Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are the proud new owners of a 7 month old chocolate lab. Fate was on our side Saturday because as we were walking out of the animal shelter a lady was coming in with him to give him up. They lived in an apt. and he had been living on the balcony with not much attention she said. He looked at us with the please help me look and we brought him home. He is a wonderful dog and I do mean wonderful. He is very attached to the kids and wants to be right with them everywhere they go. Which is nice because we live in a remote area of Alaska and this is exactly why we wanted a dog. He is so protective of them as well. My daughter fell down yesterday outside and was crying,he flew to her,nudged her until she stood up and then he took her by the arm ever so carefully and walked slowly with her to the front door. I know he has never been taught this so I am amazed. He has fairly good manners and is learning very quickly using what I have read here about NILF. He still pulls a little on the leash,but has picked up sit and knows crate and will go from anyroom in the house and get in his crate. So here is where I need help. I am 127 miles from the closest real town which means there are no dog trainers for me to go to. I would like to find some books to read and maybe some DVDs to watch to help train him. It is important to me to teach him using not only words but hand commands because if we were to encounter a moose I don't want to be yelling at him for my or his safety.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I have no tips for you but I hope you will/have posted pictures of him. I would love to see him. He sounds like a great fit for your family...loved the story of him helping your daughter. How old is she? What a great addition for your children to learn from. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My daughter is 7. I haven't posted pictures of him yet but I will do that soon. We are so lucky to have been at the shelter at that very moment. We just went in to see what was there,kind of killing time and also looking at the same time. Nothing really seemed to care anything about us being there so we were walking out and there he was. He is just a perfect dog,everything we were looking for and he is still a young pup which makes it even better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His official AKC name is Gordon's Buckshot of the North. We call him Buck. The lady handed over all his AKC papers and so now next week when I make the 2.5hr drive back to town he will come and get a total vet check.

I hope to be able to find some books at the local libary so if you know of some must read training books please let me know.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Just a brief list off the top of my head:

"The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell
"How Dogs Think" by Stanley Coren
"The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller
"Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson

These threads might help:
http://www.dogforums.com/3-dog-training-forum/27208-good-training-book-online.html
http://www.dogforums.com/3-dog-training-forum/24196-good-books-want-share.html
http://www.dogforums.com/2-general-dog-forum/47145-big-dog-book-thread.html

There is also a DVD called "Really Reliable Recall" -- I haven't watched it myself, but have heard others rave about it on this forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts