Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Misty is finally obeying commands while walking on her leash outside with many distractions. These include: children, school buses, children/people on bikes, other animals, and other general neighborhood hustle and bustle. I am so overjoyed. Today was our first attempt and she obeyed every single time. The commands I started off with were "sit", "down", "wait", and I threw in "shake" because it's one she enjoys.

She's also pulling a lot less at the leash, but only when I give the correction. I suppose that will come with time.

I just had to share this with anyone who cared to read! It's my first time training a puppy and I had no idea how quickly she would learn--she's only almost five months old!

I also forgot to add that she is completely potty trained now--if the door is left open. We will be getting a doggy door shortly, because as soon as we started leaving the door open a crack when we're home there have been NO accidents. This is such a relief!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Congrats - good job on your progress :)

It's always great when you can watch them learn and grow before your eyes. I never had the pleasure of raising a dog from a puppy (Wally came when he was over a year old) so I can only imagine seeing a pup learn so much :)

I think the pulling will come in time, especially if he/she is just excited and wants to sniff everything. Perhaps if he/she pulls, stop and make the pup come back to you and relax the leash. Then keep walking.

I did this for Wally and he got it kinda quick. He'll still go out in front of me a lot (working on that), especially when he's excited/playful, but if he feels some tension on the leash, he'll self-correct now.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the pulling will come in time, especially if he/she is just excited and wants to sniff everything. Perhaps if he/she pulls, stop and make the pup come back to you and relax the leash. Then keep walking.

I did this for Wally and he got it kinda quick. He'll still go out in front of me a lot (working on that), especially when he's excited/playful, but if he feels some tension on the leash, he'll self-correct now.
Thank you--yes, it is amazingly rewarding to see her little mind growing.. As her little teeth fall out and get stuck in my feet. Hahah. ;S

Yes, that's similar to what I do--I'll call her to me and make her sit, then we continue walking. She's getting better--I think it's just all the smells and excitement. Fingers crossed!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts