Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I take a brisk walk every day which last about one hour. We will soon be the proud owners of a Labrador Retriever puppy. My question is: At about what age will it be safe to take him on this daily walk.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Agree about checking with your vet and waiting until he's had all his shots.

When you do begin, make sure you've got plenty of water with you and offer it to him often especially on hot days.

Remember that dogs think it is their duty to stay with you (keep up with you) and not complain, even though they are being pushed beyond their limits.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I wouldn't force exercise with your new pup. I would save the brisk hour walks for you and take leisure walks with him. Walk at his pace and let him start and stop when he needs to. You don't want to stress those growing joints and bones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with everything said. Maybe I should have stated my request differently. When will his skelton structure develope enough that it will be safe to take him on the brisk walks.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I agree with everything said. Maybe I should have stated my request differently. When will his skelton structure develope enough that it will be safe to take him on the brisk walks.
If I can remember correctly, I believe the rule of thumb is 5 minutes of continuous walking for every month they are old. But use that as a guide only and use common sense, if the pup has trouble keeping up you take it down a notch and vice versa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts