Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that we would, but I was painting my own nails today and Kodi carefully smelled the open bottle, and dropped the toy that was in his mouth, licked his nose and backed away quickly.

My nail was wet so I put it up to his nose so he could smell it. Normally if I did that he would lick my fingers because he licks everything, but instead he kind of half reverse sneezed, licked his nose again and backed up like it was repugnant or offensive. I put my painted but dry fingers up to him and he immediately licked them.

I never in a million years expected Kodi to dislike anything, let alone a little bit of wet nail polish on my thumb.

Anyone else have some crazy dogs with strange dislikes?

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I don't think that's too crazy. That stuff smells absolutely awful to me, and a dog's sense of smell is thousands of times more powerful than mine.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I don't think that's too crazy. That stuff smells absolutely awful to me, and a dog's sense of smell is thousands of times more powerful than mine.
I was gonna say that, too. Ugh, that stuff BURNS my nose. Ouchies. Smart doggie.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I agree with the others, its the strong smell.

they make dog nail polish. and it doesnt have the smell, since it doesnt have all the chemicals of real nail polish.

I have blue nail polish I put on blaze once in a while. I got it for a demo at a dog show we were at. since he will sit nicley on a grooming table and sit still. we did demos all day long on his nails lol

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Years ago I was making dog treats for my boyfriend's families dog, and I was going through the pantry and letting her sniff all sorts of ingredients to get an idea of what kinds of treats I could make for her, just as an experiment. I grabbed a bottled of peppermint flavor or extract or something, and I held it up to her nose so that she could smell it. She froze solid, and then took off running. I couldn't get within 10 feet of her with that bottle, lol! She didn't like peppermint scented anything, now toothpaste, not candy, nothing. Now Basil doesn't care about peppermint at all. I use peppermint flavored chapstick and one day I held it up to his nose so he could sniff it, and he sniffed it a little and just sat there. Didn't care at all, lol!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Anything that we can smell very well (such as peppermint or nail polish) is going to be absolutely overwhelming to a dog. Dogs depend on their sense of smell as much as we depend on our sense of sight. Your nail polish just plopped your dog into the middle of a jam-packed rave.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't think it's strange at all for a dog to dislike the smell of nail polish! It does smell horrible and has a very strong chemical smell. I rarely use it (just in the summer on feet if I want to wear sandals to work) and I never use nail polish without being in a room with all the windows open, it reeks and smells poisonous!

Both our dogs hate the smell of anything with a heavy chemical component...cleaning stuff, hair color, etc...they sneeze and leave the room. I don't blame them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts