Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, right now I'm trying to walk all three dogs at once which is kind of difficult. Kodi likes to take the lead (not pulling on the leash or anything, he's just more confident when he goes for walks), Gizmo who's very confident in walking as well, and Taz, the shy guy. So I've basically got three dogs all walking at different speeds and it causes problems such as tangling of leashes and and Kodi wanting to go on when the puppies are sniffing and vice versa.

Should I walk them seperately until the puppies get more accustomed to walking? I would also like to go to the bus stop by my house so I can get the puppies socialized with other people besides our family and I think it would be easier to do this individually with each puppy. And I would also like them to socialize with other dogs. There's a no kill animal shelter that does meet and greets so I'm thinking about doing that as well.

Opinions? Tips? Suggestions? All are more than welcome.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Maybe put the puppies on a tandem leash? I think it would be best for the shy one to walk with one of the other dogs, so it can see how they react to everything and it might give him more confidence.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I say walk them separately. It's much easier to train the puppies on the leash, or continue their training, if they're separate. Also, it's helpful in case one of them reacts badly to something. You don't want the others to catch on, and react badly as well.....
Plus, it will give you one on one time with each dog. Even with the shyer one, I would think you could try to get him to relax more, and come out of his shell, if he's by himself. If he's always with the other 2 dogs, he will feel like he can always hang back because they're there to protect him....

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I walk all my dogs apart from each other as I use the time to train and get rid of those pre-rescue haunting habits. If we all go to the park after our traditional walk around the neighborhood I will walk Misty on one leash (Sibe) and Dawson and Sierra on one with a "splitter" or whatever the technical term for it is. I put Misty on one side of me and Dawson and Sierra on the other. That generally keeps everyone untangled and walking forward and not all around.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I walk mine two separately, for the same reason as you, they get tangled. They also egg each other on and bark and lunge at things that they don't even notice when they are walk separately. It's handy for giving them some training on walks too, like asking them to sit and down at regular intervals, which helps to generalise these behaviours.

If you want to walk them together, I would work on them at home, teaching them all where you want them to walk. Say, one puppy on each side and the older one either in front or next to one of the puppies (opposite side from you). I think this is a must if you want to walk dogs together, they need to be assigned a spot and only cross over to the other side when asked to.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Sometimes I walk them together (in various combinations of 2), and sometimes I walk them separately. So far I haven't taken all 3 out together, but I probably will at some point when Squash is older. I find I really enjoy the alone time with each dog on individual walks even though it's more time consuming, but I also want them to get used to all different combinations of going out or being left behind.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I have four, and they're all different speeds. Magpie likes to dink around and takes her sweet slow time walking and we have to watch for kids because she isn't child friendly, while Jack and Smalls are confident, and Jonas loves to run and needs an eye kept out due to being DA and not entirely people friendly. Clove is a pup so half the walk is run, run, run and the other half is "WHAT IS THAT?"

Currently we do groups. Smalls and Jonas walk together, Jack and Clove walk together, and Magpie walks by herself. We go different lengths and routes so that helps, too.

·
Registered
419 Posts
with my puppy and larger dog, sometimes I walk them together and sometimes apart.

Depends on how much patience I have at the time lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well today I decided to walk all of my boys seperately. It went really well. I'm dog tired (pun intended) but it was fun to spend time with all my boys and have some one on one time.

Taz came out of his shell a little bit more. He only got scared twice. Once when this plastic bag came out of no where, and the second time when we were at the bus stop and some lady dropped her keys. He did really well. I spent most of the time getting him accustomed to different kinds of people and situations. We sat infront of Rite Aid on the grass to take a break and he just chilled and got tummy rubs. On the way home I stopped at the nearby vet's office to get him some water (well, I had the water just no bowl to put it in >.<) and he met a dog that had just had his leg amputated and had come in for a follow up appointment. His name was Moose lol and he was quite cute. He also got fawned over by several vet assistants. Such a little lady's man...

Gizmo really enjoyed his walk. We met different people and stopped to rest on the bench by the bus stop. A little girl asked me if she could pet him and I told her "sure". Gizmo loved it. I loved that he loved it. We also met this really sweet little old latino lady who asked to hold him. I said "sure" and she baby talked him in spanish lol We also passed by the Taqueria near my house (Gizmo did NOT want to leave lol) and I promised Gizmo we'd stop there for lunch sometime.

Kodi did well, I walked him a little farther than I normally do. I now have him sitting when we come to a cross walk and we wait for the "walk" signal. I'm actually trying to do this with all three of my boys and so far its working out really well. We met this nurse who was on her break near the Rite Aid and she fell in love with Kodi. I even told Kodi to sit for her and she was impressed and told him what a good boy he was lol it made me so proud.

Well, all I can say now is that I am completely exhausted. ^____^ And happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts