Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello--I'm totally depressed about this...I'm trying to not take it personally, but by golly it's a challenge.
My boyfriend and I recently adopted a 1.5-2 year old shiba inu from a rescue, and much to my sadness...the shiba has become completely attached to my boyfriend, and couldn't care less about me. The shiba exhibits separation anxiety symptoms when my boyfriend so much as leaves the room for 10 seconds. It is not because the shiba is lonely, because I'm sitting next to him. He doesn't get shaky or bark, but he does run around, chew things, try to destroy things, and generally push all of the buttons I possess. He also won't look at me, or play with me, or let me pet him when my boyfriend isn't in the house. What should I do?! I am giving him walks, giving him his food, practicing basic commands with treats...doing bonding activities. Just not sure what else I can do? I'm afraid this dog will tear apart my relationship.

Would love some advice! Thank you

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
A week isnt very long. Try hard not to take it too persoanlly. In my experience, dog's do tend to pick a 'favorite' person in the family. That doesnt mean he wont love you too. I have 3 dogs. I've trained them all and I feed and take care of them, but 2 of the 3 think my husband is the best thing in the world. Once he comes home, they have no interest in me at all. Thats ok. I know they love me too. They show it (when he's not there) and I'd bet your dog will show it too. Give the relationship time to form.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
A week definitely isn't that long. Brady, our pup, was extremely attached to me for about a month before he began really developing a relationship with my boyfriend (We also adopted together).

A few things that help:
YOU be the one to feed him for a couple of weeks
YOU be the one to walk him for a couple of weeks
Take him to obedience (just you and him)
Work on training (just you and him)

The more of these fun/good things that happen with you, the better the bond will become.

But patience.... because the dog is still adapting to the new environment. 1 week is a very short time.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Oh, yes, I think a week is a bit too soon to start worrying! :) But, definitely continue being the one to feed and train, and all that. That should help.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Not too experienced in shiba inus, but some breeds are a one person dog, ACDs are this way, as are GSDs & most of the other working breeds. I also agree with the feeding, training, husbandry idea. Be the one he looks to for everything, with time he will learn that you BOTH are responsible for his care.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Our Boxer latched on to my boyfriend pretty quickly when we adopted her. She loves me too and hangs out with me, even when my boyfriend is around. But it's a sight to behold when he comes home from work. Do I get jealous? Sometimes, when she's hesitant to come with me instead of staying with the boyfriend, I think things like 'I'M the one who found you and took you home! Where's MY appreciation!?" But the truth is, Lucy and my boyfriend are closer than I could ever be with her, and I can't begrudge him the devotion of his first dog.

Like others said, it's still very early. MAKE him interact with you for food, etc. and always be friendly with him. He will warm up to you in the next few weeks, although he may always be more partial to your boyfriend. Right now your boyfriend is his security in the confusing adjustment period- you need to establish yourself as another anchor for him.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
How much background do you have on this dog? With a rescue, there's always a chance of previous experiences factoring into their behavior. Is it possible that the dog was owned by or very attached to a man in his previous home?

My dog likes (no, loves) everyone, but she gets more excited about meeting men than women. I know that one owner before me was a man, and it's possible she bonded with him. Also, since I'm the one instituting all the rules, doing the training, etc., she thinks that women will make her work for what she wants, while men are pushovers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think history could play a part. With Zoey, who I got when she was 10weeks, is noticeably more attached to females than she is to males. Im the one who works with her feeds trains ect. and it seems that she responds better to other women than she does men. Its possible that is whats going on with your situation. Used to men, bonds easier with men.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts