Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are looking for any help that we can get.

We adopted our dog from a shelter about 6 weeks ago. He is a hound/lab mix (40 lbs or so) and is about 18 months old.

Our dog has definitely never been walked on a lead before. We live in a small condo and have to walk him outside in order for him to have any good exercise. We take him on the same path 5 times a day. The path is roughly 1/2 a mile and takes about 15-20 minutes to walk.

We had several sessions with a trainer who said when we walk him and he pulls to pause until he loosens the lead then give the "OK" command and walk again. This has almost become a game to him and he goes back to pulling as soon as we say "OK" (especially when a squirrel is nearby). This is not working after 3 weeks of trying.

Besides the pulling problem our bigger problem is figuring out what type of collar/Halti/harness to use in combination with a lead.

The first two days we tried a neck collar with a nylon lead. He pulled to the point that he would cough for 10 minutes after we took the lead off.

We knew the neck collar was wrong so we next tried a Halti with the nylon lead. This worked for a few days but he quickly figure out the nylon lead was soft enough that he could bite it and it could become a tug toy. We tried high-value treats, his favorite toy, and rawhides to distract him from the nylon lead but once he had it in his mouth we could not get it back from him.

The trainer said to try a chain lead with the Halti so he couldn't put the lead in his mouth and play tug with it. She also said to get him a good tug toy for in the house so his urge to play tug is appeased elsewhere. The Halti/chain lead worked for about a week but the chain lead is VERY heavy. The Halti is like a bridle over his nose and the chain lead pulls it down and I'm sure it is uncomfortable.

Now when we walk him he puts both front paws into the Halti and takes it off his nose. Luckily we have also linked the chain lead to his neck collar so he doesn't run away but he again goes back to pulling and hurting his neck. We've tried stopping when he puts his paws in the Halti and we've tried to continue to walk. It doesn't matter what we try because he finds a way to slip the Halti on EVERY walk.

We also tried to start the walk with the Halti/chain lead and about half-way into the walk we unhook the Halti and put the chain lead on his neck collar. This worked for about 2 minutes then he would pull until he choked again.

We finally tried a nylon harness with the chain lead but once again he discovered the nylon on him and as soon as we step outside he would lie down to try to bite and play with the nylon harness. He does everything he can to slip it and bite it.

My husband and I are completely out of ideas. Is there anything on the market that we can put on him AND use as a lead so we can help train him to walk?

Does anyone have any better tips for training him to walk? Should we try shorter or longer intervals when we pause? We can't remove the distractions when we walk him because they are nature and our neighbors and we don't have alternatives where we live (North-Central NJ).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I am not sure about the collar stuff, we just use a harness.

But, for the walking, instead of just stopping, when he pulls, turn the other way and start walking. Keep on doing this, and he will start paying attention to you because he can't very well pull and look to see if you are about to change direction.

Or, you could attempt to teach him heel without training the loose leash walking first.

Another option, if he is food oriented, is to as you walk, place pieces of easy to swallow foods at the back of your foot. Maybe like hotdogs. Or just keep it in your hands and keep on giving him a bit every so often.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I found my EasyWalk harness to be a life saver with my hound girl. I also found teaching loose leash walking with a clicker and treats made me much more headway than any other style of training (this is when I decided to cross over to clicker and positive reinforcement training). I also use the turn and walk in the other direction as part of it, clicking and treating each and every time the dog is in "the pocket" around my left leg.

Working under distractions especially with a hound takes time, patience and some REALLY good morsels of food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts