Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running out of ideas on ways to get the word out about Luna. We just haven't had much interest in her. Nearly everyone who meets her falls in love with her, but very few of the people who have met her are potential adopters.

She's on petfinder of course, but unfortunately that makes her one of a gazillion pit bulls on petfinder.

I made flyers with several photos of her and a short description with a contact email address. These have been posted on the corkboards at most of the pet stores in town (mainly our local chain with its 8 or so stores, one or two of the PetSmarts; not at any of the shops that sell puppies!), at our dog trainer's, and at my vet's clinic. A flyer or two at non-pet places like a local bagel shop.

She's been featured on the rescue's FB page; we had one potential adopter look at her after that... the potential adopter decided she wasn't ready for any dog at all, let alone a "high energy dog." After about 40 minutes of slow paced walking with Luna she was ready to call it a day and I had to break the news to her that we were doing less than half a normal day's exercise.

Anyone got suggestions for easily homemade (or cheap!) "Adopt Me" wear?
Any ideas on what else I or the rescue can do to get people considering Luna?

I like her a lot, but I don't want a permanent second dog right now and I worry that the longer she is here, the harder it will be for her to adjust to a new home (she's a very cuddly and person-oriented dog) and I'm also worried that it will burn me out on fostering which I would very much like to continue (with shortish breaks between dogs, maybe 6 weeks or something)

·
Registered
203 Posts
We have a doggy day care / boarding facility that is great. Cage free - we take the collars & leashes off before they even walk in. Do you have anything like that locally? Here, they accept one (sometimes up to three) of our "long timers" from the shelter to attend the day care, one day a week, free of charge. They post the dogs profile on the front door and we consider it our good luck charm. Every dog that starts going gets adopted within the month after having no interest for the previous 6 months. IMO, it perfectly targets local dog lovers and shows point blank that this dog has no dog or people aggression.

I love this vest http://www.houndgear.net/VestProductPage.html but making a vest yourself would be cheaper, depending on your skill level. ;)

Are there people in Luna's pictures on Petfinder? I've heard that helps a lot.

How about contacting the local newspapers? Ask if they would consider running an article on her?

GOOD LUCK LOVELY LUNA!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Huh, that's interesting. I hadn't heard that before. I wonder how it works?

The article idea is really good (especially with all the amazing progress she's made! I've been lurking) and the daycare idea.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Are there any breed-specific rescues in your state you could contact? I'm sure they'd put a courtesy post on their website if they have one.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Spring is coming - are there any pet fairs in your area? There are a ton here, and I'm usually there for disc competitions. I see dogs walking around there with "adopt me" vests. Also try the farmer's market, if you have one.

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm going to reply in bold for each person, thanks for the ideas

We have a doggy day care / boarding facility that is great. Cage free - we take the collars & leashes off before they even walk in. Do you have anything like that locally? Here, they accept one (sometimes up to three) of our "long timers" from the shelter to attend the day care, one day a week, free of charge. They post the dogs profile on the front door and we consider it our good luck charm. Every dog that starts going gets adopted within the month after having no interest for the previous 6 months. IMO, it perfectly targets local dog lovers and shows point blank that this dog has no dog or people aggression.

Unfortunately, while Luna is NOT dog aggressive, she is way too easily overstimulated to be suitable for a dog play group at this point in time. Also, the main dog daycares where the general public would see the dogs playing are at PetSmart which does not allow bully breeds. Now that she's made enough progress to go to a petstore though, we will be attending the rescue's adoption events

I love this vest http://www.houndgear.net/VestProductPage.html but making a vest yourself would be cheaper, depending on your skill level. ;)

No, I was thinking though of switching one of her photos for one with her and Chester to show that she's happy to cuddle with another dog

How about contacting the local newspapers? Ask if they would consider running an article on her?
We might be able to get something in one of the alternative papers, the regular local paper is something of a hack job. Worth looking into though, thanks.

GOOD LUCK LOVELY LUNA!!
We got in a whole bunch of bright colored "Adopt me!" shirts at work. Let me see tomorrow how much they are and if I can't snag one for her.
That would be great, she's a skinny 40 lbs. Couldn't find anything locally and what I tried to make wasn't easy enough to read

Are there any breed-specific rescues in your state you could contact? I'm sure they'd put a courtesy post on their website if they have one.
She is actually being fostered through the rescue group Saving Sunny, Inc which is a rescue dedicated to abused, neglected and victimized dogs with a bully breed focus. So she is on their website and on their FB page. Great idea in general for people with fosters that aren't with a rescue group or someone needing to rehome a dog responsibly.
Spring is coming - are there any pet fairs in your area? There are a ton here, and I'm usually there for disc competitions. I see dogs walking around there with "adopt me" vests. Also try the farmer's market, if you have one.
Our pet fairs are more later into the summer. there is a Pitty Fairness in (I think) July and a Bark in the Park in September. As much as I love Luna, I don't want her here in September! We do have several busy farmers markets, not sure which of them allow dogs. Will look into that. Also hoping that with a little more socializing and an Adopt Me shirt or vest, we can start hitting places like Bass Pro shops and other dogs allowed shopping centers

·
Registered
915 Posts
Ah darn! Well I know she's already on a small part of the internet, but I figured more was better than less. I don't know if Luna could handle this level of stimulation, but could you arrange a school visit? If nothing else it would be a good opportunity for socializing and showing kids that Pits aren't scary by default. Aka be an ambassador for her breed. :)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
See if a local kennel club would let you take a class for free or a reduced fee. Taking a class gets her out there with a bunch of dog lovers who can either fall in love or point you in the direction of someone who is looking.

I have had bully breed fosters for 7 or 8 months. They are so slow to adopt. There are so many amazing ones out there looking for homes. Teach really stupid tricks. Tricks always seem to help.

·
Registered
514 Posts
dogbooties.com has adopt me vests that I think are pretty cheap (5.50/8/12.60). I can't speak to their quality, but I've always been happy with their booties. The cost of shipping might not make it worth it though unless you buy other stuff too. I can't remember what it is exactly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Huh, that's interesting. I hadn't heard that before. I wonder how it works?

The article idea is really good (especially with all the amazing progress she's made! I've been lurking) and the daycare idea.
The suggestion of having people on her petfinder page is something I actually saw in a presentation made for shelters to help them increase their pit / mixes adoption rates. I wish I could find the link for you. I'll try looking again.

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
We've done a few things as suggested that I hope will pay off-
I sent a photo of her and Chester being cuddly for the tech girl to update the petfinder page with and took a 2 minute video of her obeying some basic commands and wagging her tail like crazy. Just showing a cute, eager and reasonably obedient dog :)

I made an "adopt me" item... I took a child's play apron from the dollar store in bright orange and wrote block letters of 'Adopt Me" on the lower part of it. With the neck tied around her neck, and the waist around her chest, the "Adopt Me" part lays across her back and is fairly visible to people we walk past. tried it out at a busy park today, did get one person asking about it but not in the context of being interested in adopting her, more just supportive in general.

Luna isn't quite up to school visits or anything that stimulating although I am sure she'd love it :)
We are finishing her intermediate obedience this week which total 14 weeks of obedience training... it has helped a massive amount and at least many of the other people there are willing to pass on the word or post a flyer of her.

(Little orange "skirt" slightly visible; trip to the parks today)

·
Registered
203 Posts
What a clever idea with the apron! I might steal that idea and donate a couple for the dogs who get to go hiking. The bandanas suck. I might be able to replace the apron strings with Velcro strips. Thanks!

Now that you mention it, posting video on petfinder was another suggestion in the video I mentioned earlier. They also suggeted teaching the dog a parlor trick. I hope Luna finds a home soon!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You could put up posters in pet stores? Are you with a fostering group? Up in Rochester there are a lot of foster groups...(Pitty Love Rescue, Big Dogs Big hearts, blue Moon Meadows). The groups arrange "meet and greets" at local big box pet stores such as pet smart and petco. Also a pit bull might be a hard sell as peoples fears with them. I am not a big fan of them and my neighbor said she would not want her kids around my house if I did. They also top the charts for human moralities from dog attacks. Lastly you might have an up hill battle. For some reason or another, a lot of the foster agencies in my area (Rochester, NY) get dogs from high kill shelters in Kentucky and some other states, but mainly Kentucky. So it might be more difficult to have someone adopt a dog with a bad rep in an area that has a surplus of dogs.

In any case what you are doing is great, I think the best way to get a dog for someone new to owning a dog is to go with a fostered dog. I just got a dog last week, I spent two years researching dogs, breeds, behavior, and adopting vs. breeder; I decided the best way for me to go is with a foster. As a new dog owner I was looking at the following (might be a good way to sell your dog):

Reasons I adopted from foster:
Cheap - $300 = donation for a dog that has all his shots, alteration, and microchip (altering a dog [spay/neuter] costs $400-$500 from my vet alone).
Dog Back Ground Check: The fosters have known him for at least 3 weeks and can pretty much tell me his pros and cons, etc. I know what dog I am getting personality wise. You really can't tell much about a dog from a short personality check at a shelter. My dog was about to be killed by the shelter and fostering only displays the holes in the shelter's methods.

Good luck and I hope Luna finds a home soon!

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What a clever idea with the apron! I might steal that idea and donate a couple for the dogs who get to go hiking. The bandanas suck. I might be able to replace the apron strings with Velcro strips. Thanks!

Now that you mention it, posting video on petfinder was another suggestion in the video I mentioned earlier. They also suggeted teaching the dog a parlor trick. I hope Luna finds a home soon!
I'll try to grab a better photo of the apron; it worked great as far as staying putting/staying visible. Much better than the bandannas and doesn't interfere with a collar OR a harness.

You could put up posters in pet stores? Are you with a fostering group? Up in Rochester there are a lot of foster groups...(Pitty Love Rescue, Big Dogs Big hearts, blue Moon Meadows). The groups arrange "meet and greets" at local big box pet stores such as pet smart and petco. Also a pit bull might be a hard sell as peoples fears with them. I am not a big fan of them and my neighbor said she would not want her kids around my house if I did. They also top the charts for human moralities from dog attacks. Lastly you might have an up hill battle.
I appreciate the suggestions, she is fostered though a rescue group and I have been putting up flyers in pet stores etc. Our rescue charges only $150 and that's pretty much a steal for a dog with all their shots, S/N, microchip, and in Luna's case, 2 obedience classes.

I do suggest though that you do a little more reading on pit bulls before judging them. The bite statistics are notoriously suspect. I have seen several dogs come into the city's animal control after a bite incident labeled as "pit bulls" who are very obviously not an APBT or Staffy even. One looked strongly of shepherd and another very much a Boxer for example.
If you get the chance to really meet a happy, social Pit Bull, you will likely find they are very loving and people-oriented dogs with a good sense of humor. Several people I know were scared of pits until they met Luna and she pretty much won them over. Our rescue does monthly "pit bull and friends" walks where 30 or 40 dogs and their owners all get together for a good walk around a park and the major shopping/social street here in town and show off the breed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts