Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been thinking and talking about getting a second dog for about 3 months now and finally found her last night! I had been watching petfinder and filled out a couple adoption apps and hadn't really found any that fit and that we really wanted to go see (that or they were only listed for a day before they were gone!). Then I saw the local humane society list a bunch of puppies yesterday morning and figured what the hey it's just down the street, might as well go look.....And here's what we came home with!

They were calling her Zara, we changed her name to Zoey. She's 4 months old and they labeled her a Plott Hound mix (I have some reading to do, don't know much about Plott Hounds). You can see the brindle coloring that she has on her face and all four legs, the rest is black. She came off the "resuce wagon" that brings puppies from the south in high kill shelters up to northern shelters and rescues. She came from Mississippi.

Our first night went really well. We did a meet and greet with her and Luke at the shelter before we made the final decision and it went really well. She totally loves Luke and he is super happy to have a playmate. They played great when we got home, it took her awhile to finally potty outside but she took to the crate great. She also slept straight through the night!! No accidents and didn't make a sound!! She settles right down in her crate when we put her in there to take a break. And I think she's super smart, already starting to wander towards the door when she has to go potty.

I was pretty nervous when I went to bed last night, I had the "OMG what have we done" feeling, but feel much better this morning. I think she may have a little bit of kennel cough, but we are going to the vet tomorrow night for her new puppy exam.

Question to those with multiple dogs, how much time should we be spending with just her alone, without Luke. She has already taken to him alot, probably more than us and I want to make sure we establish a good bond and relationship with her too. She's a little shy around people, and with my husband right now, but I expect that to change pretty quick since he will be home with her the majority of the work week days. I will also be signing her up for a puppy socialization class very soon as well so she can get out without Luke.

More pictures to come soon! And feel free to comment on her breed guesstimation!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh, she is a doll, isn't she? I would love more pics of her! I am such a novice, so no breed guesses from me. I am glad the first night went well. I know that feeling where you aren't sure if you did the right thing, but it will pass quickly.
I adopted Arlo over a month ago and I find myself looking at petfinder more and more. Oh boy! Gotta stay away from that one ;)

Have fun with her!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Oh RON!!! Where are you?

Kady, a moderator here by the name of Ron has a rescued Plott (mix?). I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A close family member of mine owns Plott Hounds and so I urge you to be prepared to exercise! My cousin hunts bears with his Plotts and they will go out in the woods for close to 24 hours at a time tracking and taking down the bears. His dogs are always ready to go! His dogs are extremely loyal and definitely love their family. His house was broken into and one of his hounds was taken along with his guns. He never got the guns back but Howie came back a day or two later with his pads bloodied from having traveled so far back home.

I also hope you have understanding neighbors. Their bays and howls are loud and their voices carry for miles. The only thing I don't like about the Plotts is that when at home they are pretty slow to obey but that's a hound for you. She doesn't look purebred to me, coming from Mississippi I wouldn't doubt that she might have somekind of cur in there. That seems to be a pretty common cross for hunting dogs.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
She is precious! I have no advice, but I hope you keep us updated. I'm thinking of adopting a second dog, as well, and I'd love to hear how it goes for you.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Can't tell too much from that one picture but my guy is supposedly a plott mix too (I believe a good amount of other mixed myself) and I could believe plott mix from what you can see of her in the picture. One of my neighbors has a plott hound and as a poster above said he has a very loud bay, but my plott mix doesn't really just the occasional excited howl. If Zoey is anything like my guy Jubel expect very food motivated, med-high energy (loves to run around) but a good off switch inside, powerful chewer (that fits RonE's Esther I know), and just a happy people loving dog.

Come to think of it Zoey looks a bit like Sassafas' Maisy who has been guessed at maybe have some plott in her too.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the Plott hound info and experience!

If Zoey is anything like my guy Jubel expect very food motivated, med-high energy (loves to run around) but a good off switch inside, powerful chewer (that fits RonE's Esther I know), and just a happy people loving dog.

Come to think of it Zoey looks a bit like Sassafas' Maisy who has been guessed at maybe have some plott in her too.
Food Motivated. Check.
Powerful chewer. Check. She's intense when she chews too, she really goes to town on her Kong.

She did great today, only one accident (and that was 110% the hubby's fault :doh:) but it was near the door we go out. She's very smart, doing good with "sit" and getting less timid. Still a little jumpy and we have to approach her slowly, she doesn't like when we reach over the top of her. She has been dragging a leash the entire time, except for when in the crate, and that definitely makes things easier. She's super in her crate. Whines for a couple minutes then naps. So far she's been pretty quiet, no barking yet, she is snoring right now though. I weighed her tonight and she weighs about 26 pounds.

More pics, excuse the crappy cell phone quality.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG she is a mini-Maisy. I've always wondered what she looked like as a puppy.
Well then I guess it's a good thing I've always thought Maisy was such a cutie!! How big is Maisy?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow....that's crazy!

Zoey had another great night of sleeping quietly through the night. And is noticeably much better about us touching her, she curled right up next to me on the floor last night and I just pet her all over as she slept. And Luke decided to sleep downstairs on the couch next to her crate last night instead of upstairs with us!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had a great trip to the vet tonight with Zoey! She was such a perfect angel. She was very calm, little nervous, but also curious and observant. She was very politely social with everyone she met. Then we stopped at the pet store on the way home to pick up some food and she visited about the same in there. I love her!!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: Zoey is doing great overall. We've had our frustrating times (learning to howl at 3AM) but overall she's doing great. Minimal accidents, mostly sleeping through the night and learning to go back to sleep after potty break, learning to sleep in on weekends. She's improving every day at loose-leash walking, knows sit, down, crawl, shake, high-five and stay. Working on come and off/not jumping.

It's interesting seeing the differences between her and Luke when he was her age. Zoey is such a brave and confident puppy. Luke was (and still is) a big chicken! She is so interested in everything and everyone. And not in a hyper, crazy OMG look at me kind of way. In a friendly, yet polite, observant way. Like tonight at the vet, went straight up to this huge Mastiff to say hello. Luke would have been hiding behind me lol She is also more vocal than Luke. Very whinny when she doesn't get what she wants, and has a very high pitched bark when playing. We are working on no barking in the house...

She is currently wearing the cone of shame. Over the last couple days her spay incision has gotten red and slightly swollen, as well as 2 of her nipples, and she's been crawling around on the carpet rubbing her belly. Vet thinks she's irritated from an allergic reaction to the stitches dissolving. So we have a topical steroid and the cone for a week. Just for good measure...

More pics here http://www.dogforums.com/dog-pictures-forum/108657-zoeys-photo-introduction.html#post1145156

1 - 20 of 28 Posts