Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

What type of water do you give your pooch?

• Spring

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Purified (Reverse Osmosis, Micron Filtered and UV Light)

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Distilled

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Tap

Votes: 29 78.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the dog food forum, but what about the kind of water we give our dogs. Does it really matter? Spring, Purified, Distilled, Tap....? What are your thoughts, and what kind of water do you give your dog?

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i drink the tap water myself :eek: so i figure it is ok to give my pets too. i have a water dish that has a pump and filters the water and circulates it all the time so i think that they like that better than a dish of water, although i have 2 dishes of water and the circulating one so they get to chose where they would like to drink (the dog and the 2 cats)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I'm in Florida, and there is no way I would drink tap or give it to my dogs- the water here smells horribly of sulfur. So I use purfied water.
But, up north, my pets and I used to drink the tap water with no issues.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Purified or tap just depends on how big of a hurry she is in to get water. If I'm just filling the bowl as I walk by it's usually purified through our faucet filter. If for some reason I've restricted her water (after play/strenuous exercise) and she is in a big hurry, tap, because the filter is so slow.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have well with a whole house filter. It tastes great!!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I voted distilled.....the reason is our 14 year old cat has been on distilled for stones, so they drink out of the same bowl....but I use tap in his water buddie when we go to the club or away.....just around the cat he has the distilled.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
We have a filter on the kitchen sink faucet. That's what my family and I drink, we fill up a jug of the water through that filter then refrigerate it so it's cold. Lately I've kept two water bottles, and keep them filled with water as well, one for me and one for Donatello. : P

As long as the water is safe for us to drink, I'm sure it's safe for dogs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent posts! I didn't think I would get such a big response to this thread. :) I give my dog tap, I have done a few water tests and it's pretty decent.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Tap. I can't even afford special water for myself, let alone my multiple pets.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I saw a show on tv a few weeks ago that did tests of tap water versus the top 10 or so brands of bottled water. It was a scientific show and really informative. The purpose of the tests was to determine the better quality water and the better tasting water people preferred.

The results had public tap water winning in both areas.

They showed how their research had proven the tap water to be better for you and it was really convincing stuff. They did explain, however, that this wasn't to say that these popular bottled waters were bad for you but just that they generally are not a better quality water despite what they claim.

The taste tests were done using unlabeled samples of water from the tap and the bottled brands all in the same nondescript little cups administered to a large sample group. The results even astonished the people themselves as they learened their favorite tasting water of the test was more often than not the public tap water.

I just wanted to share this with everyone in case you were interested. I don't mind drinking tap water myself and I even do quite often. I will admit, however, I buy Wal-Mart's "Sam's Choice" bottled water because it's insanely cheap and convenient to take with me in the car and such. I will sometimes give my dog the bottled water if I have an open bottle in my fridge but if not I give her tap water. It works out to about 50/50 so she gets a great deal of both. When I lived with my parents, our dogs always got spring water from their water machine.

Oh and by the way, they said the public tap water they used in the tests was more or less identical to every other public tap water they compared it to so it's not like they used the highest-rated tap water in the country or anything. I'm sure some more rural areas of the country certainly have inferior tap water but this study was just to show that most areas of the country have very high quality tap water.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts