Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to walk my two dogs several miles each morning. Now that hot weather is here, I definitely need a way to provide water for them during the walk. I already am carrying a bunch of stuff myself so I am trying to find a way to let them each carry their own water.

A backpack (saddlebags) is an option, but balancing the load, means each would have to carry two water bottles or one of them would have to carry water for both (not fair).

I have seen an orange safety vest from "Zack & Zoey" that has a detachable water bottle carrier. It looks like the bottle would be held in the middle of the back. The carrier attaches at the front of the vest with two clips; I can't tell if there is any attachment at the rear (without one, it might swing back and forth as they walk).

I have looked online for reviews of the safety vest, but can find none. If anyone here has actually used one, I would appreciate hearing your experiences. Does the dog find it comfortable? Anyone have any other suggestions?

They are not large dogs (30-35 lbs) so I don't want to overload them. They love their walks, and I don't want to spoil that.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I user the 2 qt. military desert canteens. Light colored to reflect heat, and they attach to a pistol belt. If you go near a stream, you can soak the fabric cover and evaporation will cool the contents. You can get suspenders that will distribute the load across your hips and shoulders. You can carry a lot of water, 1st aid kit, flashlights, emergency blankets, rain gear, and what-have-you. You're good to go for a day hike just about anywhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been hiking the Appalachian Trail off and on for the past couple of years. I always run into people hiking with their dogs. Without fail they always have their dogs carrying their own water. They have these special vests, like you mention, which can carry water among other supplies. I would check hiking and outdoor company websites like REI. I also came across Wolfpacks.com, it looks like they specialize in what you are describing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
A backpack (saddlebags) is an option, but balancing the load, means each would have to carry two water bottles or one of them would have to carry water for both (not fair).
If you're concerned about the total weight of this option, you could just use two half-full bottles per dog.

Since Hershey's just a little tyke, we share a water bottle (that I carry) with a sippy top for me and a collapsible water dish for her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts