Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so Buddy was at the vet so she could check up on how his side was healing. There were lots of dogs there and most weren't in crates. I don't keep Buddy in a crate because he's very controlled when outside, although I do keep him on a leash whenever we go to the vet because the vet asks this of you. So anyway, I was reading a fundraising poster and Buddy was making friends with an old lady's labrador.

A man came in with his pitbull (with a muzzle) who was a little agitated but, upon seeing there were so many dogs, went to the counter to let the vet know he was here then went outside with his dog. I thought this was respectful of him, so I decided to call him when it was his turn.

Then this woman came in and she looked very sour, but I'm not one to judge. She had with her a pitbull (wearing a muzzle) who was growling and barking and it upset a few smaller dogs, who ran and jumped into their owner's laps. I pulled Buddy bag to me because although he's quite big he's still a pup and quite afraid of a lot of things. He used to cry when he saw other labradors, so I wasn't sure if he was quite ready to come face to face with a snarling dog.

So anyway, this woman pushes past everyone (and we all exchanged looks, it was that obvious) and then stood as there were no seats left. Her dog went for the older woman's labrador and she screamed. You might think it's nothing because he had a muzzle on but the poor pitbull's nails were so long and her little chocolate labrador was standing up for itself. Buddy hid behind him, bless him, but I pulled both of them back because they were both very agitated. The old woman thanked me, but not even moments after the sour woman pulled her dog away it went for Buddy, growling and lifting it's paws and charging like a bull! It wasn't a long lead she had on it and she could have pulled it back.

I was concerned about him opening Buddy's side with his nails and possibly infecting it, so I said, "Please, control your dog!" It wasn't ill-mannered or ill-tempered. I find people take you more seriously when you say it calmly, and I didn't say it out of spite. Buddy was shaking. But she didn't even flinch, she just snapped, "He has a muzzle on, so shut up." And then the woman beside me was like "He has nails, though" and the pitbull's owner muttered something about the muzzle. I said, "My dog is just a pup. Muzzle or no muzzle, he's scared because your dog lunged at him." And then she like exploded, trailing her dog after her and yelling, "Well I don't have a muzzle, how about I lunge at you?"

And I have to admit I laughed my hiney off, which was mean, but did this woman really think I was going to fight her like a schoolchild in the middle of a vet? She was asked to leave :wave:, and again everyone in the vet rolled their eyes and exchanged looks. I went for Buddy's checkup and asked someone to call in the man.

I don't like to offend people, but do you think I was out of line? This woman was not a nice person, and how she trained her dog I do not know. If I ever encounter her again in the vet (although I doubt I will, she'll probably be too embarassed to return) I'll be holding Buddy and staying away from her. Karma...

Or, as they say in Ireland, is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If that were me and my dog, I would have said a lot worse then you did! How you managed to stay calm I don't know, but by the sounds of it, you did the best thing you could have. It makes my blood boil just reading it. Sadly most of the time I am
The vet nurse behind the counter who has to deal with these people nicely. You had every right to act how you did! I think the saying money see monkey do can be applied in her case!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I don't think you were out of line, but I also think the staff should have intervened when she started giving you attitude. You shouldn't be put in that position at all, you're their client and guest - not their bouncer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies! I agree the receptionist should have said something earlier, but I don't think she realised what was going on, and I feel for people in vets and even doctors and nurses for people because they probably deal with lippy customers all the time. Sometimes people just take things for granted and it's a real pet peeve of mine when people have an attitude towards others who are only trying to help them. Bless the older woman with the chocolate labrador, she must have thanked me about a million times for pulling her dog back.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well what worries me is the fact you asked the above question. Not necessary.
I guess I just want to do right by everyone. I don't like telling people how to look after their dog because they have experience and if I was wrong to do it this time, I didn't want to do it again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't think you were out of line. (although I wouldn't have laughed) You were protecting your dog. The staff/receptionist should have been paying attention. I don't really care how busy the receptionist was. The priority should be safety.

I have a reactive dog, and I have to say I used to dread visits to the vet. However, my vet and her staff are terrific in how they manage reactive dogs and dogs with behavior problems. I imagine the sour looking lady was dreading the visit. I am hoping she learns how to manage her dog, and that the staff might help her a little.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I don't think you were out of line at all! Tank, is extremely leash reactive and I hate taking him to the vet. I can control my dog though. I also always try to get there on time, not to early and of course not late. If I am early I stay outside till my scheduled time. Then i go in and say Im here blah blah and then go sit in the corner where there are not many people and dogs. If I see a crazy, untrained dog coming in I walk to where they have the food and stuff and distract Tank.

Before Tank was well enough trained to be trusted in the same room with dogs I would have a vet Tech come outside, muzzle him and then we would walk him to the back room. I always kept him on the opposite side of everyone else and a few times even went through the exam rooms to get to the back to get him weighed. I would totally avoid contact with other dogs.

Was that not an option for her? Could she not go and wait somewhere else where no dogs were?

·
Registered
905 Posts
The clinic I work at has a very small waiting area. The receptionists are very good about keeping an extra eye out during busy times and asking those with aggressive dogs to wait outside (our outside area is very shaded and has many comfortable seating areas). Although most people with aggressive dogs will wait outside with them without being asked.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was that not an option for her? Could she not go and wait somewhere else where no dogs were?
This is what I was thinking myself! You seem to have your dog under great control and I respect that so much. Some people don't realise nobody but themselves are responsible for their dog.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The clinic I work at has a very small waiting area. The receptionists are very good about keeping an extra eye out during busy times and asking those with aggressive dogs to wait outside (our outside area is very shaded and has many comfortable seating areas). Although most people with aggressive dogs will wait outside with them without being asked.
I went to a clinic just like yours a while ago (it was a different branch of the first vet), top notch. You'd think there'd be trouble because the waiting area is so small but there wasn't and I was glad. I love how vets are now very accommodated, because when my best friend and I took her dog to the vet about 10 years ago it was horrible. I understand dogs can be aggressive and that's life, but it's the people like you mentioned who control their dogs that I respect. I would do the same if Buddy was aggressive.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think you were out of line. (although I wouldn't have laughed) You were protecting your dog. The staff/receptionist should have been paying attention. I don't really care how busy the receptionist was. The priority should be safety.

I have a reactive dog, and I have to say I used to dread visits to the vet. However, my vet and her staff are terrific in how they manage reactive dogs and dogs with behavior problems. I imagine the sour looking lady was dreading the visit. I am hoping she learns how to manage her dog, and that the staff might help her a little.
I hope so too! Dogs are instinctive animals so of course they can be reactive. This is life. Like I said, I just wish everyone could approach it responsibly like you did with your vet and her staff.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I guess I just want to do right by everyone. I don't like telling people how to look after their dog because they have experience and if I was wrong to do it this time, I didn't want to do it again.
There is no way you can do right for everyone (especially when idiots are involved) forget about it. You just continue do what's right to protect you and your dog.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is no way you can do right for everyone (especially when idiots are involved) forget about it. You just continue do what's right to protect you and your dog.
You're right, I couldn't forgive myself if Buddy got hurt because I was trying to be nice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wanted to add something. I feel like I jumped to conclusions when I mentioned behavior problems. The dog could have been sick or in pain.

I still think the vet's office/owner should have managed better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I had that in mind myself. The thing was she didn't have the poor puppy groomed, I felt sorry for him - his nails were literally huge and he didn't look happy. It's a pity not every vet is so quick to jump on to problems :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
I say good for you, we need more people to speak out to make it safe and comfortable for our pets.

I was at a dog fun show with Hitch a while back and someone had this huge muscular dog, not sure of the breed. It was trying to attack any dog near it. When we were in line near this dog, I was trying to make sure I was far enough away from it, it came lunging snarling with its teeth showing at Hitch. I yelled at the owner to keep control of his dog and leave if he cannot. I also told him that if his dog bites someone's that the dog that got bit will be hurt, and he may get sued. My poor Hitchy just kind of backed up when the dog lunged at him... I think that I got throug to him, because he left real soon after that. I wished that I had said something sooner.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I say good for you, we need more people to speak out to make it safe and comfortable for our pets.

I was at a dog fun show with Hitch a while back and someone had this huge muscular dog, not sure of the breed. It was trying to attack any dog near it. When we were in line near this dog, I was trying to make sure I was far enough away from it, it came lunging snarling with its teeth showing at Hitch. I yelled at the owner to keep control of his dog and leave if he cannot. I also told him that if his dog bites someone's that the dog that got bit will be hurt, and he may get sued. My poor Hitchy just kind of backed up when the dog lunged at him... I think that I got throug to him, because he left real soon after that. I wished that I had said something sooner.
Poor Hitch! You were just right to speak up. Controlling a dog is all a mandatory part of its growth. People don't realise this. Sure, dogs can react in circumstances and that's normal but it's learning to control this that's key. Self-control is just as important as obedience after all!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts