Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is starting to frustrate me ALOT now.Our two 15 week old yorkies are sibblings,and in most of what they do,they´re exactly the same.At home,everything is normal..they eat,they play,they´re affectionate,they´re super friendly when people visit etc,but once they´re outside our front door,they´re two completely different little dogs.

Bella will not walk..she wont take a single step.What´s worse,is that she doesnt even want to look outwards or have anything to do with the outside world at all.
We have tried treats,we´ve tried contecting her leash to Milos,we´ve tried taking turns holding the leash to see if she´ll walk with either one of us or our kids,we´ve tried sitting on a bench and letting her chill,we´ve even tried keeping her leash and collar on her around the house all day and let her drag it around,play with it etc..nothing works.
She gets INCREDIBLY stressed and her entire face gets soaking wet,she shakes etc,and although we try holding her,she flails about and tries to sit on our head or our shoulder as we walk

I have no idea what else to do and I´m starting to wonder if she´ll ever be OK with being outside.How can I train her to walk on a leash so she can finally enjoy some fresh air and new scenery??

·
Registered
281 Posts
When she shuts down, lift up her hind legs and nudge her gently forward, so she walks with her front legs for a little bit. To her it's just her walking normally.
The mind moves forward, eventually you can drop the hind legs and keep walking, she might shut down again after a few steps but just repeat lifting up her hind legs and keep walking.
Puppies and occasionally some older dogs will fear going outside, or through certain doors. I've done this a million times with those dogs and it always works.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Take her to new places on a daily basis, but don't ask her to walk. Just go, take her dinner with you, sit and relax and let her eat. Make it part of your routine that she goes out for one meal a day, don't stress about it, just relax and ignore her for the most part, so she's not stressed because of you.

Because you have siblings, you may want to do more things 'one on one' including in the house, if you can get someone else to walk the other pup for example and let her spend some time in the house alone, that would help too in the long run.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
My white dog are siblings. I made sure that they had alone time with the humans and separated from each other a couple times each day. IMO This helps them to build individual confidence. :)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
As I said in your other thread - Hamilton became a much better walker when I stopped asking him to walk. When all he had to do was sit on a bench at the park, he started wanting to check more things out. With a yorkie you could even get a dog carrier and just carry her around while you walk her brother. All the sights and sounds and smells but none of the walking!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My APBT puppy wouldn't walk outside either when we first got him. We literally had to pull him along until we were completely out of view of the house. After that, he would start walking just fine. That is, until we got on the bus or went into a building. Then he would do the same thing until he couldn't see the "warm place" anymore. He did this for months, until finally he seemed to realize that he wasn't going to disintegrate in the rain. Now he walks just fine. I wouldn't advise putting off walking your dog until she "gets over it." If you wait that long, she will probably never get used to being outdoors. I know some much older dogs that won't walk in the grass if it's even slightly damp outside.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My puppy was the same. She would go outside but would not leave the yard. I started driving to local parks and she would walk fine. At 9 mo old she still pulls a bit (backwards) until we get off our block. She is just hesitant to leave the house. You can use treats to entice your little guy to enjoy being outside. You could try leaving treats on the steps leading outside or hide a few treats in your yard. Good luck.

·
Registered
404 Posts
We have had our new fur son for about 4 weeks now and had this same issue and tried many of the same things suggested here. What ended up working was this. We carried him outside into our yard where we had chairs set up already for us as well as a few of his favorite toys. But the real "trick" was the grandkids. They were also out there was several of their toys and were running around & playing. I sat Romeo on the ground and me and hubby just ignored him and started talking to each other and the kids. The kids played with their toys for a bit as he watched them, his tail started to wag. Then 1 of the kids took 1 of Romeos toys and was playing with it and before we knew it he was off and running with the kids. Then we put the leash on him ( a re-tracker type that locks) and let him play still with it in locked. Then we took him with the kids and walked him around the yard using the leash. It took about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs but problem is now solved :)

Hope this is of some help.

·
Banned
158 Posts
You mentioned that you have tried leaving her leash and collar on in the house, and that had no effect, but have you tried doing some leash walking in the house? It sounds odd, but if nothing else, it will help you figure out if it is the outside world that is freaking her out, or the pull on the leash. These are two different issues, and need different solutions!

- If she walks in the house, she may be afraid of the outside world....in which case, you should try to start with quiet areas, and build up to the noiser, busier ones (this may mean driving away from the house to a quiet park, doing walk training, and then driving back, if you live on a busy street). Walk her alone sometimes to build up her confidence, and spend time (as you have been doing) going places and then just sitting there, without needing to walk at all. You can also get excited about being outside - ramp up your praise and excitement to ridiculous levels. We are OUTSIDE! Weeeee! This is so AWESOME! Yay! Outside!!! And praise like she just pooped out a cure for cancer whenever she is ok or relaxed...

- If the leash and the pulling is the issue, then you can do some umbilical exercises - tie the leash to your waist, and walk with her inside so that she gets used to the idea that walking is what happens. Just don't do this on rough surfaces - you don't want to hurt her pads, and starting umbilical with a mule usually starts with a little bit of dragging/walking, before it becomes walking all the way. If you are going to her and cuddling and giving praise when she won't walk, she is getting rewarded for pulling against the leash! Create a situation that she loves or wants that is a few feet away, then walk her there on her leash - she may actually pull FORWARD if you make the situation exciting enough - keep extending the distance day by day, little by little.

The most important thing, I think, is to figure out the reason that she isn't walking for you, because that will make it much easier to fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts