Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 10 small dogs. We've had 4 experience minor seizures and disorientation. The 4 that have had the episodes are the smallest (under 5 lbs) The disorientation stays for a bit. Some times they loose their bladder afterwords and/or throw up food. I've been through the house and outside to see if there is anything they could be getting into and have turned up nothing. Which leaves me to their food???

Our area (Newark, OH) is without electric still from last weeks storm. With the heat index up to 113 today, our dogs are only outside to pee and then back inside where we are running the air with a generator. I did call our vet, who is also without electric, and he says to just keep an eye on them.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? I'm not sure if we are allowed to mention the food brand here, but it is the only food we have used for over 6 years and have had great luck with it in the past.....but then I think about all those poor people who lost a pet from food recalls a couple of years ago. Just makes me wonder, especially since I'm going nuts trying to figure this out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are worried that it could be the food and you are sure that it is not the heat, you can always look up the food online and see if it has a recall on it. You can also call or contact the company and see if anyone else is having any problems similar to yours.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Make sure that any treats you give aren't made in China. Chicken jerky treats, chicken/sweet potato are the two that come to mind. You have to really check the fine print because some say "USA company", but in tiny print say made in china. Lots of problems with them.

Also, any spot on type treatments for fleas that aren't regular vet prescribed treatments can cause problems. Hartz especially has a history of causing problems.

Any fertilizer/pest control treatment can be a problem.

Certain plants (Sago Palm), cocoa mulch,/bugs (millipedes), animals (toads/frogs), can be toxic.

If you have a pond, blue algae is toxic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, none of them are blood related. I called the food company and they said I was the first call, but they would take note of it. As for pond, mulch, poisonous plants, fertilizer, and so on...no go here. We live in town, and who knows what our neighbors use for pest control or what have you. My little vegetable garden is organic. For our flea treatment we've always used Revolution which is prescribed by our vet. Their treats are homemade.

They aren't outside for very long and even though we're in the area that hasn't had electric since June 29, we are running our air off a generator, so that rules out heat issues too.

They haven't had the seizures on the same day. It's been like maybe over a 3 week period. Only one of the 4 has had more than one seizure so far...and she has had 3 now (that we know of, meaning when we've been home to witness it and help her).

It's just driving me nuts. My husband claims it's nothing in the garage and that he is very careful, but I'll tell you what....I personally feel that is where it's coming from now. It's just an intuition thing. There is just so much stuff in there. I wondered around his crap to see if anything is leaking and looking for wetness but haven't turned up anything so far.

Let's face it. It just has to be something, somewhere here in order for it to be affecting 4 of the 10. That is just too coincidental.

It was certainly worth a shout out here though, to see if anyone else was experiencing this. I know the food I'm using is quite popular, so if it were the food, I'm sure someone here would be having the same issues. I'm not taking it off the table just yet, but I feel a bit more comfortable.

Now, to just find the culprit??? Toad?? I haven't seen any, but that makes me wonder. You know how these little ones like to hunt and play with those things. Good idea spotted nikes, I'll keep my eyes open for that too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankfully power is back up and running today!!! Wahoo! It has been since the June 29 storm. Anyways, just wanting to let everyone know that we still haven't found the culprit to the seizures. No-one in the last 48 hours has had any issues, including throwing up....and the only difference has been the removal of the tiny bites food that we have always fed them. I certainly haven't been able to find anything else around here that could be the problem, so far. I'll be keeping an eye on this for a while to see what happens.

Any other hints or ideas of things to look for or what could be the problem, I'm certainly open to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts