Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really don't know what to do now. i'm sure i'm not the only one.. but when i let him off the leash, even in a huge field or park... there's always a dog somewhere and i gotta keep looking over my shoulder incase... because when my dog see's another dog he likes to go play with them. but almost EVERY time he goes to play with the other dog they keep snapping at him. my dog just stands and smells them and they snap at him... ruins the whole walk. i have to put him on the leash otherwise the owners get upset. kinda sucks cause i enjoy letting my dog run around free in a big area. it seems i can almost never let him run around. he doesn't get as much exercise if i'm walking him on the leash.

also, i just got him last night as some of you know. this new house is very different than my other places. i live on a road now and it's very busy. i use to live in a court... it was nice to let him run around the front yard. not anymore though. anyone else live on a busy road... hows the life style for you and your dog living that way?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Safety first, and that means keeping the dog on a leash, unless the area is fenced in. I agree that walks are not much exercise for a dog. There are many ways to provide adequate exercise besides letting a dog run loose in a field. I live in the City, and while the street I live on isn't busy, cars travel on it, so that's not where I want my dogs to venture! Once or twice a week they get to run on the beach; the rest of the time they're out in the back yard doing their version of the Indy 500 around the Kumquat tree, utilizing the few pieces of agility equipment I have for them, and playing interactive games. They're crazy about the SlipNSlide I bought them, though I'm not too crazy about the wet mess! LOL Obedience work and Freestyle Dance does a pretty good job of tiring them out, too.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Unless you are at a dog park where the dog is expected to be off leash, you shouldn't have your dog off leash if they aren't 100% relaiable about staying with you/coming when called. They could run into the street and get killed. Also, I would be extremely pissed off if someone's unleashed dog came running up to mine when I am walking my leashed dogs. That's a really good way to start a serious fight. It's also VERY rude of the owner, and inconsiderate. Many dogs are leash aggressive and react to other dogs .

Take your dog to a dog park or take up jogging, biking or rollerblading with them to give him additional exercise.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I agree with both above

Unless your dog has a solid recall, it shouldnt be offleash. If i was walking my dog onleash, and your dog ran up there would be 2 senarios.

1)My dog bites your dog.
2) I may bite you, not really but I will chew you out for letting your dog run up to mine.

My dog is leash reactive. he doesnt want to kill every dog onleash, but some dogs he does. I dont know if your dog would be one. he wasnt always liek this. its all becuase ignorent owners let there dogs just run up to my dog with out a care, and some have been aggressive, which now makes my dog on edge when a loose dog races up to him.

My dog can sit and stay while another dog pass's with out moving. if your dog can not do that offleash, then he shouldnt be offleash, period.

Find a local dog park, or buy a long leash (30 feet or so)and start training your dog. Its very rude to let your dog just run up to any dog. My dog is amazing offleash. And if asked I would let him meet and great with another friendly dog, I have no proble,m with that. Some of his best friends are neighboorhood dogs I have seen walking for a long time, and seen how well behaved their dogs were and began talking tot hem, which turned out to be good matchs for my dog to walk with and play with. find some other dog people, set up play dates.

Dont just let your dog run up to other dogs. you are setting your dog up for a attack.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I agree with the previous posters. If I'm walking my dog on a leash like I'm supposed to and I'm not in an off leash area I don't expect unleashed dogs to run up to mine. I'm going to be ticked at you if that happens because I don't know your dog, I don't know what he's like and I don't know what kind of training he has. Take up roller blading or biking (depending on the energy level of your dog). I went blading with Zero for just 20 minutes the other day before I hurt my back. Wore him out enough that when we got home he peed, then collapsed and slept the rest of the day.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
If the other dogs that are snapping at your dog are leashed, that is probably the biggest problem right there. Many leashed dogs feel defensive being approached by off leash dogs when they would normally be fine. If your dog likes other dogs and you like letting him run off leash, you might try a dog park. Some people love them, some people hate them, but it may work out for you. You could also check out local ball fields, not all of them allow dogs, but the one near me does in the off season and we go there some. It's fully fenced.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
In my city it's plain illegal to have your dog off leash.

But yeah if you can't keep your dog from running up to other dogs or whatever interests it when off leash, it shouldn't be off leash.

Maybe get one of those 50 foot or longer leashes, or a another type of long line.

I'll be using one for training in the parks around my place, because as I said it's illegal not to. That and I wouldn't anyway unless I can keep my dog with me and not running to anything it wants to.

I've been looking around the petsmart and petco but they don't seem to sell them, so I'm looking at this one.

http://www.bestdogtrainingleash.com/2008/12/best-dog-training-leash-for-sale/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.