Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know I have two dogs today was first day walking both my dogs to get the insight of what they do. I'm curious how you do it?

Do you walk your dogs together on a walk or do you walk them separately, walk one return home & walk the other one?

Another question is IF you do walk both the dogs at same time do you use separate leashs or a two coupler leash where the dogs are attach to one other

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
This depends on the day and situation for me. If my dogs are particularly energetic that day, I'll walk them separately. When I walk them together, if I'm going to an open space where I want to let them use the entirety of the leash and sniff around, then I'll walk them each on a regular leash. If I'm going someplace where I'll have to keep them by my side, then I'll use the coupler.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I rotate my dogs and walk them every other day. Dog 1 on Mon, Dog 2 on Tues, etc... My dogs are weird. They walk just fine on a loose leash when they're separate, but if you put them together they just go nuts and pull every which way as hard as they can.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If I walk all 7 I use 3 couplers 2 dogs on each and then 1 single leash. They do fine on them. If they are super hyper I walk them either 1 at a time or 2 at a time.

·
Registered
688 Posts
7 dogs? Oh boy! I'd be tired by time I got to the 3rd dog lmao how do you do it? Sonn also thank you for the input as well :)
7 dogs isn't so hard lol If they are calm when we go out and one gets a burst of energy then they all follow if can get a bit out of hand :p

·
Registered
643 Posts
I walk my 3 on 3 seperate leashes. I tried a coupler, but Brigit wouldn't have it. Tried for weeks, just wasn't on her agenda. They walk better on diff. leashes anyway, so it's not really a problem. I walk 4 when my sisters dog stays with us. That's when it get to where teh dogs weigh more than me, it's fun.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ive tried walking both dogs at once. Its a lil hard cuz my lab wants to play with the other and he doesnt want too. Last year i would take one dog for a walk then go take the other one. When my husband and i go to the park or beach or whereever we take both dogs. I did try the coupler thing and yea, that didnt work, lol. They have to have seperate leashes.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I walk mine separately unless I have a friend or family member joining me. I have a coupler, but it doesn't work cause PJ is quite a bit taller than Tysa.

I prefer walking them separately anyway. Gives me some one on one time with them. They get to be together in the house/yard, at the lake, the park....etc.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I walk mine both together and separate. In the mornings only Belle goes, in the evening, they both go. I walk them both on regular leashes.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I usually walk four at once. Everyone has their own four foot leash. I usually have two dogs on each side, but sometimes I do four all together or 3 on one side, 1 on the other. Just depends. I'd walk more but the roads are only so wide LOL

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
We've got three and there are two of us. Two are very good on the leash (well, the doxie pulls a bit when interested in something, but he's 10 lbs and not very over powering) and one is a reactive mess. We talk them together, and one of us will have her, and the other will have the other two. I NEVER walk them all together at once by myself. I'll take my two males together, but my female is working and needs a lot of attention on the leash.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'm curious doesn't it make the other dog jealous Hulkamaniac when you're walking the Dog 1 one monday but dog 2 on Tuesday?
Jealously is a human emotion, and in most cases would require that the dog be envious and spiteful (they are innocent creatures, so I do not believe they experience such hurtful emotions). Dogs do compete for attention, and some resource guard their humans (if not properly trained). Some might even get stressed out and poop on the floor or chew something up if you don't take them instead, but that's not jealousy. It's the dog's inability to cope with you being gone.

When I take Shippo out instead of Eevee, she's just a little disappointed, and sits down and waits for us to return. When we do return, she acts like it's been 100 years, and is SO HAPPY that we're back, she forgot she was even alone lol.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've tried to walk my dog and my parent's wheaten at once and it is always more work than its worth. The wheaten runs all over the place, picks up sticks and pokes my dog in the eye trying to get him to play. Then my dog yanks on the lead because doesn't want to be behind the other dog in the pack. Sometimes they walk nicely and I think "okay, I'll go one more block". Then I'm two blocks from home and things go terribly wrong. I probably look like a crazy person all wrapped up in the leashes :)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I walk my four together, on separate leashes, the two adult Standard Poodles on the outside left and right, the puppy and the Shih Tzu in the middle, walking in front of me.

I also walk the Poodles individually, especially the puppy, to keep her focusing on me while on leash. Will also walk the adult Poodles together, one on each side, or in tandem at my left. The Tzu, being so much smaller, manages to keep up fairly well, but, in summer months it's too hot and humid here in FL for walks, other than those of short duration.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Kechara is allowed off leash on walks because she has a phenomenal recall that I trust. But Hawk and Jack and both walked on leash I usually use a flexi for Hawk so he can run around a bit but Jack dons't run much so I just use a regular 6' for him

·
Registered
111 Posts
I walk mine seperalty if I am walking them alone. Bella and Andromeda go for a run with me and my stepson in the mornings. I take Lady for a walk in the middle of the day when there is less of a chance of comming across other dogs since she does not care for small dogs at all. Andromeda and I go for an hour long or so walk most nights(this is my alone time after dealing with kids and thier homework) I do not walk Bella at all, she is uncontolllable for anyone but my stepson on a leash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts