the breed.
It is part of what makes them interesting. The breed does seem to have a much wider array of vocals than most dogs. The yips you describe are common in ACDs in play. Does she howl at fire trucks? coyotes? etc Mine do... My wife sings in a semi professional choral group. Sometimes they howl when she practices.

While most ACDs like to stay in sight of their person, some are definately roamers.

And this...
Her biggest thing is her desire to always roam off, plus she always looks out at the "wild" like something in her is calling her. She will also act so good like a normal dog, for a while, then she will suddenly go wild & do everything she isn't supposed to.

She is just being an ACD.... They are neurotic about keeping an eye on things....

She sounds like a normal ACD to me...

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Hmm, I never knew Dingo was used to develop the ACD, but it does explain a lot about their structure I couldn't figure out.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Very interesting indeed! dogdragoness - I like the photo #25 on your photobucket album ... she looks cool in that pic. :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Have to agree she sounds just like my nieces ACD. Who is very vocal and has her own language so to speak. And her dog doesn't play in our group like our lab does she is just different but she's not got any coyote in her. I think the others are right she's the typical ACD with quirks.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I was considering an adorable ACD at the local shelter- good with dogs, good with kids, all that good stuff. Until a friend of mine described an ACD she had that sounded like a wolf- extremely hard to train, wild, once decided to leave the house via a closed window (!), stuff like that. I did a little digging and discovered that's pretty much par for the course for ACDs.

I hope that little girl gets a good home, but that's more than I can handle right now.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Hmm, I never knew Dingo was used to develop the ACD, but it does explain a lot about their structure I couldn't figure out.
Yep. The early settlers in Australia needed a dog that was able to drive cattle for long distances across the outback, and their sheep dogs just weren't cutting it, so they crossed those sheep dogs with the Dingo, and that's how the ACD was created.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes look at any red heeler (buddy as an example below in my sig) that's where it really shows lol. She might be an "I'll bred" ACD, so many ppl were saying that she was I got kinda paranoid lol, sorry for overreacting maybe she is mixed with BC or husky or somehing like that? (if she is a mix at all).

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have to agree she sounds just like my nieces ACD. Who is very vocal and has her own language so to speak. And her dog doesn't play in our group like our lab does she is just different but she's not got any coyote in her. I think the others are right she's the typical ACD with quirks.
Lol Josefina is even strange for an ACD, they are easy to train as long as you win & keep their respect everyone says the males are more loyal then females & while Buddy *is* pretty loyal, & is totally in love with me (they say makes are in love with you, while females just love you lol).

If she is pure ACD likw I said she isn't a very good example of one, a good ACD will always be willing. To serve their master & work for them oh one thing found Intresting about Izze was her unwanted to play or associate with other breeds of dogs other then cattle dogs :/ no kidding lol

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I don't think she's a mix. I've had 7 paps so far and Rose is a total outlier among the dogs with just a very different kind of temperament. Of my shelties, Trey was really strange and different compared to the others. Within one breed there can be a large variance among individuals.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Yes look at any red heeler (buddy as an example below in my sig) that's where it really shows lol. She might be an "I'll bred" ACD, so many ppl were saying that she was I got kinda paranoid lol, sorry for overreacting maybe she is mixed with BC or husky or somehing like that? (if she is a mix at all).
Interesting, Hubby and I met a Red Heeler the other day and he was raving about what handsome dogs they were. I let him know they could be a handful and might not be the best breed for our household. I love their looks and everyone I've met has been really nice but I know they can be a bit hardheaded and tend to be very independent thinkers (as are most herders).

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Laurelin>> your paps are very cute :)
Chellenburger>> yes they are esthetic dogs which is why so many ppl jump in without learning the breed, or they see someone with well trained/well behaved ACDs (not the same thing with this breed IME... Josefina is well TRAINED but not well behaved, Buddy & my late, great friend Izze are/were well BEHAVED but aren't/weren't well TRAINED... Both know basic commands: come, sit, stay, down but flat out refuse to learn anything else LMBO). Then again this is my personal experience over a span of 10 yrs, as with any breed others experiences might differ.

This is not a breed that you can "butter up" into learning cutesy tricks like the famous Skidboot, some are like that but they have to want to do it, if they aren't interested then forget it :/.

So my dog is just a 'regular' freak, not a 'hybrid' freak...... Whew! That's a relief, I kind of panicked because I thought I was the momma of a half wild animal LMBO. I'll take not very well bred over hybrid any day lol. I didn't want her to be coy dog that's why I started this thread lol, to get some reassurance that she wasn't it can become an ACD/ dog breed quirk discussion thread now lol of you guys want :).

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
yes they are esthetic dogs which is why so many ppl jump in without learning the breed, or they see someone with well trained/well behaved ACDs (not the same thing with this breed IME... Josefina is well TRAINED but not well behaved, Buddy & my late, great friend Izze are/were well BEHAVED but aren't/weren't well TRAINED... Both know basic commands: come, sit, stay, down but flat out refuse to learn anything else LMBO). Then again this is my personal experience over a span of 10 yrs, as with any breed others experiences might differ.

This is not a breed that you can "butter up" into learning cutesy tricks like the famous Skidboot, some are like that but they have to want to do it, if they aren't interested then forget it :/.

So my dog is just a 'regular' freak, not a 'hybrid' freak...... Whew! That's a relief, I kind of panicked because I thought I was the momma of a half wild animal LMBO. I'll take not very well bred over hybrid any day lol. I didn't want her to be coy dog that's why I started this thread lol, to get some reassurance that she wasn't it can become an ACD/ dog breed quirk discussion thread now lol of you guys want :).

Quite the contrary with Ma'ii and many other ACD's I've known. They are ALWAYS willing to learn something new, especially if something rewarding is in it for them. Ma'ii just get's overstimulated to easily and thus has trouble focusing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts