Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one year old Chow is a very sweet smart dog and not at all aggressive. He does bark at strangers and reacts pretty much the way one would expect to a stranger. When anyone pulls into our driveway he runs up to the fence next to the side of our house where the driveway is and barks...which is good. In the past, whether it was me, my wife, or anybody for that matter, after watching the car pull up, he would wait until the person got out of their car and then when they head towards the front door, which takes them out of his sight, he would high tail it into the house through the dog door and greet us or them at the front door. Lately when the stranger gets out of their car and comes up to the front door he stops barking and just sits down outside. Sometimes he doesn't bother to greet me inside the front door either anymore. Again he is not an aggressive Chow, nor do I want him to be, but at least he should feel protective of our house! Not sure how to retrain him...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
If you just want his 'presence' at the front door, try feeding him a treat at the front door each time someone enters there. That should help to re-motivate him back to his former ways. You may have to call him through from outside at first but he'll catch on quickly and soon no calling will be required. I'd also train a mat behavior to go along with it, so that when he sees someone approach or hears a car door slam, for example, he immediately goes to sit on the mat near the door, gets his cookie from the person entering, then gets released. Probably won't do much to deter actual burglars if and when that time comes, but you did say you're satisfied with having a non-aggressive dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This new behavior seems to coincide with a vacation we took recently. We went on a 2 week vacation and the Chow and our Maltese were left alone a bunch, although I had family visit at least once a day for an hour or so. We noticed he was doing this after we got back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts