Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my almost 18 year old Sheltie in to the Vet last week hoping to walk out with pain meds after noticing his struggle to get up, and to climb stairs, etc. After the examination, the vet concluded that pain (from arthritis or whatever) was not the cause, for the most part, and that his back legs were just weak from his advanced age.

Since then, I've noticed an even greater deterioration in his ability to get up (though he still does it, and even still climbs stairs when he feels he needs to), and he's walking more unsteadily than ever. Does anyone have any advice on ways to assist him in improving his ability to stand, walk, and climb? Thank you!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have a 15 yr old germ shep/boxer mix with the same problem. it's not arthritis, but muscle degeneration. You can use a looped towel as a sling to help her stand. But I would block off any stairs, because their legs can give out at any time, and letting her go up/down is dangerous. Carry her up/down if needed. Not much can be done for muscle degeneration. Sometimes massage/light exercise daily can help. But with age it is kind of inevitable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, that's what I thought. A friend who is a very active animal rescue / caregiver recommended that I give him the Rimadyl the vet gave me everyday anyway, and also recommended a helpemup harness, which she found extremely helpful for her larger dog. I'm going to start giving him the rimadyl daily, as she recommends, but hold off on the harness because, frankly, he's only 26 lbs and I can easily help him up or even pick him up and carry him up the stairs. And when I say "stairs", I'm really only speaking about the 4 stairs leading up to my front porch or the one step up onto the back deck or from the family room into the kitchen. He almost never goes upstairs to the bedroom area anymore. Again, thanks for your response.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Have you looked into tumeric and making the golden paste? I am giving my dogs this paste. My big dog that has been limping on and off has been taking this for 2 weeks and today we went for a walk to see how he does and after 20 minutes - no limp. Usually, there is a limp at the beginning of the walk. For my 15 yr old dog that hobbles around, I haven't seen any major changes.

http://www.turmericlife.com.au/turmeric-recipes-golden-paste/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts