Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a small 1/2 Jack Russell, 1/2 Chihuahua with very short, brown hair. I give him a bath about once a week, even though he doesn't smell or have fleas. I just figure it's good to keep him clean.

My neighbor told me that it might be too much, and that the soap can harm his skin. Any truth to that? Any suggestion? He said once a month should be fine.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
yeah that could be too much, my dog gets washed once a month at the groomers and gets her hair cut, unless she gets into mud or something inbetween that.

It can dry out their skin if done to often with a bad shampoo.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I'm a dog groomer, so I have tried many, many shampoos on my dogs, and I am here to say that baths being 'bad' for a dog (even if 'often') are a myth; unless you're using a shampoo that was not designed for dogs in mind...such as the infamous Baby shampoo (for humans); even though gentle for humans, this is not designed for dogs, who have even more 'sensitive' skin to chemicals, than our children do...and their ph balance requirements are different.

There are shampoos that are formulated for daily use for dogs, now a days...so once a week should not be a problem, if you are using a high quality shampoo. I love Therapet shampoos; they are designed for 'frequent' use, are hypoallergenic, and tearless...and they smell fantastic.

Many of the shampoos now a days are also designed with better ph balance, and do not strip the coat of necessary oils as well, so bathing a dog once a week, or as necessary should not be a 'fear' at all...I enjoy a good clean smelling dog!!

I've also heard good reviews for Earthbath's line of shampoos, though I have not tried any for myself yet.

I have allergies, as does my hubby, to our pets...so keeping them clean, helps keep us 'sane'; I also keep my pets clean, because I have other allergies, besides to them, and they can carry different allergens in from outdoors, or find them in some of the places I can't dust, but they can hide...Lol!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I am a professional groomer too, and I agree 100% with Sophie. Very well written. :)

Show dogs are bathed weekly, if not twice weekly sometimes. And look at how gorgeous their skin and coats are. If you are using a good pet shampoo, made for frequent use, you will not have any problems caused by bathing often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much. I'm going to keep washing him once a week, but from another post I got a suggestion of Blue Aloe Shampoo from 1800petmeds.com and they had a code "RADIO" that will save me 10%. They also suggested Earthbath, but they don't have it on that site.

Anyone ever used 1800petmeds? Seems like a good deal.

The others basically said the same thing, and that washing, if done right with a good shampoo won't hurt at all.

Thanks so much for the info guys.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts