Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I didn't realize just how much I hated Fort Drum, NY until I moved here. I LOVE Colorado!
So, the house I picked out on the internet and took sight unseen was a bit different than I imagined, but it's working out great. Other than the actually house needing some minor work, it's a great place!

So, let's recap the trip from NY to Colorado...this should be amusing for you all.
It's April 23rd, and there's a problem clearing military housing...I'm missing some vital paperwork and they are trying to not let me get out of there. Typical Army, one piece of paper and I'm sitting there an additional 4 hours.
But let's go back to the day before, when they picked my stuff up. The movers missed an entire closet, so I had to pack it all in the bed of our truck. This is a Sport Trac, with the short bed, not even a fullsized truck bed, so the crate and everything I left out so the dogs could ride in the bed had to be folded down. So, now I'm stuck in a bad position. Three kids, two dogs, my mother and I...and no room in the truck for the dogs. Three carseats take u the entire back seat of the 4 door truck, and of course someone has to drive and my mom is the passenger...so, what do I do with my dogs? There's no room in the bed whatsoever, it's packed to the point I can't see out the rearview for the entire trip...
So, lucky for me my mom is a great sport and an adventurer...she suggests we lay a blanket on the floorboard of the backseat, and Lacey can ride there. So, there's one dog with a spot, what do we do with Lily?! Again, thanks to Mom for being the support I needed (because frankly by now I'm panicked out) she picked her up and sat the 60 lb dog on her lap and says "I don't know any laws that say we can't ride with her on my lap"...good ole Mom. She rode 2000 miles with my APBT on her lap. Good thing Lacey was a good sport as well, as she rode those 2000 miles laying on the floorboard, at the mercy of 6 little kicking feet.
Our trip took 2 days, I drove from Watertown NY to Indianapolis, IN the first day (arriving at 5 AM) slept until 11 AM and then drove from there to Colby, KS that day and the same morning finished my trip up to Colorado Springs.

We stayed at Motel 6 for 4 days here in Colorado waiting on my house to be finished up..that was cramped too...3 kids, 2 adults, and 2 dogs in a single room for 4 days....oh the horror!

BUT, here we all are, safe and sound, and waiting on my husband to join us in about 2 weeks...it was a wild and crazy trip but a great adventure. Thanks again to my mom for being such a wonderful sport about the dog riding on her lap, I know it couldn't have been all that comfortable!

So, here's a few new pictures at our new house with the huge yard, we're on a 24,000 sq ft lot on a corner of a cul-de-sac so it's nice and the neighbors aren't too close...but the best part? Every neighbor around me has at least 2 dogs, the ones right next door have 2 pitbulls, the ones behind me have 2 GSD's, one has a basset, 2 doxies, and some kind of Husky mix, and I'm not sure what the other neighbor has but they are small.

I am "roof-dog" and will meet you when you come up to park!

Got ball?

Worn out from fetching!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Congrats and welcome!
I lurve CO. So many dog parks and well adjusted dogs!
I too never realized how much I hated St. Louis until I moved here.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
OK.. so when do you all meet up with Harisse and the Crazy Huskies.. or is it Crazy Harisse and the huskies?

Glad you made it. I will be sure to send you regular weather reports from NYS next winter to make sure you keep on liking CO! :)

Did you have a sign on the back of the Truck? "Colorado or Bust!"

·
Registered
945 Posts
Wow. What an experience. Glad you all made it okay! And um... do you know there's a dog on your roof?! :D

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd actually love to meet Harisse and the crazy huskies (or vice versa) but I think they live further north than I do? I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I think all the CO people from here and Chaz need to meet up lol. I drive down to the springs quite often when I can... my best friend is down there and I grew up down there.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Heh, the Springs is all the way over there ----------->

But we do plan on moseying around Chatfield in the near future. After that, you'll be hard pressed to find us anywhere under 9,000 feet. :D

Welcome to Colorado! That sounded hard. Hope your mom's legs have stopped tingling by now.

ETA: Elana, I think I'm the crazy one and they're the stupid ones.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I think all the CO people from here and Chaz need to meet up lol. I drive down to the springs quite often when I can... my best friend is down there and I grew up down there.
I was just going to suggest that. XD We should all go to some dog function together and get lots of pics. =3

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The last few times I met up with some other dog forum people, we found a nice out-of-the-way dog park and just hung out all evening. Although one time, we had margaritas instead LOL.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
¿Did someone say "margaritas"? Ya' know, Bubba has a barrel of wine and the sled dogs can carry up to 6 liters each of some other liquid.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand there's some nice dog parks around here and I know a great place to get margueritas already ;) lol.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Don't forget you're down by all of the cool stuff. Pikes peak and all of it's stuff, Garden of the Gods, Cave of the Winds, Pikes Peak International Raceway, Royal Gorge, the Olympic Training Center...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The Garden of the gods is one of my favorite places down there. Had some midnight dates there, some fun walks with the dogs... good memories. I want to get married there.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Don't forget you're down by all of the cool stuff. Pikes peak and all of it's stuff, Garden of the Gods, Cave of the Winds, Pikes Peak International Raceway, Royal Gorge, the Olympic Training Center...
hey, don't forget the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame, Cripple Creek, Raton Pass, the sand dunes....i lived in CO from 12 to 29 yrs old...but that was a while ago....

Garden of the Gods is awesome and if you get the chance go to the Flying W Ranch and see the Flying W Wranglers (if ya like country music:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Garden of the Gods is awesome and if you get the chance go to the Flying W Ranch and see the Flying W Wranglers (if ya like country music:rolleyes:)
Actually, a friend of mine from Fort Bragg and I are supposed to go see them next week Tirluc :)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
let me know what you think of them...i'm sure the group is different since i've seen them, at least one or 2 of them, but i really liked their show.....bring something like an oven mitt or something....the meal is served on tin plates and the coffee is in tin cups so they get very hot, very fast:D.....just a heads up:)...(oh, you go thru a line to get them, they're not served....at least that's the way it was when i last saw them...)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts