Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to teach my almost 18 week old Shih tzu to walk beside me on a leash. Generally he does a pretty good job but sometimes when he walks beside me, he looks at my legs, then tries to attach them, by jumping and barking. What do i do to stop the behaviour?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
He is a baby. He wants to play. I would have a toy with me and engage him with that so that walking beside you is not boring but is rewarding. I would bring out the toy and play a little with him BEFORE he gets bored to the point of initiating the play.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
"Mark" the desired, calm, attentive walking with a word such as yes or good ... and then immediately after each mark strategically throw a tiny tidbit of food on the ground, slightly in front of him, while you continue moving along. Practicing on concrete sidewalks so the treat is easy to find, as opposed to grass or stone pathways, and utilizing hot dog bits or smelly cheese usually seem to work best.

Using a toy, while not a terrible idea, can run the risk of the dog learning that "walk time = bite / play time".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going to start to bring treats with me. He did it again this morning. Very aggressive behaviour. He is going through an interesting phase now. Testing us and growling more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts