Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a puppy from the shelter when she was 6 weeks old.....she's now three months. I waited until she had all her shots before I took her out for walks. At first she liked it and I had no trouble. I recently took her to a dog park to try and socialize her with other dogs and she seemed scared, never leaving my side for a second. Now whenever I try and walk her, she just sits. I dont want to pull her because I dont want to further complicate the training. Is it because she is going through a rebel phase and doesn't want to do as I say or is it because I took her to the park and shes scared that a walk means scary little chihuahaus that are smaller than her :D How can I get my dog to walk on the leash without having to pull her and try and course her. And how can I socialize with other dogs if she's scared of them?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm going to get thoroughly and severely bashed for this, but I'm going to make this suggestion anyway. I saw Cesar Milan (start your bashing now) deal with a pit bull who refused to walk and who's owner had to drag him around. He took a bag of dog treats and held it in front of the dogs nose and above the dogs head. The dog got up and started walking toward the bag of treats and voila, the walk was on. Soon the dog was walking on a leash with very few problems.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, that's true. You must arm yourself with treats. Whenever you try to walk your dog, and when he is walking along, give him lots of praise and treats. If she refuses to walk, encourage her softly and patiently. Bring some of her toys with you, and of course the treats. Your pup is still young so you just need to be patient in training her. You can also enrol her in obedience class. As for socialization, you can introduce her to things one at a time. You can read more here: http://www.perfectpaws.com/pup1.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts