Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noel was a rescue. She was living on the streets, apparently, until she showed up in our front yard.:)

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
I'd call that a stray, though there's no arguing that you rescued Noel.

One the best dogs I've ever had found me on the streets in Santa Barbara where she had been living, apparently for some time. She knew to avoid uniforms and how to steal tortillas from the delivery trucks at the Mexican restaurant across the street. Then she knew how to spot a real dog-lover and how to make her bedraggled, nine-year-old self look irresistable.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Both of my dogs, and cat, are rescues. It's always interesting to think about what life was like before I found them.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Oliver was a rescue. He was brought in to the shelter to be put to sleep (ordered by the Animal Control) His owner had kicked him around and broke his jaw and fractured his leg. The lovely owner didn't see fit to spending any money to fix the jaw and leg so let the dog live in agony until the animal control found out. Anyway, that is how I came about having Oliver. He was supposed to be a foster as I already had 3 other dogs at the time. The shelter got a new director around that time and changed the adoption policy to adopt to anyone that comes through the door regardless of their record. I decided to make Oliver a permanent resident to keep him from having another bad situation. Here he is with his Hollywood smile. His jaw didn't heal perfectly but I love him as he is.

All of my dogs have been rescue other then Carsten. They all have sad stories that ended happier. We do what we can for those that we can.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My Basset Hound "Betsy" was rescued. Her previous owners dropped her off on the side of the road by the farm where my husband works. She still had her tags and we were able to get in touch with her previous owners. They lived 20 miles away but tried to say that she ran away. They said they would come get her and take her to the pound if we wanted them to. (??? makes no sense to me) We found out she was 8 years old. She is the sweetest most laid back dog I've ever had. She loves to be loved. She is house broken and well behaved. Why anyone would drop this sweet baby off on the side of the road is beyond me. We are going to make sure that her last years are her best years!

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes. My fiance and I adopted our pit bull mix from the local Humane Society. She's the best dog we ever had. When we have a house, we intend to rescue a pit bull from the MO pit bull rescue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Boots (in the picture) was pup of a dog that I found who was tied to a telephone pole by a fish hook through the nose and fish line. I took her to the vet immediately as she was obviously pregnant. The pups had to be csectioned. I ended up keeping Boots (two of his brothers have since passed) and found homes for mom and four pups.

Daphney was a rehome situation but to see her, one would think she could be called a rescue because she was emaciated. 4 months old, copraphagic, emaciated at 17 pounds. Newsflash...a cup a day is not enough for a Great Dane puppy!!

Swamper and Howie were pulled from the shelter a day before they were to be put down. So they were definitely rescued.

Mia is an Olde English Bulldogge who's owner was going to have her put down. We ended up taking her in. Annie is an Olde English Bulldogge as well and in a bad situation, so we took her in as well.

But, all in all, I think they have rescued me as well. When Jasper, Buddy, Cody and Barney passed...each one of the dogs that I have in my life came at a time when I needed them the most.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yes... my late english bulldog was a rescue, my AB was a puppymill rescue, and my english bulldog mix is from the same rescue I got the first eb from. Now I foster french bulldogs.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Can someone tell me what is considered a "rescue"?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Well, I guess Rescue is one of those words that can mean several things...Personally I think any dog/cat or other that came from a shelter/breed specific rescue operation, was captured as a stray off the street or who a person "offered to take" from an abusive or neglecting owner would be a rescue. I would not consider a dog or puppy purchased from a breeder or pet store to be a rescue..even if the owner "thinks" they are 'rescuing' said pup from a life in a cage.

Cracker (and her littermate) was seized in a police raid of a crackhouse, spent 30 days 'on hold' at the THS (considered "seized property", so some legal red tape had to be dealt with). So yes, I consider her a rescue. She is one of the best things that ever happened to me..I am pretty sure she thinks the same way...lol.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Every dog I've had since the mid 70's has been a rescue.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Cupid is a rescue. I got him at my local humane society. I do wonder about his life before me since he can be fearful and reactive. But he's a beautiful, loving boy. My life would be poorer without him.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I guess Dohggy's a rescue. I found him when he was about 6 months old. In the middle of the road in the middle of no where, skinny, covered in fleas and had a collar on with no tags that was too tight for him.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Bridgette was a rescue from the Humane Society. She was brought in as a very skinny stray.

My female cat Luna was also from the humane society and she'd been there for quite a while...wish is I'm sure why she is still a very skittish cat.

My male cat Ludo was a kitten in a box :( Someone left him at the vet clinic I work at and wrote "sick cat" on the top of it. We thought he was dead at first but he looked up and went "meeowww". I couldn't say no as we'd just lost my previous cat a few months before.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Alvin is a rescue. His original Beverly Hills family thought it was appropriate for him to be let out to roam the streets during the day, as long as he was fed at night. Their neighbors didn't like this and ended up taking Alvin in, even thought they didn't really have the time or inclination for a dog. They placed him with the rescue at which I found him. Somewhere along the way, he lost an eye. I don't know how this happened, but the vet hypothesizes (due to the damage to the skull around said eye) that Alvin was probably hit with something resembling a golf club.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's good that a lot of people get their dogs from rescue places like the Humane Society or the SPCA. I think that people should go there before they go to a breeder.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts