Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't have a quesiton per say - just a discussion I suppose.
My 8 year old Black Mouth Cur Mix (I got her at apx 4 years old) has a wart like thing on her tail. I will say cauliflower- for lack of better terms. It is black. I have had many other issues with her, not medical personality, but this one has given me the most trouble. Occasionally this thing breaks open and bleeds as it is on the tip of her long tail. Then my home proceeds to look like Dexter was here with blood splatter everywhere.
The vet wants to amputate her tail. Their words not mine. Docking it would have stung slightly less as I was on the floor holding my bleeding dog.

So I asked for conservative treatment.
Shes on an NSAID and Antibiotic. While it hasn't bled again, I have been wrapping her tail. Do you know how hard that is. Most difficult. I found ways to be semi- successful. Moving on.
I am putting Vitamin E oil on it- to prevent it from drying out and breaking open again exposing her to infection..yadi yadi..
I am adding an additional part-
Thuja Occidentalis 30c to her Medication list to see if that helps.

Anyone have any experience in this area.
I do not know that it is canine papilloma. My friend had the exact same thing (looking) removed from the torso of his body and it came back benign. His has not reoccured yet.

0-1.jpeg 0.jpeg

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
My dog has a small wart on his side. Very small, not as big as the one on your dog, but still a wart.

I looked up a bunch of different all natural ways to help get rid of it. I started applying white vinegar three times a day and then coconut oil after the vinegar is dry.

The idea behind the vinegar is a blog post I read. A mom health blog, http://wholenewmom.com/health-concerns/the-easiest-and-cheapest-natural-wart-treatment/. So this woman decided to use urine... Um yeah, I just decided to go with white vinegar because, seriously, I'm not about to use urine... that's just not normal lol.

I figure it would work just as good, similar to a jellyfish sting where white vinegar has been proven to be just as effective, if not more so, than urine. I'm also thinking about trying ACV instead but I'm not sure if I want to risk trying anything new because the wart had shrunk in size :)

I've read vitamin E is also really good for warts. Another thing I'm thinking about trying is Manuka honey.

The only problem really is that it's recommended to soak a cotton ball in whatever (the vinegar, coconut oil, ESC) and keep that on the wart with the use of tape. That's pretty much impossible with a dog especially on his side. Maybe, since the wart your dog has is on his tail, you could try to use medical bandages to rap a soaked cotton ball in place on the wart.

Now my only concern is, does the vet want to remove the tail just because of the bleeding or is there a risk of cancer? I just don't understand why else he would feel that something like that is necessary. It seems a little over dramatic for something as simple as a wart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I am going to see how she responds to this- just for trial and error purposes first.
The vet said amputation because the location of the wart- and how the vascularity of the tail is- it would be difficult to heal properly without whacking it (I think ) and the risk of it coming back. This vet (not mine) who said that was not as therapeutic/sensative as I would have liked- so the vet I was working with asked another vet with experience. He said he had a poodle with this, he docked long- and it came back so they ended up doing a boxer doc and it didn't come back. I'm willing to dock her - after I have tried alternatives. I would consider docking- not because its a wart and its gross looking- but because when it is bleeding, I have to wrap her up and limit her play and monitor her tail whacking abilities.. :) I don't think they were worried about cancer at all. I think its more of an immune thing. We just moved into a new home and acquired a new dog also- (which she is kinda antisocial) so I think the move made her more stressed than she showed me.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
OK, that makes sense. From what I've read warts do typically come back after being removed. That's why I haven't bothered with it and I'm just trying to get it to go away naturally.

I think what you're doing should be effective. I've read a lot of good things about thuja. If you're worried about it being an immune thing you could also try giving her some immune boosting things like a vitamin c supplement.

I would also be kind of concerned about giving NSAIDs which can weaken the immune system and might be counterproductive to healing the wart. Unless she's in a lot of pain, then her over all comfort is obviously the most important thing.

I'm also not really a fan of antibiotics. If your worried about infection there is a lot of really good information about manuka honey and scientific studies showing that it's extremely effective at killing bacteria. Or, I would at least give some probiotics or fermented foods. The gut is one of the most important places for immune health.

I'm kind of a health nut though lol. I'm not really into taking medications and I'm more likely to eat manuka honey or apply it to my skin then take antibiotics. So, if you feel like what your doing is working then just ignore me. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried the ACV and it dries it out- but on her location its so hard to keep it there.

While the bleeding has become less intense, and didn't bleed for a good week, she keeps hitting it when I take her out of her kennel, and then blood splatter and wrapped up again. The Thuja seems to have shrunk it some and less vascular-

I feel like I am going to be fighting this for quite some time- and am starting to consider the docking thing. I am home now so it's easy for me to check on her, but I start my new job and she will be 10 hours in her kennel.
I feel like a bad dog mom and that I failed if I get her docked. I just dont know what to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts