Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:clap2:Hello friends,

I hope you and your dog (s) are all doing well!

If you have a high energy dog that needs a little extra attention and reinforcement then consider a Martingale Collar. Or, if you are using a chain choker collar or a prong collar, and you want an alternative then take a look at how a Martingale collar is an extremely effective replacement.

You can go to our Home page for "The Ultimate Leash" and see how a dog is quickly calmed down by using a Martingale Collar. The video also shows how to size a Martingale Collar for the dog and the proper placement on the dog's neck. You will also see instruction on how to use it when walking your dog.

Also check us out on FaceBook and "Like" us to stay connected with update information.

Check out all of our products at: www.theultimateleash.com

Blessings,

Bill

Hey Folks,

There have been a couple threads about the Martingale Collar video. I responded to each. AS an experienced Police K-9 Handler and Trainer with 30 years experience in Police K-9 and Civilian Dog training, the Martingale Collar is a fantastic training method that is growing in popularity. Martingale collars are an extremely effective training tool. You as the dog owner has to decide which training method is best for you and your dog. We stand behind our products which by the way, are made by us in the USA. Veterinarian approved as well as thousands sold all over the world. 40% of our business is return customers.

check us out at www.theultimateleash to see our complete product line. We also have testimonials on how effective our products are.

Blessings,
Bill

Bill, Pres.
Best Friend Marketing LLC
www.theultimateleash.com

Hi again folks,

Hope your season with your dog(s) are going well.

As you scroll down, you will see that there are a couple deletions. Yes, I took control of my Forum. You see, there were some people that made very uninformed comments that were not accurate as well as one person adding their website to my forum. Is that fair? I think not. Please do not feel that comments are not welcome. Commnets are welcome but please be responsible and expalin the truth and not spread unnecessary information. We are a small family owned business and do not appreciate inacurate information. Be careful of "Political Correctness" creeping into Dog training. Yes it is everywhere. Those that use some methods of traing are well meaning people but not very informed. Some people think they are experienced but really are not. Always consider the source when reading comments. Are they involved in dog training or dog coddeling? We are involved in dog training, case closed!

Thanks and go to www.theultimateleash.com to see our products.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Honestly, I'd be more impressed if there wasn't so much collar popping going on. I love the look of your collars, and might buy one, but I'm not wild about the message that video sends. Even though you are a supporting vendor, I hope it's okay to voice an opinion on the training method used in the video you posted.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I think I agree with Pawzk9... Really unnecessary. Poor Cooper's front feet definitely leave the ground at least once... I would be interested in a martingale though but I have my eyes set on one from a different company ^^;

·
Registered
693 Posts
Honestly, I'd be more impressed if there wasn't so much collar popping going on. I love the look of your collars, and might buy one, but I'm not wild about the message that video sends. Even though you are a supporting vendor, I hope it's okay to voice an opinion on the training method used in the video you posted.
I think I agree with Pawzk9... Really unnecessary. Poor Cooper's front feet definitely leave the ground at least once... I would be interested in a martingale though but I have my eyes set on one from a different company ^^;
I agree with you both.

·
Supporting Vendor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well let's talk about training experience and what your background in dog training is. Let me explain who I am. I am a retired Police K-9 handler and trainer with 30 years experience in Police and civilian dog training. I specialize in problem solving.

What is your alternative method of training to immediatelly stop a 96 pound dog from pulling the owner all over the place? I would suggest that when you make a comment, the proper way to approach this is to explain your experience and a way that you feel will stop the dog from pulling "immediatelly". If you can read a dogs body language, you will notice that the Coopers spirt is not broken. Cooper will be a happier pet and the owner now has his dog under control. In case you are not aware, the dog's neck is extremely strong and nothing that happened to Cooper did anything to hurt him. The Martingale collar is recommended by many veterinarians, dog trainers, and thousands of dog owners who own our products. 40% of our sales are from return customers.

I challenge you to give me an answer to stop a 96 pound dog from pulling in a better and more humane manner. Unfortunately, too many dog owners do not have control of their pets and the alternative is to put them in a shelter. Then what?

So Pawzk9 I would appreciate knowing what your training and handeling experience is.

Are you saying that you would rather have a dog pulling it's owner around during a long putting unnecessary pressure on the neck. A couple slight checks with the leash was all that was needed to correct a bad situation.

·
Supporting Vendor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kayota,

Not much else to comment on except I would suggest that you read the response to Pawzk9.

I would suggest to you that you look at the video again and see that Cooper was not pulled off his feet, but jumped at the point of the turn. This is called "reading a dogs body movement". If you make a comment please make sure it is correct and not damaging to a supporting vendor which yours is.

Again, I would like to know your training experience and total experience with dogs.

If you can find a better collar and find better testimonials then buy it.

·
Supporting Vendor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well let's talk about training experience and what your background in dog training is. Let me explain who I am. I am a retired Police K-9 handler and trainer with 30 years experience in Police and civilian dog training. I specialize in problem solving.

What is your alternative method of training to immediatelly stop a 96 pound dog from pulling the owner all over the place? I would suggest that when you make a comment, the proper way to approach this is to explain your experience and a way that you feel will stop the dog from pulling "immediatelly". If you can read a dogs body language, you will notice that the Coopers spirt is not broken. Cooper will be a happier pet and the owner now has his dog under control. In case you are not aware, the dog's neck is extremely strong and nothing that happened to Cooper did anything to hurt him. The Martingale collar is recommended by many veterinarians, dog trainers, and thousands of dog owners who own our products. 40% of our sales are from return customers.

I challenge you to give me an answer to stop a 96 pound dog from pulling in a better and more humane manner. Unfortunately, too many dog owners do not have control of their pets and the alternative is to put them in a shelter. Then what?

So Pawzk9 I would appreciate knowing what your training and handeling experience is.

Are you saying that you would rather have a dog pulling it's owner around during a long putting unnecessary pressure on the neck. A couple slight checks with the leash was all that was needed to correct a bad situation.

·
Supporting Vendor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kayota,

Not much else to comment on except I would suggest that you read the response to Pawzk9.

I would suggest to you that you look at the video again and see that Cooper was not pulled off his feet, but jumped at the point of the turn. This is called "reading a dogs body movement". If you make a comment please make sure it is correct and not damaging to a supporting vendor which yours is.

Again, I would like to know your training experience and total experience with dogs.

If you can find a better collar and find better testimonials then buy it.

·
Supporting Vendor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:clap2:Hello friends,

I hope you and your dog (s) are all doing well!

You can go to our facebook page "The Ultimate Leash" and see how a dog is quickly calmed down by using a Martingale Collar. The video also shows how to size a Martingale Collar for the dog and the proper placement on the dog's neck. You will also see instruction on how to use it when walking your dog.

"Like" us while you check it out.

Blessings,

Bill, Pres.
Best Friend Marketing LLC
www.theultimateleash.com
Hey Folks,
There have been a couple threads about the Martingale Collar video. I responded to each. AS an experienced Police K-9 Handler and Trainer with 30 years experience in Police K-9 and Civilian Dog training, the Martingale Collar is a fantastic training method that is growing in popularity. Martingale collars are extremely effective but not for everyone or every dog. The owner has to decide which training method is best for you and your dog. We stand behind our products which by the way are made by us in the USA. Veterinarian approved as well as thousands sold all over the world. 40% of our business is return customers.

Blessings,
Bill

·
Supporting Vendor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Folks,
There have been a couple threads about the Martingale Collar video. I responded to each. AS an experienced Police K-9 Handler and Trainer with 30 years experience in Police K-9 and Civilian Dog training, the Martingale Collar is a fantastic training method that is growing in popularity. Martingale collars are extremely effective but not for everyone or every dog. The owner has to decide which training method is best for you and your dog. We stand behind our products which by the way are made by us in the USA. Veterinarian approved as well as thousands sold all over the world. 40% of our business is return customers.

Blessings,
Bill

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Well I can't say I have ever been a police k9 trainer, but I know I can teach a dog not to pull with much gentler methods... it doesn't have to be immediate. Also this kind of collar popping isn't what a martingale is usually used for... They are often used for sighthounds to prevent the collar from slipping up over the dog's head. But that aside, this kind of quick fix gets your dog nowhere... Without comstant jerking the dog will be right back where he started. When I get a chance I will show you the progress I have made on llw with my dog in less than a week, using nothing but verbal commands and positive reinforcement. She isn't perfect... But neither is Cooper here.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Oh, no problem at all. 32 years of teaching people and dogs. CPDT-KA certified. Mentor trainer for a national dog behavior college. Consultant to several rescues, rescue worker, shelter trainer, regular contributer to a national publication on Dog Obedience. Three times training director of local Obedience club, now have my own facility. Have participated in Obedience (to the OTCH level. multiple national rankings, 2 National Specialty High in Trial) Rally (to the Rally Excellent level) Herding (to the open level) Conformation (to CH) Freestyle, Agility, Tracking, Schutzhund, Therapy dogs, ASCA obedience judge (all levels) currently apprenticing to judge Freestyle. I'm sure there's some stuff I'm leaving out. I also work with a number of problem dogs. My preference would be to teach the dog (through positive reinforcement/a little negative punishment) to give to any pressure on the leash and keep it loose. Also that next to me is the best place to be.
Granted, it doesn't happen in five minutes or less. But I tend not to be a big believer in quick fixes. If you depend on equipment to control your dog, eventually, if you don't also train, the dog will find its way around it. Far better to teach the dog how to be responsible for the behavior you want.
I like martingales (and you have some nice looking ones) as it is harder for a dog to pull out of one than a flat collar. But, I prefer that they be passive management and train the dog in more instructive ways.

·
Supporting Vendor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, no problem at all. 32 years of teaching people and dogs. CPDT-KA certified. Mentor trainer for a national dog behavior college. Consultant to several rescues, rescue worker, shelter trainer, regular contributer to a national publication on Dog Obedience. Three times training director of local Obedience club, now have my own facility. Have participated in Obedience (to the OTCH level. multiple national rankings, 2 National Specialty High in Trial) Rally (to the Rally Excellent level) Herding (to the open level) Conformation (to CH) Freestyle, Tracking, Schutzhund, Therapy dogs, ASCA obedience judge (all levels) currently apprenticing to judge Freestyle. I'm sure there's some stuff I'm leaving out. I also work with a number of problem dogs. My preference would be to teach the dog (through positive reinforcement/a little negative punishment) to give to any pressure on the leash and keep it loose. Also that next to me is the best place to be.
Granted, it doesn't happen in five minutes or less. But I tend not to be a big believer in quick fixes. If you depend on equipment to control your dog, eventually, if you don't also train, the dog will find its way around it. Far better to teach the dog how to be responsible for the behavior you want.
I like martingales (and you have some nice looking ones) as it is harder for a dog to pull out of one than a flat collar. But, I prefer that they be passive management and train the dog in more instructive ways.
Interesting that you mentioned Schutzhund. If I recall, they either use chain chokers or pinch collars. If you paid attention to the first sentence of the video, I mentioned that the martingale collar is an alternative to the chain choker.

It's OK to agree to disagree. If you put 10 dog trainers in a room and ask a question you will likely get 10 different answers. Everyone has a different method of training. When we market our products at dog shows, I assume that you feel that the handlers and judges that buy our martingale collars are wrong in doing so.

Thanks for bringing the discussion to DogForums. We received a bunch of orders from driving people to our website.

Blessings,

Bill

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Interesting that you mentioned Schutzhund. If I recall, they either use chain chokers or pinch collars. If you paid attention to the first sentence of the video, I mentioned that the martingale collar is an alternative to the chain choker.

It's OK to agree to disagree. If you put 10 dog trainers in a room and ask a question you will likely get 10 different answers. Everyone has a different method of training. When we market our products at dog shows, I assume that you feel that the handlers and judges that buy our martingale collars are wrong in doing so.

Thanks for bringing the discussion to DogForums. We received a bunch of orders from driving people to our website.

Blessings,

Bill
Well, I'm glad it brought you some business. I was considering buying one before I watched the video and read your replies. Particularly after seeing the replies, I'd hesitate. But that is me. Not my job to be the shopping police. People can buy whatever they want to buy. They look like nice well-made collars and if I just saw them at a vendor's booth (and didn't watch you demonstrate) I might buy 3 or 4. Thing is, the main reason I posted was because I thought the video, and the method it recommends is going to turn off a whole segment of potential customers. I thought the feedback might be helpful. And you could have taken it that way, or you could have decided to get defensive (which you did). With 30 plus years of training, it's pretty much of a no-brainer that I started with traditional yank and thank techniques. There wasn't much out there in the way of other methods back then. And during that time, I did schutzhund. If I wanted to (and had the right dog - current household is senior dogs and one slightly younger dog who is a gimp) I could certainly do schutzhund without using a prong or choke (it's still rare, but has been done)

As far as the whole 30 year thing - I think there are probably people who have been training for under 10 years who are more skilled trainers than I am. Those people who landed squarely in the middle of the positive reinforcement methods didn't have to unlearn some of the habits or lose some of the misconceptions I did. I've evolved a lot in 30 years. I'm not perfect yet, but I am a fair hand at getting results. I still have to question myself when my answers may fall in the realm of coercion sometimes and look for ways to teach the dog what I want instead of simply controlling the dog. On the other hand, a person can repeat the same thing for 30 years, and they then have 30 years worth of experience at practicing methods which are at least 20 years out of date.

·
Supporting Vendor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I'm glad it brought you some business. I was considering buying one before I watched the video and read your replies. Particularly after seeing the replies, I'd hesitate. But that is me. Not my job to be the shopping police. People can buy whatever they want to buy. They look like nice well-made collars and if I just saw them at a vendor's booth (and didn't watch you demonstrate) I might buy 3 or 4. Thing is, the main reason I posted was because I thought the video, and the method it recommends is going to turn off a whole segment of potential customers. I thought the feedback might be helpful. And you could have taken it that way, or you could have decided to get defensive (which you did). With 30 plus years of training, it's pretty much of a no-brainer that I started with traditional yank and thank techniques. There wasn't much out there in the way of other methods back then. And during that time, I did schutzhund. If I wanted to (and had the right dog - current household is senior dogs and one slightly younger dog who is a gimp) I could certainly do schutzhund without using a prong or choke (it's still rare, but has been done)

As far as the whole 30 year thing - I think there are probably people who have been training for under 10 years who are more skilled trainers than I am. Those people who landed squarely in the middle of the positive reinforcement methods didn't have to unlearn some of the habits or lose some of the misconceptions I did. I've evolved a lot in 30 years. I'm not perfect yet, but I am a fair hand at getting results. I still have to question myself when my answers may fall in the realm of coercion sometimes and look for ways to teach the dog what I want instead of simply controlling the dog. On the other hand, a person can repeat the same thing for 30 years, and they then have 30 years worth of experience at practicing methods which are at least 20 years out of date.
Hi again,

Thanks for your comments. As I mentioned previously, Martingale Collars are not for every dog owner or dog. I have a training method that has worked for me just as you have a training method that works for you. I'm always willing to learn something that make me a better trainer. I wrote about much of this in my recently published book "WOOF, We've got something to tell you" Real lessons from real dogs. www.theultimateleash.com
Hope you and your dog (s) have a great life together.

Blessings,
Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have several of their collars and love them. I have been doing dog rescue (medium or extra large) for years and find this a great tool. I have some training background and have learned many different techniques from different trainer/behaviorists. All the dogs I get are untrained. I find this collar get their attention without hurting them. They response and are much happier following my lead. It doesn't take long before the dog understands and walks with you. I see so many people with their dogs pulling them down the street with a choke collar and it breaks my heart. A trained dog gets to go more places and do more things with you.

·
Supporting Vendor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have several of their collars and love them. I have been doing dog rescue (medium or extra large) for years and find this a great tool. I have some training background and have learned many different techniques from different trainer/behaviorists. All the dogs I get are untrained. I find this collar get their attention without hurting them. They response and are much happier following my lead. It doesn't take long before the dog understands and walks with you. I see so many people with their dogs pulling them down the street with a choke collar and it breaks my heart. A trained dog gets to go more places and do more things with you.
Thanks for your kind words. Obviously you are well aware of the benefits of Martingale Collars. Unfortunatelly many people are misinformed and uneducated in the proper use of an alternative to the chain choker or pinch collar. Political correctness has crept into dog training over the years. We still stand by our products and know from experience and the volumn of our sales, that Martingale Collars are a tried, tested, extremely safe and proven method of training. Of'course there are all sorts of opinion out there. I have spoken to some dog professionals that have discontinued their association with animal forums because of the weird thinking of many of the people making comments. Thanks again!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.