Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a mom of 3 human children and 3 cats. I am looking for a dog. I absolutely adore pugs but I am looking to rescue and there are no breed specific rescues around here.
The only worry I have with pugs is their squished noses because I like to take a mile (or so) walk or two every day.
Anyway I have been watching the local rescue and there is a papillon now. I thought that may be a good dog for us.
One thing I like about rescues is that they evaluate them and temperament test them and he says good with children and other pets.
There is a pug I am waiting to hear on also but they want a temporary home and I really don't want to do that.
Anyway thanks for reading. I see there is another thread on paps so I will go read on...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm about in the same boat as you. I'm a stay at home mom of 2 kids, 3 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 1 rat and recently I acquired a Pekingese. I saw the thread on Papillons and I know next to nothing about them and am curious too learn about them. I started researching the breed, beginning with that was the breed standard. They seem much more dainty that my tank of a Peke. I chose the Peke because they're low energy dogs, but a long daily walk (which I want to do) is good for them, and are rather inactive indoors (a plus for me.) Peke's don't handle heat very well, but then again I don't either. Even though my Peke is a small dog, she's hefty and stout. After reading about Papillons they seem like a great breed and actually don't have some of medical problems a Peke has. Peke's often have breathing issues because of flat face (Pugs sometimes have these problems too). Regardless of breed, you'll find the dog you want and you'll just know it. I'd never heard of the Pekingese breed until I asked about small dog breeds and when I simply googled Pekingese I knew it was the breed for me.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Where's our resident pap expert? I'm sure she'll show up.

Paps are a lot of dog in a small package, and should be able to keep up with you for a mile or two (or more). I really like paps, personally, though I've never owned one. They do require regular grooming, but no breed is entirely without grooming requirements.

I would contact the rescue and let them know you're interested. Just be honest about your life and what you want and I'm sure they can help you find the right dog for you and your family. Thank you for rescuing!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did call and talk to the rescue. As he is a newly foster dog they want to keep him for a week to evaluate him.
They told me to go ahead and fill out the applications though.

:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts