Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a US citizen living in India and I got a boxer to help me feel a little like I am at home. SHe is a 4 month puppy now and I have started taking her on walks outside the compound. The street dogs here fight for their lives and when we enter their territory the raise a fuss. What should I do? I shouldn't let them get near my puppy should I? I carried a bamboo stick with me yesterday to threaten any of the strays who pushed it. THis may cause problems later. DOn't know? Should I tray to make peace with them or just keep threatening them, Most of these dogs are basically wiled. They don't have any shots, may have rabies, and many are mangy and loosing there hare. Any suggestions

·
Banned
894 Posts
This is why most Indians I know dislike dogs. There only exposure to dogs are these feral dogs.

I don't think you or your dog should have any contact with these dogs, even if that means traveling to another part of the city to walk you dog.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
KaseyT that was at the least a very overgeneralized statement. More than that it was misinformed and a bit rude.

At least in Jaipur plenty of the Indians I knew liked dogs well enough though there is a huge distinction between pet dogs and stray dogs. In fact the family I stayed with had a cocker spaniel. Their attitudes towards pet care are different from the Western one, but plenty of people have pet dogs. You may want to ask some locals how they deal with the situation. I remember seeing a lot of dogs being walked around town and they weren't exactly carrying sticks so my guess is there have some trick. It may also be that since a lot of street dogs are wary of people they will avoid getting too close to you. Or they may just have to get used to seeing you and your dog.

I guess in the meantime you will have to walk with a bamboo pole or something. It just kind of breaks my heart to think about because I feel so bad for these poor animals. They are abused and often injured by cars, people and other animals. But for the protection of your pet you gotta do what you gotta do.

Depending on where you are if there is a particular dog causing huge problems you may be able to call an NGO or local animal welfare organization and they can come at least make sure the dogs are vaccinated against major diseases that could be passed to your dog. The one in Jaipur was called "Help in Suffering" and they had a pretty decent veterinary clinic as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Max'sHuman for the tips. I'll try it and see. I do think they might get used to us and maybe as my dog gets bigger they will be a little more submissive. I do think there is a group here somewhere that looks into these dogs maybe a I will contact them.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
rickarnold, I live in Mexico and it's the same thing here. Mangy, sick, feral strays everywhere. When I walk my dogs they'll run up on us. Fortunately I have 4 large to XLG dogs that are not afraid so the strays will back off when they see mine ready for them. If I had only one dog, or smaller dogs, I think I'ld be in trouble and inclined to carry a cattle prod. Normally wouldn't be my first choice on how to deal with strays but given the situation there isn't much choice.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts