Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was totally my fault. Enzo is very protective of me, his treats, and his toys. He and a larger dog were getting along fine, until I pet the other dog. Enzo started barking and wouldn't stop, and as I was trying to put him on a leash to get him out, the other dog attacked him. He was fine physically and emotionally after a little bit (as was the other dog). We even ran into some other dogs on the walk back and he was friendly with them.

He enjoys the dog park, but with the possessiveness issue and getting overstimulated often, I really just shouldn't bring him there. Totally my fault.

But today we went for a walk and the first dog we ran into was aggressive toward him--looked like he was going to bite him, actually. Enzo started barking (not surprising at all). But as we walked down the street, he ran into other dogs and immediately started barking and lunging at them. I was trying "leave it," "watch," and turning in the other direction, but mostly to no avail.

So this is a new behavior. He wasn't trained at all when I got him (he's now 1 1/2), and we're really focusing on training. He's very stubborn and distractable, especially in busy environments (again, that's normal). But I'm doing my best to handle it in a positive manner. This behavior is, of course, totally unacceptable and dangerous. I understand why he's doing this, but we're kind of in a bad place here.

I'm going to keep him to side streets to minimize dog contact for the time being, but does anyone have any other tips? He was getting so good with other dogs and now it just feels ruined! :(

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Sorry that happened - must have been very frightening for both of you! Check out this thread about leash reactivity for great information about management and training. Two tips: practice management on every walk to avoid additional reactions and work with him in areas with fewer distractions until you can work up to greater distractions.

Odds are, he's not stubborn. He either doesn't know what you want or he's too aroused / distracted to process what you're asking or he's insufficiently motivated. If you can figure out why he's being "stubborn" you can make adjustments to your approach so that he can be successful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts