Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. I am having some issues when taking Stella for a walk. She is 3 months and couple weeks old. Here is the story:
When I take her for a walk on my own, she almost always cooperates. She walks briskly beside me, doesn't try to attack the leaves on the sidewalk, etc. At least, she was like this. Now, when we (my boyfriend and I) take her for a walk together, its a whole different experience. He usually holds the leash, and she tries to get me the whole time. Our walk turns into a frustrating time. She constantly tries to grab my pants or try to bite me in some way. She also barks at me. I try to walk out of her line of sight (next to him or behind her), but she always seems to find me.
Well, I took her for a walk by myself today (we went together earlier) and she was a terror. She kept exhibiting the same things as when we are together. I made her sit, but that didn't last too long until she was trying to get me again. We turned around and went home. (which wasn't even HALF a block away... we really didn't make it far at all). Needless to say, my boyfriend took her for a walk instead, and she was perfect.

My frustration comes from her only doing this to me and always being bad for me and not him. Its irritating.

Sorry for ranting more than explaining. Any advice would be nice. I live in an apartment (and she does get the zoomies at least once a day) so these walks are crucial for her physical stimulation. I want to be able to get through them with ZERO bruises! HELP!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You might want to try a hard leash. Basically a long wooden dowel with a collar clip.
Not the most comfortable device to work with but, you can get back to walking nicely as she won't be able to reach you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I type "hard leash" and "wooden leash" into google, all that comes up is leash holders. Do you know where I can go via internet to find more about these types of leashes? They sound helpful for my situation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you tried having her submit on her back or side when she acts up like this? Just curious. I used to do that in the early stages when Bella would act up a bit and after a while it went away.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Have you tried having her submit on her back or side when she acts up like this? Just curious. I used to do that in the early stages when Bella would act up a bit and after a while it went away.
I don't think this is a 'dominance' problem.. I think it's far more productive to actually teach the puppy what it needs to do rather than punish it for doing wrong. :)

You might want to look into clicker training, along with TooneyDog's suggestion. (You may be able to make a leash like that by threading a regular leash through a PVC pipe.) Once conditioned to the clicker, you can c/t her for walking nicely without pulling, lunging or biting.

You could also try to spray a nasty scent, like those bitter apple sprays, on your pants (and even arms if she jumps up) in hopes that the smell and taste will deter her and make the behavior unpleasant.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have put tried putting her on her back when she acts up inside, but not outside on walks. I think I also need to get over my fear of what others think. I live in a busy area of my Chicago neighborhood and I don't like yelling or being too mean out there for what others might say. But she does embarrass me sometimes... a lot of the time.

I wish she didn't like that Bitter stuff! Unfortunately, she loves the taste (the little weirdo!) I'm not sure how to execute clicker training, I may have to do some research on it.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I'm sure there is some scent that she absolutely abhors. For mine, the smell of doggy toothpaste drove her off the wall. It no longer does, but it sure did clear out the room in the beginning..

Please, do not scruff her roll her or yell at her. If you do those things, you might stop the biting, but create a dog who is afraid of you and/or shut down psychologically. This is not a dominance issue, this is puppy who seems to have not developed full bite inhibition. There are many other ways to solve this problem.

There is a sticky on top of this forum regarding clicker training. It is not hard to learn at all.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You can make a hard leash from a plain wooden dowel from the hardware store, one eye screw and a leash clip. Cost is less than $5. Even cheaper is to slip the leash through a length of PVC pipe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts