Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all.

My wife and I own a loveable old dog named Molly. She is about 10 years of age, with obvious arthritic problems, although she is still active. She sleeps a large part of the day, but then again, my wife and I enjoy playing, as she still does too. She also has a wonderful appetite. What I am asking is...are the balding elbows normal for a dog her age? And if you know, what might be the average life span of a dog her mix? Thank you. Tony, Jude and, and....Molly

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
you're welcome. Preferably you want to have nice soft beds and areas for the dog to lie down on. Lying on hard floors isn't good for her joints either.

As for expected age, it sort of depends on the size of the dog. Medium and smaller dogs tend to live longer.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
How big is Molly?

I walk my dog everyday, as well as part of the time off leash, and give him about a tablespoon of Missing Link Plus with every meal for his arthritis.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just had to join this site to respond. We just had to put our Belgian Sheepdog chow mix to sleep last week and are still grieving. She lived 18 years and had the same rear leg arthritic problems so when she was about 16+ we started carting her around in a double baby cart. I would love to know more about your dog and see if your dog was similair to ours (Cynder). I only have seen one other with this mix and I believe that dog was about 15+.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Sorry for your loss. 18 years is an impressive age.

I know this wasn't your question, but I started on Missing Link Plus when my dog was 7 yo, before any symptoms. At 12 yo, he started having symptoms in one rear and one front leg. I recently started looking at Myristin (Cetyl Myristoleate) with dramatic success. It may have a minor affect on his liver numbers, the Vet said it was minor. People have also suggested Adequan.

I know this isn't currently pertinent, but in the future....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts